Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS as Potential oneworld Connect Member?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
AS as Potential oneworld Connect Member?

It seems that AS is being discussed to join the oneworld connecting program (maybe that was the AS executive went to HK for ??)

If AS does join ,it means AA flight will earn status credit on AS again.. and AS will have to pay for partner lounge entry fee?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300657959.html
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
that would be great news
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pbd456
It seems that AS is being discussed...
By what reputable source is it being discussed? It's not mentioned in the article you link.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
By what reputable source is it being discussed? It's not mentioned in the article you link.

just a speculation.
one of the line says it is discussing with airline in america.

perhaps, it is discussing with other airlines in south america (subside of LAN). but it seems that Alaska is closer with many existing oneworld partner.
dont you think>
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It seems that AS is being discussed to join the oneworld connecting program (maybe that was the AS executive went to HK for ??)
just a speculation.
Then I guess it doesn’t “seem” so.

I think it’s unlikely given that AA and AS directly compete in a fair number of markets, and AS already has working relationships with most of those airlines. Why make a competitor stronger if you don’t have to?
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by felicidad76
that would be great news
Be careful what you wish for.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
A partner has to be sponsored by at least 3 full members of OneWorld. The other carriers of the alliance which don’t sponsor the Connect carrier only extend the benefit of priority boarding and checkin. There is no mileage accrual or redemption or anything else. So the additional benefits are extremely limited and the chances of AA sponsoring AS are slim to none.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget about what AS or OW wants to do. The chances of US antitrust authorities approving a second OW carrier after the US acquisition of AA are less than slim to nil.

There is no reputable source quoted, the reference is a minor one in any event and thus this is about as reliable as the guy who tells you he knows the winning lottery ticket numbers.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I think it’s unlikely given that AA and AS directly compete in a fair number of markets, and AS already has working relationships with most of those airlines. Why make a competitor stronger if you don’t have to?
In both of these ways, AS seems to be in a very similar position to FJ. They already partner with all of FJ’s sponsoring airlines, which include an airline where they compete in some markets. FJ with QF, AS with AA. Maybe the nature of that competition is different for the different carriers, with transpacific flying being less core to QF’s business than LAX to AA’s, but maybe not.

If this were to happen and were to return Mileage Plan earning to the full AA network, I would tend to think of it as a win, but of course “be careful what you wish for” is always good advice.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Ahem.

https://paxex.aero/2018/06/fiji-airw...onnect-member/

Imagine an AS sponsorship WITHOUT AA, where all you would get is priority checkin and boarding on AA.

(sad trombone sound)

It would be nice I guess to get BA/QF/CX lounge access overseas I guess, but really...

Originally Posted by Often1
Forget about what AS or OW wants to do. The chances of US antitrust authorities approving a second OW carrier after the US acquisition of AA are less than slim to nil.

There is no reputable source quoted, the reference is a minor one in any event and thus this is about as reliable as the guy who tells you he knows the winning lottery ticket numbers.
Antitrust approval is not required. Alliance membership doesn’t imply schedule and pricing coordination like a JV does.

It COULD happen, but because of how it’s structured it is not going to be a big deal if it does, and there’s no proof it is happening outside of speculation.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 3, 2018 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
just a speculation.

perhaps, it is discussing with other airlines in south america (subside of LAN). but it seems that Alaska is closer with many existing oneworld partner.
dont you think>
Perhaps. If a US carrier enters the mix I think it's a tossup between AS and B6, tbh.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Oneworld Welcomes Smaller Airlines to “Connect” - Alaska a possible candidate?

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/o...o-connect.html

Several OW members currently have earn and burn arrangements with AS, would make sense to enhance benefits for customers who use AS for US connections - particularly when AS offers nonstop service to/from a non-AA hub, requiring another connection. One consideration: how would Parker feel about such an arrangement, after recently ending its relationship with AS.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:27 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...g-partner.html
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:59 am

I speculated this in another thread, but I really think that all these rapid changes that Alaska is bringing about to make them "industry standard" in terms of carry-ons, free-changes, etc is so that their offering is more in line as a typical airline who can then be part of a larger group like OneWorld Connect.

At this point looking into the future, Alaska had basically 2 options to increase their growth and ward off the delta attack in seattle/united attack in sfo etc - either buy off JetBlue (or SunCountry etc), or to join a stronger group like oneworld.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
just a speculation.
Oneworld is in discussion with other carriers interested in participating in the program, from various parts of the world including the Americas, Asia-Pacific and Europe.
The Americas, not Murica.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.