Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS F service dropping to new lows

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm not playing that lottery for a "high likelihood of an upgrade" when I am prepared to buy a reasonably-priced premium fare, and someone else has one available when I want to travel.

Back to the premise of the OP, AS has actually had worse service and morale - comparatively a lot worse, 20-some years ago, when the show was run by this guy
I flew AS in F semi-regularly in the 1996-7 time frame. I remember upgrades and First Class awards being very easy to get. That being said, the service and food was nothing to write home about, and flight delays were relatively common. Dinner flights in F were pretty good, but everything else wasn't very impressive. F and Y service was way better prior to about 1994. Under Vecci, service levels were cut back dramatically and employees were unhappy (including "CHAOS" actions by the flight attendants). After John Kelly took the helm, employee morale definitely seemed better, and the F flights I took in the 1998-2001 time frame generally seemed a bit better in terms of service and food.
Eastbay1K likes this.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jun 14, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
I thought a premise of this community was to empower an informed and better educated consumer. If you'd prefer to focus on limited marketing information posted on a website, that's cool. I thought it would be value added if current/potential purchasers of Alaska F understand that the product will be constrained by AS' a) goal of having maintaining a lower cost structure, b) stated focus on a specific market segment, and c) willingness to make the F cabin more accessible by having a consistent and generous upgrade policy across the entire network and selling fewer seats.
The reason AS's messaging is not consistent with that is because it's not what they're doing. The "leisure enthusiasts" comment focused on customers who want a premium experience. Again, that's what they're doing in F -- providing a premium experience.

You are free to have higher expectations for Alaska F based on a comparison of the AS and UA website. Based on your post pattern, it appears Alaska has failed to meet your expectations on more than one occasion.
As has UA. As has AA. As has DL. As has my local Safeway. Every company is going to fail eventually if you regularly do business with them. Expecting perfection every time is an unreasonable expectation. Suggesting someone leave when every little detail is not perfect is also an unreasonable expectation. It's also unproductive -- they should be called out on their weaknesses so they can improve. AS has done that.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
You make a good point and raise an interesting question: is there a correlation between pricing and product quality?

In many other industries, there is (or at least a correlation between pricing and perceived quality). I think the correlation is weaker or non-existent for domestic US air travel when purchase decisions are primarily driven by convenience and availability and pricing transparency drives nearly-instant competitive matching. I would agree there can be a disconnect for passengers, primarily on premium transcon markets where Alaska is selling F for the same or higher prices as lie-flat C/J on other carriers. I would point out this plays into Alaska's strategy of enabling more access with complimentary upgrades. If AS set F lower, it would likely sell out the cabin, eliminating the possibility of upgrades. At the same time, if AS is setting F prices at a level that is noncompetitive due to a weak value proposition, it won't sell any F seats. Ultimately, the market will determine if F pricing is right.

Ultimately, I still think customers need to understand Alaska's strategy when setting their expectations on the quality of the F product. If you need PDBs or pillows or amenity kits or in-seat IFE or Mint-style tapas, you will be disappointed on Alaska. You will also need to be willing to purchase F to get these benefits on other carriers.
Good points. But I would imagine AS' intention is to sell most F seats instead of giving them away as free upgrades. So shouldn't they set their F prices at levels that can sell? The market supply and demand should determine those levels in different markets, and in an full and open competitive market, an inferior product should command a lower price if the vendor (in this case AS) want to sell the product and make money.

but if they want to give most of those seats away as free upgrades, FFs including me will have no objections on that ��

Last edited by BW Flyer; Jun 14, 2018 at 6:26 pm Reason: corrected a typo
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
Good points. But I would imagine AS' intention is to sell most F seats instead of giving them away as free upgrades. So shouldn't they set their F prices at levels that can sell? The market supply and demand should determine those levels in different markets, and in an full and open competitive market, an inferior product should command a lower price if the vendor (in this case AS) want to sell the product and make money.

but if they want to give most of those seats away as free upgrades, FFs including me will have no objections on that ��
Theoretically, that's what's supposed to happen in the "leisure traveler" market. I would guess AS revenue management doesn't have great data on what a nonstop "not premium" F is in California-NYC's market clearing price is, given that EVERYONE flies premium products (AFS/United premium/Mint/Delta One or whatever they call it these days). Also, AS is still flying pmVX planes on those routes with a premium config. If they start selling cheaptastic F in nice white leather seats/8 F cabins and then switch them to worse seats/16 F cabins... this is a problem (customers think they got downgraded). I think their eventual intent is to switch the non-A321s OFF of transcon (which is starting to happen on the 2018 fall/winter 2019 schedule), and put denser B738/739s into those markets.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm not playing that lottery for a "high likelihood of an upgrade" when I am prepared to buy a reasonably-priced premium fare, and someone else has one available when I want to travel.
That's your prerogative, and you fly different routes than I do, but I think I've missed one upgrade in four years on an instant upgrade fare (ORD-SEA with a companion, and with a confirmed-at-booking upgrade for the SEA-HNL segment that followed). Between the instant-upgrade fares and the GGUs, I find it pretty easy to sit in front most of the time for significantly less money than buying it outright, particularly with two or three companion pass trips a year. YMMV, of course.

