Alaska Lounges (2020 and Earlier)

Old May 29, 2018, 2:54 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YYF/YLW
Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Posts: 5,941
Are lounges which serve members paying $295/year, customers holding credit cards with net annual fees of $150, and domestic F passengers typically paying a hundred to a few hundred more per ticket less fancy than lounges serving long haul business class customers paying many hundreds to a few thousand dollars more per ticket as well as members paying $450-$700 annual fees or holders of airline-specific credit cards with $495 annual fees without $300 rebates that essentially amount to cash available to any cardholder? Yes (though by a remarkably small amount, IMO).

It is more appropriate to compare ASs lounges to those offered by airlines like WN, B6, WS (though they do offer a limited long haul network), or pmVX (airlines with more comparable route networks) than to those with long haul flights to subsidize the lounge networks, even if AS also competes domestically with the big three. Put in that light, how do the Alaska Lounges seem?
ashill is online now  
Old May 29, 2018, 3:34 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Posts: 20,270
Originally Posted by Akck
All I’ll say is that the lounges beat waiting in the gate area no matter what the condition of the lounges are in.
SFO T2 is actually pretty darned nice for a terminal. I have no problem going over to Cat Cora's Kitchen or Lark Creek Grill. MUCH preferable to Snack Towers of Sadness.

Most of the time I vastly prefer not waiting in a lounge or at the gate.

Originally Posted by ashill
Are lounges which serve members paying $295/year, customers holding credit cards with net annual fees of $150, and domestic F passengers typically paying a hundred to a few hundred more per ticket less fancy than lounges serving long haul business class customers paying many hundreds to a few thousand dollars more per ticket as well as members paying $450-$700 annual fees or holders of airline-specific credit cards with $495 annual fees without $300 rebates that essentially amount to cash available to any cardholder? Yes (though by a remarkably small amount, IMO).

It is more appropriate to compare AS’s lounges to those offered by airlines like WN, B6, WS (though they do offer a limited long haul network), or pmVX (airlines with more comparable route networks) than to those with long haul flights to subsidize the lounge networks, even if AS also competes domestically with the big three. Put in that light, how do the Alaska Lounges seem?


VX had to use a pre-TSA lounge in a different terminal in their primary hub, though since it was an international longhaul lounge it was incredibly nice if you could overloook the relative inconvenience (the VS Clubhouse SFO- it also had operating hours that didn't work for all VX flights). The lounge they used at LAX had some cross-subsidization from VA (LAX Club) and was pretty good for a while, though it went downhill as VX aged and went into the AS acquisition. Never used the one in JFK, and everywhere else... no lounge.

And comparing WN and B6... I see what you did there.
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 10:52 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Emerald Club Excutive
Posts: 83
Being Alaska Boardroom lounge member, with access to AA's clubs, and a few United Rooms, I am quite happy with AS. They run nice, quiet and quite comfortable clubs. Not sure what "Crap Food" means (must be a Trump fan with that such descriptive language), but provide a limited assortment of tasty food options. They opened up a few new clubs at SEA, including a state-of-the-art one at the end of the C gates and we are excited about the new one coming to the expanded N Gates.

Maybe @Gartthlewis it's best you go elsewhere.
Don Draper is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 11:17 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,634
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
The one spot lacking in the AS lounges (perhaps only as it relates to the PDX lounge and the LAX lounge) is that the furniture and furniture accouterments are dated. The PDX lounge needs some new furniture (badly worn leather chairs). But, the new Seattle lounge is great (and though I haven't been to JFK, it looks really nice too). I've been to ANC, and I absolutely loved the fireplace and the view of the runway.
In addition to old furniture, the PDX lounge is also tiny and there is only one of them. And in an airport that generally has great runway views, it faces away from the runway towards gates in the alley. Old furniture is not the only problem with PDX.
ucdtim17 is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 2:47 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Posts: 3,844
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

And comparing WN and B6... I see what you did there.
well, WS doesn't have any lounges, and pmVX only had 1 true lounge (LAX), which was the old Alaska-TWA-Eastern lounge. the bathrooms even looked like they did when it was an Ionosphere Club :P
UAPremierExec is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 3:16 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: AS 75K, DL Diamond, former UA Plat, former AA Plat
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
well, WS doesn't have any lounges, and pmVX only had 1 true lounge (LAX), which was the old Alaska-TWA-Eastern lounge. the bathrooms even looked like they did when it was an Ionosphere Club :P
Speaking of old lounges, what is the former AS lounge at SFO doing these days?
beltphed is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 3:34 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 280
The Skyclub at SEA is insanely nice. I'd take it over the hot mess Centurion any day of the week, especially with the new access restrictions at SEA that make it effectively useless.

I'd say the nicest lounge in the system is by far the JFK lounge, which is apparently the model for all new Alaska Lounges going forward. They had some really nice cocktails, the barista station is legit (and better coffee than anywhere else in the building) and the atmosphere is great with nice views and lots of natural light. Hell I'd say in terms of atmosphere it's nicer than the Concorde Room. Even the bathrooms are well done with fancy toiletries instead of the "picked this up at Walgreens" I see at PDX and SEA.

