Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska eliminates plastic straws and stirrers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska eliminates plastic straws and stirrers

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by abner o'mal
both the plastic straws and bamboo picks will end up in the same hole in the ground.
If they do, one will decompose naturally and one won't.
jinglish and DrAlex like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Even Disney is using paper straws at Animal Kingdom - I'm told it will roll out to Disneyland & all of the WDW parks.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by dayone
If they do, one will decompose naturally and one won't.
Depending on the conditions of the landfill and how it's setup can cause variance, but the rate of decomposition of paper products in a conventional landfill is very low. It's not like throwing it into a compost pile or leaving exposed. Also, when organic material decomposes, CO2 and methane are released. And plastic products do decompose as well, but at an even longer period.

Personally, I'm not nursing a drink long enough to care if the stick holding my lime is paper or plastic nor do I try to sip my coffee through the stirrer. I dislike the mouthfeel of paper straws elsewhere, but like styrofoam clamshells that once kept my burgers warm, that ship is probably sailing.
jacobguo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.