Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Class on Legacy Airbus Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
At no time since the official merger were 75k’s asked to pay to sit in row 10 or row 3 where very decent and delicious snacks and booze was being served for free.
I had a lot of seat assignments back in row 26 and 27 as a 75K with the initial merger, and the majority of my flights have been on VX metal. Rows 3 and 10 were not made available to us until August, 2017, unless we paid for them.

From August 30, 2017:
Alaska Mileage Plan MVP, MVP Gold and Gold 75K members now receive enhanced elite benefits on Virgin America flights, putting Alaska flyers on par with its Elevate elite-level flyers.

New benefits include complimentary access to preferred main cabin seating, complimentary Main Cabin Select upgrades and access to advance purchase First Class upgrades. Mileage Plan Gold and Gold 75K members also receive waived changed fees when traveling on Virgin America flights.
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
If you were paying for Main Cabin Select then you were paying a premium. Therefore your snacks were not "FREE" they were prepaid!

I don't see the logic in thinking that if someone pays a little more then everything is free. It may be of better value for some but certainly it is not FREE.

James
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

As for your claim that more people are not taking the VX aircraft I invite you to take a look at SEA-SFO, SEA-LAX, SEA-LAS routes and see if more people are putting themselves on VX flights because they are. Putting the MCS issue aside for a moment, it’s obviously a much nicer experience to have a PTV at your seat, regardless of where you end up. Also isn’t the average pitch on a VX plane slightly better anyway to begin with?

I invite you to prove your counter-claim. If you’ve got numbers to support your assertion, that would be genuinely interesting.

Also, what you call “obvious” is just your opinion. For example, I prefer to work or bring my own entertainment rather than use a PTV, to not have the person behind me poking my seat back, and to not have the glow at night when trying to sleep. And yes, I own an eye mask just for such an occasion, but prefer not to wear it.

I’m taking a VX plane to Vegas in a few weeks and I’m in exMCS (row 3) so I’ll let you know if they did in fact discontinue the free snacks.
Assuming I don’t score every upgrade, I’ll know on Wednesday. Not that it’s a race...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who cares how long it took UA and CO flight attendant unions to merge? I’m talking about consistent service here which UA does a fine job of whether you get a former UA or CO crew. I don’t care when the unions merged or not, nor does it matter here.

It's an example of how long it can take airlines to sort out mergers. And service quality was not the same on UA and CO aircraft for several years after the merger, despite the on-board service starting out more similar than AS and VX. Look through some old threads on the UA forum - people were picking flights to get their preferred crew type. There are no end of comments, mostly pmUA flyers complaining about pmCO crews. It does take time to change on board service and training, and compared to UA/CO and DL/NW, AS is doing pretty well on the transition.

The exMCS rows aren’t cheaper than premium economy, it’s the same price. Also 75K’s do not pay to sit in row 3 or 10 (MCS) in advance since April. And before I was always upgraded to MCS without ever paying for it.
I haven't compared upgrade prices on pmVX and pmAS aircraft, but it was more expensive than the E+ upgrade (that I also didn't pay for) on UA for on my outbound leg last week.

As for your claim that more people are not taking the VX aircraft I invite you to take a look at SEA-SFO, SEA-LAX, SEA-LAS routes and see if more people are putting themselves on VX flights because they are. Putting the MCS issue aside for a moment, it’s obviously a much nicer experience to have a PTV at your seat, regardless of where you end up. Also isn’t the average pitch on a VX plane slightly better anyway to begin with?
I didn't say that more people weren't flying the VX aircraft, but that they aren't flying them for the MCS, because the MCS seats aren't taken. If they were flying for the MCS, wouldn't they buy MCS seats and make them unavailable for upgrades?

I honestly dislike seatback screens. I rarely watch them and they're always turning on on their own, particularly when I want to sleep, and if I do want to watch something, seatbacks get outdated quickly compared to whatever screen I have in my bag or pocket. The average pitch of VX is higher than on AS, but AS configurations generally have several more rows of pc seats that have a lot more legroom, and more rows of first to upgrade into. I fly mostly transcons for work and always took UA over VX because my chances of E+ and its legroom were nearly 100% (exceptions if I booked a couple hours before flying), while I'd have to pay out of pocket for MCS, if it were even open. The VX planes have Red and the things that go with it, but only exit and bulkhead rows in back with more legroom.

At no time since the official merger were 75k’s asked to pay to sit in row 10 or row 3 where very decent and delicious snacks and booze was being served for free.

I didn't think so. But you asked "Then why on earth would I ever fly and pay for an AS Boeing upgrade?". AS is generous with upgrades and I don't imagine most MVP and above pay for many upgrades.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you were paying for Main Cabin Select then you were paying a premium. Therefore your snacks were not "FREE" they were prepaid!

I don't see the logic in thinking that if someone pays a little more then everything is free. It may be of better value for some but certainly it is not FREE.

James
Legacy VX elites would get comp upgrades to MCS, so in a way they were free for some. But, yes, if you bought a MCS ticket from the start, you're paying a premium for the snacks/drinks/leg room/priority lane.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:22 am

If you don't like the seats/service/etc. simply vote with your feet and fly another airline.
It seems to be quite a popular activity to Alaska bash for former Virgin flyers. It makes me think of a group of elderly people sitting around musing about the "good old days" and how much better things used to be.
UAPremierExec, ashill and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
I used to fly VS all the time in Main Cabin Select, and thought it would be similar on AS post-merger. OOPS.

It's now called Premium Class, and AS decided to TAKE AWAY:
1) access to the priority security lane
2) free snacks (though drinks are still free)

But they decided to keep the following perks:
1) required use of the bathroom in the BACK of the plane, even though you're in row 3
2) no storage under seat (personal item goes in the overhead)

Yay merger
VS (Virgin Atlantic) is still a viable airline, you are more than welcome to keep flying them.

