AS F service dropping to new lows

Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
In F the other day, some F pax were visibly annoyed at the new service flow with Y cabin getting water before F gets any drinks. The Y FA was making trays of water cups from the F galley, so he kept going back and forth through the F cabin to serve Y. A different couple pax (sorry, "guests") stopped him and asked for a beverage, and he had to explain the ridiculous service flow about how Y gets water and you'll get a drink eventually. I enjoyed watching him getting stopped since this is probably the dumbest service flow I've ever seen, and the backwards nature of Y getting served before F is so typical AS.
pcoll and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by channa
In F the other day, some F pax were visibly annoyed at the new service flow with Y cabin getting water before F gets any drinks. The Y FA was making trays of water cups from the F galley, so he kept going back and forth through the F cabin to serve Y. A different couple pax (sorry, "guests") stopped him and asked for a beverage, and he had to explain the ridiculous service flow about how Y gets water and you'll get a drink eventually. I enjoyed watching him getting stopped since this is probably the dumbest service flow I've ever seen, and the backwards nature of Y getting served before F is so typical AS.
I was on the verge of getting annoyed last week in row 4 (e175) watching row 6 get served their drinks quite a bit earlier than me. Might have only been 5 min but it felt like a while.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K
well, technically, F passengers guests still get served a drink first if you count the little bottle of water given to you as a PDB
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
well, technically, F passengers guests still get served a drink first if you count the little bottle of water given to you as a PDB
I am currently enjoying a PDB (a real one) on a former VX plane as I write this.
channa, jjmadison and pcoll like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:26 pm

To me, this is splitting hairs. The Y FA was making more work than necessary because they are just supposed to take a bottle into the cabin with a stack of cups and pour that way - but really, does it matter they got a cup of room temp water before you got your mixed drink? Should the entire airplane just wait until First Class is served before starting service in the main cabin? Consider this - people in row 34 will likely get their first real beverage after you've already had your meal and a couple of beverages (if the F FA is on top of things). The water service is meant to ensure that nobody waits 45 minutes before getting anything at all to drink. Apparently, Air New Zealand begins their service in the main cabin on international flights the same way - and presumably, if that's the case, I would imagine that people in their F class (a much more expensive F class at that) also wait for their first cocktail beyond some people in coach getting water . Why is it so irritating that someone in row 6 got a plastic cup of tepid water before you got your first cocktail. It literally takes 1 minute to get up out of my seat and make my way to the front of the cabin to give them a cup of water once the chimes ring 10,000 feet. At that time, conditions permitting, the F FA should begin getting their galley ready to provide service to the F cabin and it should take 10-15 minutes or so to make and get a round of drinks out to the entire F cabin. I suppose a solution may be to start at row 1 to begin offering the tepid plastic cup of water but is that what First Class really wants? I'm at a loss to understand this complaint. There are so many legit complaints on this site that deserve attention but "Coach should wait to be served until I'm served in F" is a little elitist to me. A legit complaint where this is concerned is if the F FA sits for 10-15 minutes before getting up to begin the service. THAT is a legit complaint. Another solution might also be to start with a pre-departure beverage service that encompasses more than water. I'd be up for that.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
To me, this is splitting hairs. The Y FA was making more work than necessary because they are just supposed to take a bottle into the cabin with a stack of cups and pour that way - but really, does it matter they got a cup of room temp water before you got your mixed drink? Should the entire airplane just wait until First Class is served before starting service in the main cabin? Consider this - people in row 34 will likely get their first real beverage after you've already had your meal and a couple of beverages (if the F FA is on top of things). The water service is meant to ensure that nobody waits 45 minutes before getting anything at all to drink. Apparently, Air New Zealand begins their service in the main cabin on international flights the same way - and presumably, if that's the case, I would imagine that people in their F class (a much more expensive F class at that) also wait for their first cocktail beyond some people in coach getting water . Why is it so irritating that someone in row 6 got a plastic cup of tepid water before you got your first cocktail. It literally takes 1 minute to get up out of my seat and make my way to the front of the cabin to give them a cup of water once the chimes ring 10,000 feet. At that time, conditions permitting, the F FA should begin getting their galley ready to provide service to the F cabin and it should take 10-15 minutes or so to make and get a round of drinks out to the entire F cabin. I suppose a solution may be to start at row 1 to begin offering the tepid plastic cup of water but is that what First Class really wants? I'm at a loss to understand this complaint. There are so many legit complaints on this site that deserve attention but "Coach should wait to be served until I'm served in F" is a little elitist to me. A legit complaint where this is concerned is if the F FA sits for 10-15 minutes before getting up to begin the service. THAT is a legit complaint. Another solution might also be to start with a pre-departure beverage service that encompasses more than water. I'd be up for that.
I don't get bent out of shape by Y folks getting water before F but I had to chuckle at your post. There's nothing more elitist than marketing a product as First Class and happily taking my money on that pretext. If you're going to talk it and charge for it, then walk it.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jeweled golf club

