Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Carry-On Size Policy - Reports and Effects (6/4/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Think Tank bags?
Yep. The Airport Navigator is my standard travel bag and I've never had problems on any airline, anywhere, with it, domestic or international. It looks small even though it's like an inch off in one direction from the size rules. The Airport International v2.0 is my other bag, and fits within the size rules, but I don't like using it since it's more of a "haul your gear bag" than a "shoot out of it" bag.

Neil
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm finally paying attention to this whole bag resizing thing. Blah. I checked and the rolling camera bag I've flown with for years, with $$$ gear in it, is 16x15.5x10" and will violate Alaska's new baggage size rules. If I go with my *bigger* rolling camera bag, it's 21x14x8" and will meet the carry on requirements. Siiiiiiiiiigh. My next trip will be fun.
Do you ever fly other airlines such as United?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx

"The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches"

Or perhaps Delta?

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../carry-on.html

"Baggage must meet carry on size limits (approximately 22" x 14" x 9)"

Or American?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp

"Carry-on requirements: Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches"

The point is, unless you only every flew AS, you would have likely come across this "new" size elsewhere.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Maybe I don't really get it... but since the size is now standard across major carriers, is it really true that pax have a larger carry-on that's just for AS?
What matters more is how vigorous the airline is at enforcement. Domestically, except for ULCCs, it sure seems like the airlines really don't care if you violate the sizes by a bit. As long as you can get it in the overhead bin you're good to go. Sounds like from random reports on Twitter today Alaska is taking a much harder line, at least for now.

Neil
Buster, TheDudeAbides and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The point is, unless you only every flew AS, you would have likely come across this "new" size elsewhere.
I've flown other airlines many times, including international airlines, and never had a problem with the slightly oversized bag (I think it's over by 1" in one direction, and well under in the other two). Per my comment above, what matters is how vigorous the airline is at enforcement.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I'm finally paying attention to this whole bag resizing thing. Blah. I checked and the rolling camera bag I've flown with for years, with $$$ gear in it, is 16x15.5x10" and will violate Alaska's new baggage size rules. If I go with my *bigger* rolling camera bag, it's 21x14x8" and will meet the carry on requirements. Siiiiiiiiiigh. My next trip will be fun.

Neil
You should be fine with explaining the contents AND the fact it's <45 linear inches.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Ah, if the "OR" is in there, then yes, I'm golden. I'll have a fun time explaining that at the gate if it comes up though I bet.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS
Ah, if the "OR" is in there, then yes, I'm golden. I'll have a fun time explaining that at the gate if it comes up though I bet.
It is the OR 45 inches that will trip up the GA. They are going with the sizer and it seems they are not willing to consider other dimensions.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Alaska twitter rep confirmed it's "OR" not "AND". I agree though, it will be a battle at the gate if they decide to try and use the sizer and refuse to acknowledge the 45" part.

On the flip side, I just realized my ebags TLS Mother Lode Mini is .5" over in one dimension and 45.5 linear inches. Good fun Shame on ebags for being .5" over everyone else's carry on size (and now Alaska's too).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Alaska twitter rep confirmed it's "OR" not "AND". I agree though, it will be a battle at the gate if they decide to try and use the sizer and refuse to acknowledge the 45" part.

On the flip side, I just realized my ebags TLS Mother Lode Mini is .5" over in one dimension and 45.5 linear inches. Good fun Shame on ebags for being .5" over everyone else's carry on size (and now Alaska's too).
I'm thinking about changing the wheels on my suitcase, full inch and a half of wheel and air.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
It is the OR 45 inches that will trip up the GA. They are going with the sizer and it seems they are not willing to consider other dimensions.
I guess I'll be armed with a polite demeanor and a screenshot of the online regs in my phone - that would hopefully sway the GA.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:08 pm

There may yet be a silver lining to this cloud. Don't forget Alaska's 20 minute bag guarantee! Time from the moment your plane door opens to the moment your bag appears on the baggage claim machines. If it is greater than 20 minutes make a claim. You will receive either a credit or 2500 miles.

If you are forced to check, make sure they are doing their part with the 20 minute bag service.....
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by pt flyer
There may yet be a silver lining to this cloud. Don't forget Alaska's 20 minute bag guarantee! Time from the moment your plane door opens to the moment your bag appears on the baggage claim machines. If it is greater than 20 minutes make a claim. You will receive either a credit or 2500 miles.

If you are forced to check, make sure they are doing their part with the 20 minute bag service.....
Would love to see the numbers on this, compared to say the last year and now going forward.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Did anyone try their 22x14x9 bag in different airlines' carry on sizer? My experience is the UA sizer at SEA is bigger than the AS sizer, and can take a 22x14x9 bag with an extra inch sticking out by the wheels. Did anybody else do this comparison with DL?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
while the rule may be 22x11x9 or 45 linear inches, good luck arguing for the latter with a gate agent who is stuffing every carryon into the sizer, as it sounds like was happening today. i guess all you can do in these situations is argue and complain, both directly to the GA and to AS on twitter, email, AS "listens", etc.

AS' newest version of "computer says no" is "sizer says no".
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
oh, carol...

84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.