Wiki Posts
Search

Pricing Error from Orlando?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
GGU/instant upgrades still generate revenue!

James
mileage seats generate "revenue" by removing mileage debt from the books. is a cash ticket + GGU worth more than 25K miles? apparently so, in AS' eyes.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
mileage seats generate "revenue" by removing mileage debt from the books. is a cash ticket + GGU worth more than 25K miles? apparently so, in AS' eyes.
And of course they have that debt because selling miles generates revenue (either from credit card companies or partner airlines when Mileage Plan members credit partner flights to AS).
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
is a cash ticket + GGU worth more [to AS] than 25K?
In almost all cases, yes.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
My sincerest of apologies for the typo/mis-stating the lowest first class saver award level. If Alaska had done the same, then there might be a legitimate false advertising claim here, but still don't see it.
Im sorry if anyone took offense or became “pedantic,”

I just did not want any misinformation out there. F class seats in the 48 contiguous domestically (or some short flights to Canada) are 25k miles each way for saver space.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ashill

The one thing that that surprises me is U7 with no Saver award seats available. I would think the relative value of miles to upgrades would be skewed a little differently.
Why should you be surprised? If only Full Y is available you would need to purchase a Full Y fare to use the GGU to upgrade to F. That would generate a lot more revenue than the value of the miles for a saver F award. Sometimes purchasing F outright is cheaper than purchasing an immediately upgradable fare for MVPG75K.

It really depends on the market too. For me it is significantly cheaper to fly LAX-SEA-YLW than it is to fly SEA-YLW even thought you are on the same SEA-YLW flight so if I am returning from an international destination I prefer LAX/SFO to SEA. Cheaper to get home and more EQM. This is true also with awards as "married segments" where there is no saver space on a flight between two major points but there is if you add on a flight to a smaller outstation. I have seen this with QF too where there is F space LAX-SYD/MEL-HKG bookable with QF miles but no F space on the LAX-SYD/MEL segment if booking that segment alone which would otherwise be bookable with AS miles.

Just for curiosity, have you tried adding a smaller flight in conjunction with MCO such as MCO-SEA-BLI/GEG/YLW/YVR/YYJ?

James
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Why should you be surprised? If only Full Y is available you would need to purchase a Full Y fare to use the GGU to upgrade to F. That would generate a lot more revenue than the value of the miles for a saver F award. Sometimes purchasing F outright is cheaper than purchasing an immediately upgradable fare for MVPG75K.
Well, no GGU needed (or possible) to upgrade from Y, even for MVPs. But the fact that Y is all that’s for sale doesn’t mean there’s no one booked in a cheaper fare class. (In the post I made that comment about, the OP was no longer talking about the MCO-SEA flight with only full Y for sale.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.