just press the button! Its way to intrusive to have the crew waking up!
Not quite waking, but they do have a fondness for Soduku and People magazine.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BOB W
Not quite waking, but they do have a fondness for Soduku and People magazine.
Maybe my wife should apply for a FA job. She's a Sudoku pro!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Speaking of wife and people magazines, seriously I do notice the AS F class services have been uneven or hit and miss starting about year and a half ago. To the point even my wife noticed it, and she flies a lot less than I am. If I remember right, she and I were in F flying SEA--HNL on an evening flight (7 pm departure) last December Throughout the entire 6 hour flights, the FA only came around twice taking drink orders. I had to walk up to the galley and asked for a glass of water for my wife. I think I did see one FA reading a magazine (probably a People's magazine!!) when I walked up there.

But 2 months ago when I flew ORD--SEA, the service by the F class FA was excellent, like what AS was famous for. He worked up and down the short aisle almost nonstop. I was kicking myself for not writing down his name and sending a note to AS about his service, since this is becoming less and less common these days.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am currently enjoying a PDB (a real one) on a former VX plane as I write this.
I got a PDB on an early morning PDX-LAX flight the 29th on a Boeing-- options were limited to coffee and OJ only, but it was better than just a little bottle of water.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, this is splitting hairs. The Y FA was making more work than necessary because they are just supposed to take a bottle into the cabin with a stack of cups and pour that way - but really, does it matter they got a cup of room temp water before you got your mixed drink? Should the entire airplane just wait until First Class is served before starting service in the main cabin?
Perhaps you'd have a point if AS followed industry standard and offered a pre-departure drink. But they don't. Compared to their competitors, you're already at a deteriorated service level on AS by the time you're getting into the air. Then to see Y get a beverage before F, I can understand the complaint. I just laugh at it, because it's just typical AS. Add to that there's usually a Y pax in the F lav by that point, and it just completes the AS experience with complete disregard for the F experience.

Consider this - people in row 34 will likely get their first real beverage after you've already had your meal and a couple of beverages (if the F FA is on top of things).
Do you work long-haul (transcon/Hawaii) AS F? 9 times out of 10, the Y FA's are more than done before that.

The water service is meant to ensure that nobody waits 45 minutes before getting anything at all to drink.
I like the idea. However, in the context of no PDB, it seems backwards.

Apparently, Air New Zealand begins their service in the main cabin on international flights the same way - and presumably, if that's the case, I would imagine that people in their F class (a much more expensive F class at that) also wait for their first cocktail beyond some people in coach getting water .
What routes does AS compete with NZ on?

I suppose a solution may be to start at row 1 to begin offering the tepid plastic cup of water but is that what First Class really wants?
The solution is a proper pre-depart. But this would be another option.

I'm at a loss to understand this complaint. There are so many legit complaints on this site that deserve attention but "Coach should wait to be served until I'm served in F" is a little elitist to me. A legit complaint where this is concerned is if the F FA sits for 10-15 minutes before getting up to begin the service. THAT is a legit complaint.
This is what is being marketed to customers: "With a flight attendant dedicated to guests in our First Class cabin, you'll never be far from a helping hand to hang your coat, answers to questions about your flight, a refreshing beverage, or even a chat about where you're going. Our award-winning service is focused on anticipating your needs and ensuring your trip is the very best it can be."

Sounds like the service is focused on Y's needs first.

Another solution might also be to start with a pre-departure beverage service that encompasses more than water. I'd be up for that.
Exactly. Then it would be a non-issue.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:21 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is what is being marketed to customers: "With a flight attendant dedicated to guests in our First Class cabin, you'll never be far from a helping hand to hang your coat, answers to questions about your flight, a refreshing beverage, or even a chat about where you're going. Our award-winning service is focused on anticipating your needs and ensuring your trip is the very best it can be.
This is amazing... couldn't be further from the truth!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I was on the verge of getting annoyed last week in row 4 (e175) watching row 6 get served their drinks quite a bit earlier than me. Might have only been 5 min but it felt like a while.
And today row 4 got beverages and food before row 6 got beverages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
And today row 4 got beverages and food before row 6 got beverages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SkyWest? Typically better service than AS mainline. Sometimes even get a predepart.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:33 am

SkyWest? Typically better service than AS mainline. Sometimes even get a predepart.
Horizon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.