Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to book Alaska award flight w/ UA MilagePlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Need to book a one-way award flight on ALASKA using UA MileagePlus balance: Sunday 09/23 from MSY TO SFO [5:55 to 20:25]

It needs to be Alaska because I'm booking a second paid full fare ticket and this is the most direct and affordable route and it's timed perfectly with our schedule.

I have approx. 25K UA miles but United are only selling award seats for a single 6-something-A.M. departure on this date, which ain't happening. I want a late afternoon/early evening flight out of NOLA direct into SFO with seats at reasonable cost and extra award availability. Alaska seem to be the only carrier which check all the points so I need to figure out how to redeem UA miles for this flight.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
Need to book a one-way award flight on ALASKA using UA MileagePlus balance: Sunday 09/23 from MSY TO SFO [5:55 to 20:25]

It needs to be Alaska because I'm booking a second paid full fare ticket and this is the most direct and affordable route and it's timed perfectly with our schedule.

I have approx. 25K UA miles but United are only selling award seats for a single 6-something-A.M. departure on this date, which ain't happening. I want a late afternoon/early evening flight out of NOLA direct into SFO with seats at reasonable cost and extra award availability. Alaska seem to be the only carrier which check all the points so I need to figure out how to redeem UA miles for this flight.
Not going to happen. AS and UA are not frequent-flyer partners: you can't book an AS flight with UA miles; and you can't book a UA flight with AS miles.

But AS is a partner with a number of different FFPs, including AA and BA. Do you have miles in either of those programs? Or credit-card points that can convert to either of those programs?
​​​​​​
Old May 25, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Need to book a one-way award flight on ALASKA using UA MileagePlus balance
As mentioned UA and Alaska are not partners. If you had SPG points or Marriott points you could transfer into Alaska. The cost will be steep though- 20k AS miles, so 20k SPG/60k Marriott. The cash fare is $319, so it's marginal value on the redemption IMO.

Maybe apply for the credit card and see if you'll get 25k? The other option would be apply for the credit card and use the companion fare on it.

Originally Posted by guv1976
But AS is a partner with a number of different FFPs, including AA and BA. Do you have miles in either of those programs? Or credit-card points that can convert to either of those programs?
​​​​​​
The flight OP wants is not available as Saver (10k = Saver and available to partners, 20k= AS only). The ONLY way to book it on 9/23 is using AS miles.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 25, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
unfortunately frequent flyer programs are not the wild west where you can do anything with any miles in any program. though we all wish they were. as nicely demonstrated above, you'll need either Alaska miles or cash to book this flight as of the moment.

southwest has a nonstop MSY to OAK that leaves a little earlier. the cash cost of that flight at the moment is $284 one way.
eponymous_coward and jinglish like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
As mentioned UA and Alaska are not partners. If you had SPG points or Marriott points you could transfer into Alaska. The cost will be steep though- 20k AS miles, so 20k SPG/60k Marriott. The cash fare is $319, so it's marginal value on the redemption IMO.

Maybe apply for the credit card and see if you'll get 25k? The other option would be apply for the credit card and use the companion fare on it.

The flight OP wants is not available as Saver (10k = Saver and available to partners, 20k= AS only). The ONLY way to book it on 9/23 is using AS miles.
Good catch re: lack of low-tier award space on the OP's desired flight. The OP is getting quite an education today: frequent-flyer partners, and different levels of award availability!
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

Head over to our Coupon Connection Forum and offer to book someone a flt on UA if they'll book a flt for you on AS.

The BofA AS credit card will earn you a bonus of 30K miles but it may take a month or two to receive them.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

And at 20K I would buy the Sputhwest flight to OAK instead. This adds to yet another dimension of redeeming an award versus paying cash. AS miles worth more than 1c per mile, esp when you use it on expensive intra-Alaska flights or on long haul partner awards in premium cabins.
Yeah, quite an education to the OP on this. Hope it would not be overloaded.
BearX220 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.