Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS as Potential oneworld Connect Member?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by diver858
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/o...o-connect.html

Several OW members currently have earn and burn arrangements with AS, would make sense to enhance benefits for customers who use AS for US connections - particularly when AS offers nonstop service to/from a non-AA hub, requiring another connection. One consideration: how would Parker feel about such an arrangement, after recently ending its relationship with AS.
If AA isn't an AS sponsor (they wouldn't have to be, AS could be sponsored by BA/QF/CX/AY), all this would mean is priority checkin and boarding for AS elites on AA flights who are crediting to AS (which means... no miles domestically). No other benefits of OWS or OWE (no lounge access on AA with AS status). Whoop-de-doo as far as AA/AS partnering goes. AS already interlines with most of the universe, so it's already possible to connect on AA/AS without OW Connect.

Also, if AA says "nah, we'd rather not have a competitor in the US admitted to OW even as a OW Connect airline" I suspect BA/CX/QF/AY aren't going to try and overrule them.
BearX220 and DrAlex like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Also, if AA says "nah, we'd rather not have a competitor in the US admitted to OW even as a OW Connect airline" I suspect BA/CX/QF/AY aren't going to try and overrule them.
Pure conjecture on all of our parts at this point. BA/CX/QF/AY can't be happy about AA's rigid cornerstone strategy, putting connections from US flights to any non-AA hub at a disadvantage to *A or ST. Could they force Parker to either expand the network beyond hubs, or allow AS to play - at least as a "connect partner", in select cities.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If AA doesn't want something to change in oneworld, it's pretty safe to say that something won't change.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA/CX/QF/AY can't be happy about AA's rigid cornerstone strategy, putting connections from US flights to any non-AA hub at a disadvantage to *A or ST.
I don't really understand this complaint given that ALL the US3 have, in effect, a cornerstone strategy that emphasizes their various hubs. Can you point out to me the host of UA/DL domestic USA flights that originate from non-hubs and connect to non-hubs that *A/ST use for connecting (as opposed to just doing ""we serve some US cities *A hub-to-US and for the rest, we dump feed into UA/DL hubs")? As far as I can tell, the only major expansion by a US3 airline has been out of SEA, but that's a... wait for it... hub. DL is probably the MOST aggressive on this point, but it's not like they're going to start flying IAD-DEN or DFW-ORD any day now.

Could they force Parker to either expand the network beyond hubs, or allow AS to play - at least as a "connect partner", in select cities.
AS already IS a partner for CX/BA/JL/AY/QF, so the "select cities" are already covered. The biggest market that AS is strongest in/AA is weakest in has exactly ONE OW airline other than AA: BA. No JL/CX/QF/AY service. And OW airlines all have lounges in SEA, SFO, LAX (AS's three biggest markets they play in), plus JFK, all of which have non-trivial AA service, so I'm not exactly sure what OW Connect brings to the table other than very marginal benefits- now a BA flyer could go to the AS lounge AND the BA lounge in SEA. Um, OK...

And for that you expect the rest of OW to muscle up AA if they go "we'd rather be your sole OW partner in the USA and we're not too keen with you bleeding off passengers to someone who is NOT in antitrust-approved joint ventures with you"? I am skeptical. Remember, AA and BA are business partners, not just alliance partners. Generally you don't do things that drive a wedge between you and your business partner if they say "not cool", unless there's a lot of money in it. So where's the money in trading a good relationship with one of the US3 with a closer relationship with an airline 1/4 the size, that doesn't really serve a lot of very important markets as well as AA does?

Further, FJ is qualitatively different from AS; AA doesn't fly to Fiji. They sure fly to SFO/LAX/JFK/ORD/DFW though.

