Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS as Potential oneworld Connect Member?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pbd456
https://www.oneworld-connect.com/

It has a table of lounge access for FJ with the airline partner...

the lounge access is very restrictive. dont get your hope up even if and when AS joins oneworld connect.
I would imagine that if CX sponsored AS they’d add HKG J lounges to the existing lounge portfolio... but yeah. (Plays sad trombone)

Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
https://www.oneworld-connect.com/

It has a table of lounge access for FJ with the airline partner...

the lounge access is very restrictive. dont get your hope up even if and when AS joins oneworld connect.
Wow, those are restrictive!

FJ elite only have lounge access from the OW sponsor when flying their metal on a FJ code. No lounge access when flying on the sponsor's native code or flying one sponsor and accessing another sponsor's lounge (under the OW Connect elite status benefits, normal OW rules apply to OW status/cabin access of course).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Not sure.

But back during the DOJ review, we knew about the Delta-Alaska breakup because people would respond/answer, yet silence when discussing American.

So its more psychological to admit a "no" but stay quiet on a "yes".

My bets are full participation. Do we have any 737s in for paint?! that may be a dead giveaway.
Royal Air Maroc announced as the new full partner. No word on AS as either a Connect or full member so far.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I would imagine that if CX sponsored AS they’d add HKG J lounges to the existing lounge portfolio... but yeah. (Plays sad trombone)

maybe only if it is AS coded CX operated flight....
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

i don’t see anything about free bags in the OW connect details.

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Wow, those are restrictive!

FJ elite only have lounge access from the OW sponsor when flying their metal on a FJ code. No lounge access when flying on the sponsor's native code or flying one sponsor and accessing another sponsor's lounge (under the OW Connect elite status benefits, normal OW rules apply to OW status/cabin access of course).
I don't see any real benefits for AS MVPG besides a few extra lounge accesses with limits on code-share flights plus priority boarding. While OW elites gets priority check in and boarding on AS, not sure if AS will devalue the redemption chart just to make up for the losses.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What losses?

Just because we don't gain anything it doesn't mean that AS doesn't. No one is forcing them to join. They do it because it increases their revenue.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What losses?

Just because we don't gain anything it doesn't mean that AS doesn't. No one is forcing them to join. They do it because it increases their revenue.
Well.. with more elites using the priority services, AS status devalues. Also, with increase traffic, they might need to hire new staff. But to maximize their revenue, the easiest thing to do is to devalue some redemption rate. They can also increase fare price as demand gets higher from OW connect traffic, which also lowers AS award availability.

Like others mention before, be careful what you wish for. For me, I prefer AS to stay the way it is right now.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, to be clear, the current working theory is that AS will devalue the award chart to make up for their financial loses from giving priority boarding to partner elites?

This only increases revenue for AS. There are no losses. "Business is so good that I had to hire more staff" does not equate to losses.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, to be clear, the current working theory is that AS will devalue the award chart to make up for their financial loses from giving priority boarding to partner elites?

This only increases revenue for AS. There are no losses. "Business is so good that I had to hire more staff" does not equate to losses.
Somebody's working theory, anyway. I think it's bunk. Devaluation stands or falls on it's own merits. The change is mostly a no-op, except maybe some AA elites get priority boarding and checkin (oooh, BFD) to go with their zero miles* if they credit to AA in order to use those benefits .

*though I'm some FT weisenheimer who would run over their grandma for extra miles will ask "can I just show the shiny AA/other OW card and still credit to AS, because if I can get away with a scam that's against program rules, I wanna try"?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Somebody's working theory, anyway. I think it's bunk. Devaluation stands or falls on it's own merits. The change is mostly a no-op, except maybe some AA elites get priority boarding and checkin (oooh, BFD) to go with their zero miles* if they credit to AA in order to use those benefits .

*though I'm some FT weisenheimer who would run over their grandma for extra miles will ask "can I just show the shiny AA/other OW card and still credit to AS, because if I can get away with a scam that's against program rules, I wanna try"?
I agree that it's mostly a no-op for us. Maybe priority boarding will be a bit more crowded. And maybe you will occasionally get to use a lounge that you wouldn't otherwise be able to. Whatever.

For AS, I think being able to ticket on international partners (with domestic connections on its own metal) could increase revenue. And if they are crediting that international segment to Alaska's program, even better. That's the whole point of alliances, right?

I still think a devaluation will happen; I just don't think that it's at all related to this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I agree that it's mostly a no-op for us. Maybe priority boarding will be a bit more crowded. And maybe you will occasionally get to use a lounge that you wouldn't otherwise be able to. Whatever.

For AS, I think being able to ticket on international partners (with domestic connections on its own metal) could increase revenue. And if they are crediting that international segment to Alaska's program, even better. That's the whole point of alliances, right?

I still think a devaluation will happen; I just don't think that it's at all related to this.
able to ticket on AS has nothing to do with being in an alliance, right?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

A business decision can certainly lead to higher revenue and a loss. Or profit.

Revenue is the money you take in. Cost is what you spend. Providing additional benefits to travelers presumably costs something (or reduces revenue from bags, for example). We don’t know whether a decision to join OW in some form would cause a loss or profit (one would hope that AS would expect this decision to be beneficial, i.e. profitable). Or whether it would even cause significant additional revenue for AS. It’s all speculation.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

A business decision can certainly lead to higher revenue and a loss. Or profit.

Revenue is the money you take in. Cost is what you spend. Providing additional benefits to travelers presumably costs something (or reduces revenue from bags, for example). We don’t know whether a decision to join OW in some form would cause a loss or profit (one would hope that AS would expect this decision to be beneficial, i.e. profitable). Or whether it would even cause significant additional revenue for AS. It’s all speculation.
Thanks, I'm familiar with the distinction.

The cost of providing priority boarding to more people is $0. Extra revenue - $0 = profit.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'm familiar with the distinction.

The cost of providing priority boarding to more people is $0. Extra revenue - $0 = profit.
not everyone can have priority.
there will be people complaining about boarding so late (like AS credit card holder) and they may cut the card and fly other airlines.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not everyone can have priority.
there will be people complaining about boarding so late (like AS credit card holder) and they may cut the card and fly other airlines.
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Take a look as UA or AA in their hubs. The whole plane really CAN have priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.