I'm also perfectly satisfied with AS's first class product and don't put a whole lot of value on lie-flat seating on daytime flights, so I may be missing the point of this thread completely.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by BW Flyer

Alaska doesn’t have a public goal of selling most F seats, like Delta an aspirations of 90% sales. I think AS will sell F where it can, like transcons and Hawaii, while still enabling upgrades.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:25 pm

Alaska doesn’t have a public goal of selling most F seats, like Delta an aspirations of 90% sales. I think AS will sell F where it can, like transcons and Hawaii, while still enabling upgrades.
That's ridiculous. Read the transcripts from the earnings calls.
Eastbay1K and pcoll like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
if this is the case, we could count this as an unique benefits for MP elite flyers.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I just flew Juneau - Seattle - Edmonton up front and everything was fine. Drinks constantly refilled. Breakfast was different (eggs with potatoes), but everything was done with a smile and the FA on JNU/SIT/SEA had drinks to row 1 at the same time the FA walked back with the plastic cups and water bottle.

Gogo worked (sssoo happy to see the Disney Film Festival Pixar shorts on Vision!), seats were comfy, and we only had to land once. And walked away.

Praise jesus.

I can live without lie flat seats - give me great legroom, a happy crew, and at least decent service.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I just flew Juneau - Seattle - Edmonton up front and everything was fine. Drinks constantly refilled. Breakfast was different (eggs with potatoes), but everything was done with a smile and the FA on JNU/SIT/SEA had drinks to row 1 at the same time the FA walked back with the plastic cups and water bottle.

Gogo worked (sssoo happy to see the Disney Film Festival Pixar shorts on Vision!), seats were comfy, and we only had to land once. And walked away.

Praise jesus.

I can live without lie flat seats - give me great legroom, a happy crew, and at least decent service.
Add the blankets on the redeyes and I am usually fine, but the catering still is pitiful in most cases. I have come to expect awful as the option for food
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
That's ridiculous. Read the transcripts from the earnings calls.
4Q17: "[Airbus reconfiguration] will drive both incremental revenues and the ability for our Elites to obtain better access to upgrades."

Maintaining "better access to upgrades" has been a consistent theme pre- and post-merger.

In contrast, DAL has given analysts specific and increasing targets for F sales/buy-ups, effectively saying domestic upgrades will be limited to Comfort+.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Small data point, recent trips have been SEA-ORD-SEA in FC both ways, SEA-SJC-SEA in PE out FC back, SEA-LAS-SEA PE out FC back, SEA-SAN-SEA FC both ways. The service was notably good in each of those trips and on the last one I even got champagne as a PDB once the FA heard it was my birthday FAs were interacting with passengers that wanted to chat, kept refills and sevice going (the PE flights just had the normal serves but gladly gave out doubles to those that asked). Good legroom and friendly staff, I really appreciate that. On one flight the captain came out to chat a bit, BUT - he did not limit it to FC, he walked to the back of the plane and interacted with customers all the way to the very end. I have never seen that before!
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by ctporter; Jun 15, 2018 at 3:38 pm Reason: added info
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:12 pm

4Q17: "[Airbus reconfiguration] will drive both incremental revenues and the ability for our Elites to obtain better access to upgrades."

Maintaining "better access to upgrades" has been a consistent theme pre- and post-merger.

In contrast, DAL has given analysts specific and increasing targets for F sales/buy-ups, effectively saying domestic upgrades will be limited to Comfort+.
If they had the ability to sell every single seat in first, they'd be happy to say "tough luck, upgrade wannabes". My reference to earnings calls was to point out they have articulated a target for F sales.
channa likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
The inflight service is still reasonably good, but the new meal “options” on west-coast flights are straight up garbage. Considering that Delta serves up hot meals featuring local Seattle resteraunts, the choice of protein plate vs. “Za’atar” chicken salad on every flight is downright pathetic.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hgdf
The inflight service is still reasonably good, but the new meal “options” on west-coast flights are straight up garbage. Considering that Delta serves up hot meals featuring local Seattle resteraunts, the choice of protein plate vs. “Za’atar” chicken salad on every flight is downright pathetic.
Its not getting any better. Next three months menus are unveiled:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/food-and-...n-first-class/

Quintious nailed it in the First Class meal thread- too much divisive ingredients. Rhubarb-thyme compote on French toast? Really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.