The only downside is the free food seems to be slim pickings and maybe even slightly less than the other lounges, but not sure if it was opening day anomalies or not. They do have premium options for purchase at a reasonable price, which considering the state of the rest of the terminal (terrible) is fine.
bkojote is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 3:36 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 90
Comparing AS lounges to DL, AA, and UA system-wide is pointless. I would assume that lounge's impact on tickets sales are generally location specific. However, in Seattle, Delta's lounge beats the crud out of Alaska's. Enough so that this AS Gold, AS Lounge Member, and frequent Sea-Tac patron has strongly considered switching carriers. I assume I'm not alone, which is a real problem for AS.

They should be operating like Delta. Increase the join fee, throw out Priority Pass, and make the lounge something I actually want to spend money on. It should be something that aides in joining AS and their customers at the hip, not something that makes their customers question whether they should be with Alaska at all. Making the D-gate lounge not filthy would be at least a start.

Why lounges don't have food for purchase options is another pet peeve of mine. Airport restaurants are generally garbage. Offer a legitimate dining option and the membership fee is automatically worth it to me.
formerstarQB16 is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 3:39 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by Don Draper
Being Alaska Boardroom lounge member, with access to AA's clubs, and a few United Rooms, I am quite happy with AS. They run nice, quiet and quite comfortable clubs. Not sure what "Crap Food" means (must be a Trump fan with that such descriptive language), but provide a limited assortment of tasty food options. They opened up a few new clubs at SEA, including a state-of-the-art one at the end of the C gates and we are excited about the new one coming to the expanded N Gates.

Maybe @Gartthlewis it's best you go elsewhere.
Your definition of "state-of-the-art" and mine are not the same.
formerstarQB16 is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 3:44 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,634
Originally Posted by bkojote
The Skyclub at SEA is insanely nice. I'd take it over the hot mess Centurion any day of the week, especially with the new access restrictions at SEA that make it effectively useless.

I'd say the nicest lounge in the system is by far the JFK lounge, which is apparently the model for all new Alaska Lounges going forward. They had some really nice cocktails, the barista station is legit (and better coffee than anywhere else in the building) and the atmosphere is great with nice views and lots of natural light. Hell I'd say in terms of atmosphere it's nicer than the Concorde Room. Even the bathrooms are well done with fancy toiletries instead of the "picked this up at Walgreens" I see at PDX and SEA.

The only downside is the free food seems to be slim pickings and maybe even slightly less than the other lounges, but not sure if it was opening day anomalies or not. They do have premium options for purchase at a reasonable price, which considering the state of the rest of the terminal (terrible) is fine.
And there are only a handful of flights at JFK so crowding will likely be significantly lower than at actual AS hub airports.
ucdtim17 is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 4:06 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Emerald Club Excutive
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16
Your definition of "state-of-the-art" and mine are not the same.
Upon review, yes my term may be a bit over the top. Ok, how about a nice, contemporary design
Don Draper is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 4:15 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 38,327
Originally Posted by formerstarQB16

Why lounges don't have food for purchase options is another pet peeve of mine. Airport restaurants are generally garbage. Offer a legitimate dining option and the membership fee is automatically worth it to me.
This is where we're spoiled @ SFO - especially T2. Save the membership fee, and enjoy a selection of pleasant dining options.
DrAlex likes this.
Eastbay1K is online now  
Old May 30, 2018, 4:30 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 2,036
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This is where we're spoiled @ SFO - especially T2. Save the membership fee, and enjoy a selection of pleasant dining options.
PDX too--I never felt like I needed lounge access there with the decent (and reasonably-priced) food options.
jinglish is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 4:50 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 280
I've seen it full of Priority Pass people, especially on foreign airlines. Hilariously, I was nearly denied entry the first time I showed my Alaska Lounge card because the agent hadn't seen one before (fortunately they corrected and quickly let me in).

To be honest I kind of wish they'd drop Priority Pass support. Some of the conduct (bare feet, commandeering a ton of couches, etc. ) was really gross.

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
And there are only a handful of flights at JFK so crowding will likely be significantly lower than at actual AS hub airports.
bkojote is offline  
Old May 30, 2018, 5:00 pm
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 38,327
Originally Posted by bkojote
I've seen it full of Priority Pass people, especially on foreign airlines. Hilariously, I was nearly denied entry the first time I showed my Alaska Lounge card because the agent hadn't seen one before (fortunately they corrected and quickly let me in).

To be honest I kind of wish they'd drop Priority Pass support. Some of the conduct (bare feet, commandeering a ton of couches, etc. ) was really gross.
I've seen the same (not yet @JFK) from proud card carrying members of the AS lounge, or otherwise having access with an F ticket. From dogs on the furniture drinking out of the people glassware, to rear cracks that would even embarrass a plumber, to bare feet everywhere ... to people at the gormay buffay taking food like the apocalypse is minutes away ...
Eastbay1K is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.