Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
I was challenged in SEA for a horizon flight. GA wanted me to use sizer but I told him it fit. I now travel with a measuring tape. Ridiculous
I don't really understand this. Unless it was an E-175, why would they employ a sizer for the turbo props when even the "new" dimensions would never fit in the rat hole of an overhead bin they have. They all go on the ala carte unless you had some pliable backpack or duffel bag that could squeeze up there. How do you gate check a carry on? It all goes into the same hold as the ala carte. Of course, thinking about this now maybe it is in case you are connecting to another flight.

Last edited by JacksonFlyer; Jun 6, 2018 at 10:46 am Reason: additional thought
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Radio silence from @Alaskaair with my photo and tweet
Guessing someone realized they may have goofed on the dimensions of the bag sizers and they don't want to admit it publicly (or they're looking into it to see if they actually did).
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pbelmore
I've been in the market for a carry-on bag that has a garment insert, and they seem to be impossible to find under 22". I haven't been able to measure myself, but all of the highly recommended bags (Wirecutter, Consumer Reports, etc.) with a garment insert are 23-24" in length. These don't violate the spirit of the law (and in fact are all advertised as carry-on bags), but they will violate the letter of the law. It's unfortunate.
Am I missing something? The
Wirecutter top pick Wirecutter top pick
is 21x14x9" and has a "removable garment bag for wrinkle-free clothing".

Neil
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by missamo80
The Wirecutter top pick is 21x14x9"
That appears to be interior dimensions. TravelPro's own web site lists 23.75x14.75x9.5.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pbelmore
That appears to be interior dimensions. TravelPro's own web site lists 23.75x14.75x9.5.
I think this is the problem many are facing now. They did not realize that the bags they purchased had inaccurate dimensions.
Many carry-on bags list them selves as airline sizer approved and give dimension of just bag. Do not always give additional information that included wheels and handles.
wrp96 and pbelmore like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Horizon flights have same carry on sizer

Originally Posted by pcoll
I think this is the problem many are facing now. They did not realize that the bags they purchased had inaccurate dimensions.
Many carry-on bags list them selves as airline sizer approved and give dimension of just bag. Do not always give additional information that included wheels and handles.
You would think that these flights are exempt given the al a carte. Nope, same stupid sizer and rules
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I was challenged in SEA for a horizon flight. GA wanted me to use sizer but I told him it fit. I now travel with a measuring tape. Ridiculous
You would think that these flights are exempt given the al a carte. Nope, same stupid sizer and rules
as I reported on Monday ...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
You can buy a luggage scale that has a tape measure built in on Amazon and others from about $8 upward. I am so curious to get interior measurements of the sizer....not travelling in next few weeks though so if someone has a rigid or semi-rigid tape, please take a moment! Lots of us will be in debted to you.....I'll make you a lapel button that says I did the measurements....buy me a drink!
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Why is AS shrinking their carry on dimensions?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Why is AS shrinking their carry on dimensions?
the company line is "to better align with international partners"

since

"to make more money on bag fees" doesn't sound as customer centric
wrp96, pcoll, pbelmore and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Thought I'd double check...my roller from floor to top is 24" and it is 14" wide. Problem may be that it is 9.1 inches deep. It fits in every first/business overhead on many airlines (except the small regionals) in various parts of the world on its back with wheels in or to the aisle. On some it fits on its side with wheels to the aisle or not. I will probably be one of the "self-entitled "special" people" mentioned above if I'm told it has to be checked. I have two bags..one in the overhead and one under the seat in front. No hand bag, no neck pillow, nothing. Are they actually also checking that no one gets on with more than two, exactly two, items? The roller plus underseat plus shopping bag(s) ...all smaller than the new size but several of them. Then again, maybe I need to downsize the bag, get one of those vests with a million pockets and then put it in the overhead with my smaller carry on! Time for some shopping! In that case, thank you, Alaska!
I sure hope they don't give me a problem with my CPAP bag - it's a qualifying medical device. Can any other CPAP'ers comment on being questioned about their device bag?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kileysmom
You can buy a luggage scale that has a tape measure built in on Amazon and others from about $8 upward. I am so curious to get interior measurements of the sizer....not travelling in next few weeks though so if someone has a rigid or semi-rigid tape, please take a moment! Lots of us will be in debted to you.....I'll make you a lapel button that says I did the measurements....buy me a drink!
22” and 9” were accurate but...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dave1013

I sure hope they don't give me a problem with my CPAP bag - it's a qualifying medical device. Can any other CPAP'ers comment on being questioned about their device bag?
theyre not allowed to give you a hard time about a medical device as a third carryon item. If they do, tell the gate agent you’ll sue them under the ADA law. They also can’t make you check one of your other two items provided they’re both compliant.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:32 pm

Can someone explain more about this gate check fee?

I was on an AS flight last month (before the new size restrictions came into play), but an LAX GA was telling pax to gate check their bags for free because "once the overhead bins fill up, everyone will be charged $25." When my BP was scanned, I casually asked the GA about this "new policy," which clearly flustered her as she wasn't expecting pushback, and she gave me some nonsensical answer.

Overhead bins went out 90% empty, which I tweeted. I asked about this gate check bag fee because it wasn't on their website, and the Twitter team again gave some bizarre "it's based on the circumstances" response.

When I got home, I emailed AS customer service and they wrote that there is NO gate check fee and apologized and gave me some miles.

Now, a month later, folks are reporting gate check fees. I still don't see anything about that in the carry-on baggage policies.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Seems to me there should be a gate check fee for obviously not within limits stuff....like more than two bags (except medical of course) and some of these huge bags that have to be crammed into a bin and take up most of it. Not sure how that would/could be decided but how else are you going to stop the truly silly stuff - one woman on my last flight from SEA to ANC had 6, yes, 6 of the large Nordstrom shopping bags along with a usual sized roller, a pillow, a coat and a handbag. Why should someone else not get some overhead space?

Does anyone know the measurements for under seat space? If I end up having to re-jig everything, that could become important!

PS Just found this on the Travel and Leisure websiteAlaska Airlines

The airline does not release exact measurements for the space below seats, but to make sure your items fit, aim for less than 11” tall by 17” wide by 18-20” long. The maximum size for carry-on luggage is 24 inches (including wheels and handles) by 17 inches by 10 inches. The seat width is approximately 17 inches.So it's almost as big as the overhead bin size!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.