Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by brentyb
He was a real dick about it and I got the impression he was taking a little too much joy in watching people get pissed. He was also threatening people with being charged if they broke 'his' sizer, those cost $450 apparently.
I hope you got his name and left feedback with Alaska.

The new Alaska sure is...something.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find this whole conversation rather amusing. People complain that people bring on too big and too much carry ons. Want more enforcement of sizes and amounts. Now that it is happening it is the opposite complaint. They never got stopped before, they have always been able to bring on their bag. A wise person once said, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I only carry on a backpack so never have to deal with it either way.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
The things I have to take to do my job wouldn't fit in that. My point is I find it ridiculous that most that don't check a bag feel they have to insult those that do. It's not a cookie cutter world for all business people.
Indeed. In my former life I was on the road an average of four days a week, and had to carry simple tools including screwdrivers that would *NOT* be allowed in carryone Pay wasn't all that great, and I saw a lot of hotel rooms, but it was still a great job

I find this whole conversation rather amusing. People complain that people bring on too big and too much carry ons. Want more enforcement of sizes and amounts. Now that it is happening it is the opposite complaint. They never got stopped before, they have always been able to bring on their bag. A wise person once said, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I only carry on a backpack so never have to deal with it either way.
I see your point, but it seems to me that asking for enforcement of existing rules is WAY different from asking to change the rules and then enforce new rules @:-)

These days I'm carryon only guy, and it irks me when I see pax bring on carryons that have to go in sideways given how large the overhead bins are.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And like any big policy change, there will be major enforcement at the beginning then it will start to get less and less enforcement then things will be back they way they were before, not size wise, but enforcement wise.

And a little story about enforcement at SEA a few days ago. Getting on my flight from SEA to SJC there was a lady with a roll aboard. She pushed her way to the front of the boarding queue with a very big roll aboard, doubt it was even within the old size limits. She got told 3 times to put it in the sizer. She walked away, then pushed way to front again. I kept watching her as it was giving me some entertainment. I boarded when my group was called A little bit later she comes on and I see she still has her bag, she somehow snuck it past the GA and got it onboard. Now the funny part. It didn't fit in the overhead, not even sideways and she had to gate check it anyways. She was very mad saying it has always fit in every plane she has ever been on including the little ones (her words). Caused a big hassle as this was the middle of boarding and she had to fight her way upstream like a salmon to get back to the front of the plane. I saw the GA come aboard and she told the lady she had been told multiple times it would have to be gate checked and it wasn't cool that she somehow got past the GA with it and was now holding everyone up. Lady repeated the part about it always fit before. GA tagged the bag and told the lady to take her seat. I see the lady go past where she was trying to stuff the bag and went to almost the very back of the plane. I think I know how she snuck it on, the position the had the sizer left a space and it was right next to the boarding door. I bet she stashed it behind the sizer, did the BP thing with the GA then grabbed her bag as she went through the door and the GA would never see. I would be this was a 26" suitcase and it was expanded.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Alaska Airlines forum @brentyb.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Often1
If you can afford an air ticket, you can afford $0.59 for a tape measure and make sure your bag is compliant before you leave home.
Not so easy. Yesterday, I measured my main bag with a metal tape measure. The size, in general, is different from the maximum measurement of all the handles, straps, and wheels. Furthermore, many people have no idea whether the sizer is exact, whether it is a hard box or a few metal strips.

No, I never complained or even got annoyed with others' carryons being too big. As long as it is not a regular suitcase but a carryon size, an inch or two doesn't matter. I may be a little bit annoyed if people take too many. However, it's easy to say one carry on and one personal. Most people don't bring 3. Most people don't try the maximum, such as one carry on, one person item, one umbrella, one bag of food, several books for reading, CPAP machine, cane, and winter coat.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
No obvious enforcement on my two flights yesterday one QX and one mainline AS
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
First, it's a weight & balance issue. Carry-ons are included in the passenger's weight for W&B purposes, while checked bags are included separately. Everything is an average. It is a safety issue and there is zero-tolerance. Once it is in the system, the fact that the bag disappeared between the podium at the gate and the aircraft hold is potentially a big deal.
No it isn't. A rollaboard bag or two...or five...being in the overhead vice the cargo hold has no material impact on the W&B of a 737. This isn't a Cessna 152.
zs58 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 84fiero
No it isn't. A rollaboard bag or two...or five...being in the overhead vice the cargo hold has no material impact on the W&B of a 737. This isn't a Cessna 152.
for practical purposes, you're right. but to meet regulations and safety demands, checked bag count does matter.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
for practical purposes, you're right. but to meet regulations and safety demands, checked bag count does matter.
Yes, of course hold luggage and cargo weight is important, but if the bag in the scenario above doesn't end up making it into the hold, the bag is not part of the loaded baggage weight used for W&B calculation. It doesn't mean the bag must be found and must be loaded into the hold before plane can't take off or something (as the poster seemed to imply using W&B as a reason). Otherwise we'd never have lost bags that were checked in but failed to get loaded onto the plane. Following that, the fact that said bag ended up as a carry-on instead isn't a W&B issue - carry-on weights and locations, or lack of carry-on, are never known with precision in the first place. That was the point.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
PDX to Seattle this morning. GA said FAA inspector was on the ramp. Really thought my bag would fit the sized. Nope. Wasn’t paying too much attention to others so not sure how stringent they were being. Looks like I’ll be in the market for a new carryon. Anyone had experience with the Tumi V3 Continental carryon?

https://www.ebags.com/product/tumi/v...uctid=10583280
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by PDX4MSU
PDX to Seattle this morning. GA said FAA inspector was on the ramp. Really thought my bag would fit the sized. Nope. Wasn’t paying too much attention to others so not sure how stringent they were being. Looks like I’ll be in the market for a new carryon. Anyone had experience with the Tumi V3 Continental carryon?

As mvpg did you get charged a gate-check fee?

Can someone who has experienced this please clarify this - I'll be more annoyed if gate-check fee is charged specially from mvps.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
As mvpg did you get charged a gate-check fee?

Can someone who has experienced this please clarify this - I'll be more annoyed if gate-check fee is charged specially from mvps.
I was not charged a fee. I did hear another gate agent telling someone (pretty sure the pax wasn’t elite) that they should be charging a fee but that she was going to waive it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG

The product page states that the external dimensions are 22" x 15.75" x 9", larger than the posted 22" x 14" x 9"

If this bag fits though I'll feel much better about my 19" x 14.5" x 9" not being denied for being half an inch too wide.....
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GA said FAA inspector was on the ramp.
I bet
mbluecpa, jinglish and be_rettSEA like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.