Originally Posted by dayone
If AA doesn't want something to change in oneworld, it's pretty safe to say that something won't change.
Yeah, that's basically where I am at. An AS membership where AA was handing out Flagship Lounge access to AS elites in Y on $400 LAX-HKG tickets (or AS miles on DFW-JFK) is a pretty bizarre 180 when AA could have just renewed the existing partnership (I seriously doubt AS would have said "no"). I could see AA being indifferent to other airlines sponsoring for OW connect status, maybe, since all it is for an AA/AS relationship if they don't sponsor is "you can board early and checkin in in the DYKWIA line at the airport. Otherwise no miles or bennies for you". But I don't think anyone is going to muscle AA in their own alliance. I doubt AA would sponsor AS, and if AA says "we're not cool with this", the rest of OW has to take it seriously.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 8, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended

I don't see this as being an option. There's not much in it for a lot of the partners and there doesn't seem to be any of the major partnerships with more than one partner included.

The acquisition of Virgin was probably seen by the industry as an overture from Alaska towards becoming a major carrier. None of the big 3 want to be competing domestically with someone who is in their partner network.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Perhaps. If a US carrier enters the mix I think it's a tossup between AS and B6, tbh.
No possibility of Hawaiian?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Bumping this older thread because of new info.

Looks like the potential of AS joining OneWorld as a Connect member has surfaced again.

From Skift and OMAAT:
https://skift.com/2018/11/27/alaska-...orld-alliance/
https://onemileatatime.com/new-oneworld-member/

Originally Posted by Andrew Harrison, CCO Alaska Airlines
There’s a Oneworld Connect membership that we’re looking it. The whole goal here is to ensure that when people in the cities we serve travel internationally they are on our partners so they stay in our program.

The benefit to Alaska Airlines with these global partners is when people start to think Alaska, they are starting to think global. They are starting to make their plans around flying on our global partners. We are looking at ways to get more seamless.

This would be an exciting development for me as the strongest pull to join switch to DL at this point is the lounge access and other priority treatment on TPAC flights which accounts for ~50% of my annual travel.

Last edited by PABE; Nov 27, 2018 at 4:37 pm Reason: bump for new info
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
the US wouldnt have a say in Alaska joining OW. They would only get involved when it comes to codeshare and anti trust immunity requests.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
As nice as it would be to have AA back as a full partner, the quoted passage reads more like they're looking at using OneWorld Connect to get closer to some or all of their non-AA OW partners.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I would be thrilled with just getting elite earning and preferred seating back on AA.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Am I reading this correctly? The only reciprocal benefits are between the OW connect partner & sponsor OW airlines. Non-sponsor OW airlines OWE/OWS/OWR get check-in & boarding on the Connect partner but isn't reciprocal.

Aside from that, who would be the sponsors- AS has lounge agreements with QF & BA. Maybe JL, except they're tying up with HA.

In addition to possibly joining the alliance as a ‘Connect’ member, Alaska soon plans to sell tickets for some of its global partner airline on its website, so a customer in Los Angeles might buy a Qantas fare on alaskaair.com. This should help customers better understand the two airlines have a close relationship, Harrison said.
Interesting change. Also says "some", so maybe not just QF? From personal self interest, I'd like to see AS work with their partners to allow better routings through the AS network to partner gateways on paid tickets. And reasonable fare classes on the AS portion.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
I would be thrilled with just getting elite earning and preferred seating back on AA.
On a “Connect” airline, passengers with Oneworld elite status may not receive all the perks they’re accustomed to, but they may receive some special treatment.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Aside from that, who would be the sponsors- AS has lounge agreements with QF & BA. Maybe JL, except they're tying up with HA.
JL as a sponsor would make a lot of sense. There's not much overlap between what HA is doing with JL and what AS does or could do with JL, and HA and AS are presumably both a lot more worried about Southwest than each other.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
JL as a sponsor would make a lot of sense. There's not much overlap between what HA is doing with JL and what AS does or could do with JL, and HA and AS are presumably both a lot more worried about Southwest than each other.
At the end of the day, oneworld is AA + BA + everyone else.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WrightHI
As nice as it would be to have AA back as a full partner, the quoted passage reads more like they're looking at using OneWorld Connect to get closer to some or all of their non-AA OW partners.
Exactly. AA says “we aren’t your sponsor”, you get no earn, no lounge benefits, no luggage allowance. Whoop-de-do. It would basically formalize the relationships with CX/QF/BA/JL/AY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.