Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

"A as in Awesome" - AS announces new boarding process (zone based)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"A as in Awesome" - AS announces new boarding process (zone based)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Why not make the F line closer to the BP scanner. Gate agent can barely see that F/elite is waiting to board. I always end up standing looking there like an idiot. Even worse there with the merge of the lines so far back.
It would cost too much to print the sign the other way! 😂
CDKing likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Critic

Maybe I’m missing a nuance here, but...isn’t this just the VX boarding process?

Yes -- pretty much. I think group E is missing, though -- and IIRC children/families/disabilities boarded AFTER First/MCS/Gold/Silver.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Maybe the could put up some posts and give people numbers within the letter group. Seems like it would be pretty orderly that way
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 75K
Smf heard you!

Originally Posted by CDKing
Why not make the F line closer to the BP scanner. Gate agent can barely see that F/elite is waiting to board. I always end up standing looking there like an idiot. Even worse there with the merge of the lines so far back.

be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
It would cost too much to print the sign the other way! 😂
Originally Posted by spamman808
Smf heard you!
Now there is no excuse!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AS
Reminded of our last flight.
Waiting in the Elite/First Class boarding area, front of the line.
They were in the process of boarding those with disabilities. A couple came up behind us and loudly exclaimed , "EXCUSE US! We are in First Class, move aside." I laughed and informed them they we are also in First and waiting for pre-boarding to finish. They avoided eye contact throughout the flight.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pcoll
I laughed
kudos to you, i'm not sure if i would have been able to suppress a ginormous ""
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
The problem is they messed up by not assigning letters to the preboarding group.

What happens is you get those pax who only fly once a year or less, who naturally think group A will be first, B will be second, etc. Thus they get all confused when boarding happens as they think their group D assignment means they are the fourth group to board. And truthfully, I don’t blame them.

It would have been much better to just make the preboards A-D, and the next four groups E-H and just simplify it. The people who fly regularly know the process anyway. Make it straight forward in labeling for those who fly rarely.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kavok
The problem is they messed up by not assigning letters to the preboarding group.

What happens is you get those pax who only fly once a year or less, who naturally think group A will be first, B will be second, etc. Thus they get all confused when boarding happens as they think their group D assignment means they are the fourth group to board. And truthfully, I don’t blame them.

It would have been much better to just make the preboards A-D, and the next four groups E-H and just simplify it. The people who fly regularly know the process anyway. Make it straight forward in labeling for those who fly rarely.
Agreed. AA used have groups one through four after preboarding; there's a reason why they have groups one through nine now.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I admit I liked the blog's phrasing of current pax waiting to board as "sometimes it’s just a shapeless blob." (Much nicer than FT's "gate lice," too.) Amoeba-like.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To all those who can't wait for the "new" boarding process, it is the exact same process they have now, just instead of calling for groups by names, they call for the exact same groups by a letter. There is no difference. The change is in the way the BP looks and that it will have that letter on it.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
The text of the announcement shows that initial announcements will start 30-35 minutes before departure which would be less than today’s 40 for mainline.
A nice improvement there. One thing I've liked about WN is even when having A16-30, haven't had to board until 20-25 mins before departure time.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Hopefully it reduces gate lice.

Originally Posted by pcoll
Reminded of our last flight.
Waiting in the Elite/First Class boarding area, front of the line.
They were in the process of boarding those with disabilities. A couple came up behind us and loudly exclaimed , "EXCUSE US! We are in First Class, move aside." I laughed and informed them they we are also in First and waiting for pre-boarding to finish. They avoided eye contact throughout the flight.
You literally have priority boarding yet you insisted on lining up? Did you see people there with 40 bags each or something. You wouldn't need to worry about interactions like this if you sat down and waited for your group to be called.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
Hopefully it reduces gate lice.

You literally have priority boarding yet you insisted on lining up? Did you see people there with 40 bags each or something. You wouldn't need to worry about interactions like this if you sat down and waited for your group to be called.
Seems a rather harsh response. I saw no worry in their statement and they were going to be the very next group to be called anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.