Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:31 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I plan on holding them to it. I actually started checking a bag more often just because of this. Haha
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I do like the idea they're at least charging for them at the gate. It really bothers me that people pay for bags at check-in, but then a good chunk of people skip right past check-in then end up checking the bag for free at the gate.

What also gets me though is the bag sizer, I know the dimensions of my bag will fit the limits for X airline, but I swear even with nothing in it the sizers sometimes won't allow it to fit.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pt flyer
There may yet be a silver lining to this cloud. Don't forget Alaska's 20 minute bag guarantee! Time from the moment your plane door opens to the moment your bag appears on the baggage claim machines. If it is greater than 20 minutes make a claim. You will receive either a credit or 2500 miles.

If you are forced to check, make sure they are doing their part with the 20 minute bag service.....
And then take your boarding pass and get in line with the 40 other people wanting the same voucher from CS. Last time I saw the line, I decided it was not worth it. Went home and tried to submit online. Told it would not be accepted as I was to do it at airport before leaving.
Damaged bag worked out better. Agent who could fill out report at baggage claim was at dinner. Someone gave me their cell phone number. I called the next day and she was very unhappy I had her cell phone number. Reminded me it was to have been done before I left airport. I explained that is how I ended up with her number. Finally got resolved after 8 weeks of phone calls.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Do you ever fly other airlines such as United?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx

"The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches"
Don't know about others, and while UA has a bag checker, I've never seen anyone at UA use it.

And I've seen some huge rollaboards come on board

Pretty sure some of those were larger than what would fall under AS' old policy, as they would not fit in UA's new large bins.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
And then take your boarding pass and get in line with the 40 other people wanting the same voucher from CS. Last time I saw the line, I decided it was not worth it. Went home and tried to submit online. Told it would not be accepted as I was to do it at airport before leaving.
Damaged bag worked out better. Agent who could fill out report at baggage claim was at dinner. Someone gave me their cell phone number. I called the next day and she was very unhappy I had her cell phone number. Reminded me it was to have been done before I left airport. I explained that is how I ended up with her number. Finally got resolved after 8 weeks of phone calls.
Skip the line and DM them on Twitter. It's worked every time for me so far.
Mehdron and missamo80 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
Did anyone try their 22x14x9 bag in different airlines' carry on sizer? My experience is the UA sizer at SEA is bigger than the AS sizer, and can take a 22x14x9 bag with an extra inch sticking out by the wheels. Did anybody else do this comparison with DL?
In my experience, it’s absolutely true that UA’s sizers have a little wiggle room - a fraction of an inch - which allows a carry on bag that’s reasonably close to the standard to pass. It will absolutely screen out the oversized or expanded bags. So, given that I own two carry ons that easily fit into the UA bins with no squeezing or pushing, I tried them this week in the the new Alaska sizers. Neither one fit. That tells me that AS built sizers that are too small, which is counter-productive. The key point for AS is that they want to be able to use the space bins installed on their planes, which makes complete sense. However, once again instead of being honest about their motive and the benefit to flyers, they’re making up nonsense about international connections — which generally limit carryons by weight anyway. It’s just downright frustrating to see them mess up something that every other domestic airline has figured out.

Bottom line this is a reasonable change to carry on policy that has been implemented poorly, and that’s sad to watch.

Last edited by BayAreaTrvler; Jun 4, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Don't know about others, and while UA has a bag checker, I've never seen anyone at UA use it.

And I've seen some huge rollaboards come on board

Pretty sure some of those were larger than what would fall under AS' old policy, as they would not fit in UA's new large bins.
They use them rarely, but they have (maybe still are) used AirServ contractors to review the size of bags of travelers at the entrance to security lines.

And yes, I have seen huge carry-on on various airlines that clearly wouldn’t fit. It’s been a while, but on one flight (prolly UA) a guy carried on a CRT TV, which clearly was never going to fit.

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I fortunately get to fly F (paid) for the vast majority of my AS and other flights. No one on any airline has even blinked at my carry on. What happened today for those who were in F? I'd really appreciate knowing for my next (soon) flight. I can say that I would be royally p....... if I had to check my probably slightly oversized roller only to look at empty bins.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Calculon
Skip the line and DM them on Twitter. It's worked every time for me so far.
Once again, Thank you Calculon. Good to know.
Calculon likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Geez...I must be the only one happy about this enforcement. Coming from NWA years ago where it was pretty regularly enforced out of Hawaii, it made plane loading so much more efficient. The new sizes really arent all that much smaller. Yes...I too will now need to downsize my pelican case a hair, but if it keeps the monstrosities out of the overhead bin and makes boarding faster once things settle down, Im game for it. I realize the airlines brought this upon themselves, but comsumers demanding lower prices did as well. Ultimately gotta pay to play. I'll see the humor on Thursday and see if its gotten better.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:10 am

My carry-on is a hair over 23"(including wheels and handle) x 14" x 9". That 9" is only on good days.
I take it onboard for basically every flight.
So far this year, I've flown on UA, DL, EVA, ANA, Jet Blue, AS. No one's batted an eye at the gate, it fits wheels first or out in every bin, and so many biz travelers go in with rollerboards that are clearly even bigger than mine.

If what I'm reading is true, AS will be the first airline to give me grief over this bag of mine. Anyways, I'm sure this is first-day blunder that will smooth out real fast.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by rune87
Geez...I must be the only one happy about this enforcement.
You might be right about that.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:23 am

So Alaska has over 1K departures per day but a few tweets are evidence of a crisis...my favorite is the tweet with the photo of the one open bin with [some] space while all the others around it are closed presumably because they are full. I also hear a lot of my "my bag fits just fine in the bin," but they leave out the part that it's at the expense of everyone else in that row having space for their own bag instead of desperately swimming upstream upon landing.

Behavior change is always difficult so I suspect that for the next month or so GAs will be using those measuring boxes quite a bit and even be a bit overzealous. Over time most people will have adjusted their behavior and they'll probably be really strict only on full flights, or when the GA is having a bad day . Again, these are the measurements that pretty much all airlines use and my guess is that as someone else mentioned this is also an attempt to catch those who avoid paying for checking their bag knowing that they can check it for free at the gate when GAs make the call. This will make it easier to charge those people.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Diamond, former UA Plat, former AA Plat
Couple of data points:

4 Jun FLL:SEA AS 35 - gate agents made no effort to size check bags during pre-board, military, first, or elite boarding. (my data point ends here because friend reporting is a 75K and boarded)

5 Jun SEA:ORD AS 20 - gate agents made zero effort to size check bags during pre-board, military, or first boarding.

Granted, FLL is an out station and SEA:ORD is last flight of the day so maybe these aren't representative.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by halamadrid
So Alaska has over 1K departures per day but a few tweets are evidence of a crisis...my favorite is the tweet with the photo of the one open bin with [some] space while all the others around it are closed presumably because they are full.
Expand the tweet and you'll see why it's so special. The twitter rep claims "weight and balance" as the issue for leading to extensive bag checking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.