Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

"A as in Awesome" - AS announces new boarding process (zone based)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

https://blog.alaskaair.com/travel-tips/group-boarding/

let the kvetching begin!

sounds like they are keeping the existing underlying structure, but relabeling the groups with letters instead of by cabin/status & row number.

one change is that they are separating F from 75k/golds in coach, the latter of which will now constitute group A and the F cabin will be a dedicated "preboard" announcement.

i'm surprised they didnt lump credit card holders into group B.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Jun 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
https://twitter.com/AlaskaAir/status...92529574236160

https://blog.alaskaair.com/travel-tips/group-boarding/

let the kvetching begin!

sounds like they are keeping the existing underlying structure, but relabeling the groups with letters instead of by cabin/status, and then row number.
No kvetching here. I love it. Much clearer. But only if it comes with a secret button leading to a trapdoor to vanquish gate lice so I don’t have to constantly fight my way to the gate.
Eastbay1K, DaveH, sea_jeff and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
lipstick on a pig i believe the the correct phrase?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
https://twitter.com/AlaskaAir/status...92529574236160

i'm surprised they didnt lump credit card holders into group B.
I'm glad they didn't. This is my first year as MVP rather than MVPG, and it's not very elite at all. If they'd dumped credit card passengers in there too, that would have been a step too far in degrading what already feels like pretty useless status.
flatdawgs, pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Blog article does not speak to partner elites, I presume the current protocol will be carried over into the new format.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Buster
I'm glad they didn't. This is my first year as MVP rather than MVPG, and it's not very elite at all. If they'd dumped credit card passengers in there too, that would have been a step too far in degrading what already feels like pretty useless status.
in their never ending quest to align with the big 3, this would've been a logical step, since the 25K level status at AA/DL/UA gets lumped into the same zone as CC holders. that's why i was surprised they didn't, but as a fellow MVP, also grateful that it didnt happen (yet)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Personally am glad to see that Gold/75K will be separated out from MVP. I think that's been the "official" boarding order in the past, but in practice, many gate agents just lumped all elites into a single boarding call. On elite-heavy routes, this meant a mad dash of nearly half the plane trying to board at once, so pre-coded boarding groups will help this a bit.

Personally, I think it would be nice to give CC holders a perk to board a bit earlier, as well (and adds more value to the card for non-elites). Why not just add another group before general main cabin boarding and have them board then?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave1013
Blog article does not speak to partner elites, I presume the current protocol will be carried over into the new format.
I dont think AA members are part of elite boarding anymore.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Finally!

Now, enforce it...
Eastbay1K and QT31415 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
More interesting to me is the redesigned boarding card shown in the blog post:

Some solid information design there, grouping together the gate and boarding time, and boarding group and seat. Makes you realize how haphazard the old boarding card was.

Neil
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dave1013
What partner elites?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
lipstick on a pig i believe the the correct phrase?
I believe this will pair well with the large monitors that have been installed at many stations. I was very glad to see DL starting to use the monitors to SHOW boarding groups since the !@#&^% speakers are outputting 2 dB of static-laden junk that I can't hear because I want to sit down and the only available seats are 25 feet+ from the gate area. T2 SFO is much better than T1 SFO, but places like MSP, SEA (N), SAN that have older overhead speakers that are inaudible. Dammit I must be gettin' old! <kvetching about speakers complete >

Edit: I would bet there will be 4 fewer gate lice per mainline flight - enough to perhaps allow a slight gap through which to squeeze oneself through.
EditEdit: But not enough room to squeeze through with your 46 linear inch rollaboard

Last edited by DrAlex; Jun 6, 2018 at 12:41 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Are they going to keep the F/Gold+ line and the Y line? I have been known to just show up and use the F line in the middle of Y boarding when I'm Gold...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Seems reasonable to me, except boarding back to front, while logical for flow, still runs into the issue where folks in "C" drop their bag in the first overhead bin they see, messing it up for group "D".
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex
I believe this will pair well with the large monitors that have been installed at many stations.
You mean like this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.