And as a note, every VX (Virgin America) flight I took they announce rows 3 and higher had to use the bathroom at the back. But they, like AS will let the front rows use the F bathroom if the cart is blocking the aisle.

And the planes haven't changed VX ALWAYS announced rows 1 and 3 had to put everything in the overhead.

So, sounds to me like you are just disgruntled the VX (not VS) got bought. Things change, don't like it, go elsewhere. If you do stay, it's on you to adapt to the AS way of things. And continuing to gripe that AS destroyed VX (not VS) won't change anything.
jinglish and DrAlex like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
After the #VXFarewell , I am learning that some on the VX side will never be happy. The airline had a lot of VERY nice perks that set VX apart. However, life would have been a bit more challenging had B6 got them... We would probably be hearing a bit more to be honest.

Im hearing 2 sets of debates... 1 is how Alaska is doing things (slow, gradual death) vs an instant changeover. Im not sure which is better.

Alaska isn't perfect, but nor is any airline. Hopefully we can keep pressure on AS to make the new AS a step above everyone else, instead of the "5% better" they are aiming for.
jinglish and DrAlex like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
Exactly my point James. On VX, the extra "fees" for MCS included priority lane and food/snacks. After the AS takeover, the equivalent product "Premium Class" does NOT.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by pt flyer
If you don't like the seats/service/etc. simply vote with your feet and fly another airline.
It seems to be quite a popular activity to Alaska bash for former Virgin flyers. It makes me think of a group of elderly people sitting around musing about the "good old days" and how much better things used to be.
This was actually first time flying Alaska, and my observation was that a very good product (MCS) was destroyed as part of the takeover. I wasn't aware that there was a lot of "Alaska bashing" as you put it, but well, I guess it doesn't surprise me based on my 1 experience. You're right that I can vote with my feet, and I'm sure that others have that freedom as well.

Originally Posted by Baze
VS (Virgin Atlantic) is still a viable airline, you are more than welcome to keep flying them.
I'm pretty sure you could have figured out that "VS" was a typo (because everyone else who responded did).

So, sounds to me like you are just disgruntled the VX (not VS) got bought. Things change, don't like it, go elsewhere. If you do stay, it's on you to adapt to the AS way of things. And continuing to gripe that AS destroyed VX (not VS) won't change anything.
I think you missed the purpose of my post, which was to highlight the important differences between MCS and and Premium Class. Half the perks were eliminated while retaining the disadvantages. Perhaps the differences were obvious to you (or you, more likely, could care less), but I'm pretty sure that a lot of former VX travelers would appreciate knowing this (as evidenced by the bewilderment of the folks sitting in my row as well).

I can't say that I won't fly AS every again, but I'll definitely shop around, knowing that there doesn't seem to be anything special about the product in between 1st class and economy.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This is exactly what I have been talking about

Last edited by dayone; Jun 4, 2018 at 9:38 am Reason: Remove circular link after merge.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Upgrades to F are something totally different that I’m not talking about.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 4, 2018 at 11:35 pm Reason: Remove circular link.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Im a Legacy Alaska flyer and I lllooovvveee the VX experience, it will be missed. However, I appreciate Alaska's product more now that we have had some nice upgrades because of VX, and I wish there were more.

Now about MCS/PE, Alaska did price Airbus MCS a bit higher than AS PE on similar flight duration because of the smorgasbord of food offerings.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Exactly my point James. On VX, the extra "fees" for MCS included priority lane and food/snacks. After the AS takeover, the equivalent product "Premium Class" does NOT.
Well, happy we agree that the extras are not "FREE" Even being a VX Elite and getting complimentary upgrades to MCS (never F) one could argue that there is a cost to being loyal to any program and therefore again you are pre-paying for something you preceive to be FREE.

If you want to base your value analysis strictly on the comparison of AS Premium and former VX MCS then yes, you are probably right. However, if you look at the overall benefits as a whole then your analysis may have a different outcome. VX Elites are now AS Elites and can select premium at booking, not wait for an upgrade like they did for MCS. They are eligible for upgrades to F even on former VX metal that were never within reach. Mileage Plan is still one of the best FF programs in the Unites States and AS miles are the most valuable. (I know some would disagree, but that is a different subject) It has been great for me and my partner. We traveled around the world for two months this year on premium awards and have 6 more booked for the fall and late winter.

VX die-hards should know that the VX model was not sustainable. If there was no interest by Alaska or Jet Blue taking them over it would have eventually folded leaving all their Elites with meaningless status and worthless accounts. Would you be happier with a Jet Blue FF account? Hard to answer that objectively.

VX no longer exists!! That ship has sailed, water is already under the bridge and better than being completely defunct, it is now called AS. You can accept AS or you can spend your money elsewhere. It is your choice. If you find something that provides better "OVERALL" value for you when you look at it as a "WHOLE" then I encorage you to move in that direction. Harping on something that no longer exists is burning energy inefficiently. I think it is fruitless to compare VX to AS because VX IS AS. Let go!

James
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
I flew a VX A320 from LAX to SEA 6/2/18, seated in row 10. Not only are there no more free snacks, FAs wanted to charge me for a beer, so I asked if an MVPG seated in a premium row had to pay, and was told, "Yes, just like everyone else." So I changed my order to a cranapple, (no to a full can and no refills, and no chocolate bar like I would have received on an AS flight). On my way out, I asked about MVPGs having to pay for their drinks, and was told that according to their list, there were no MVPGs or 75Ks on the flight, and that's what they go by. So my question is, how do I get a free beer? Showing my boarding pass with my status doesn't seem to do any good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.