Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Best options for 3 J tickets to Asia (JL/CX)

Old May 22, 18, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

I was able to find return tickets on SQ for 3 J seats - but need to find outbound. We'd like to be in BKK at some point, but ideally get to HKG or BKK via HKG. I've noticed less CX J seats close-in than in the past 8 months or so. We could also do JL through Tokyo. We could do 1 J and 2 Premium Econ with JL or CX.

Trying to determine the best strategy of outbound ports - ORD, JFK, BOS, SFO, LAX - not sure which has more options. We want to fly at the end of June starting on the 23/24 within a few days.

Thanks for any tips!
Old May 22, 18, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
It's difficult for CX because all the uni students from the US and Canada are going home. SFO, JFK and LAX have the most combined CX/JL flights.

YVR-BKK has 3 Y on JL during your dates, HU has 3 J (but the fuel surcharges are $300+ USD each). SJC and SEA also have 3 J on HU and the fuel surcharges are $235 pp.
Old May 22, 18, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

JL or KE from DFW?
Old May 22, 18, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
JL or KE from DFW?
OP has SQ one way inbound, KE means OP throws away miles because you can't book a KE one-way award on AS just as an outbound (well, you could but you pay the same as a round trip).
Old May 22, 18, 5:10 pm

As long as the itinerary is round trip you can book KE done direction for half the round trip cost and another partner the other direction. Impacts refundability, as if any KE it's gotten the rest of the ticket is not refundable.
Old May 22, 18, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by johnp012001 View Post
As long as the itinerary is round trip you can book KE done direction for half the round trip cost and another partner the other direction. Impacts refundability, as if any KE it's gotten the rest of the ticket is not refundable.
The SQ award was definitely not booked through AS, so the point is moot.
Old May 22, 18, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
I will admit that I got a bit excited when I saw OP posting about booking an SQ award in the AS forum. But then realized it was probably just booked through another partner.
Old May 22, 18, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
Yes. I booked the SQ award first because I found saver availability (for 3 seats!!) and an ideal
routing from BKK to SIN with a 4 night stopover and then on to LAX.

Iíve only done the CX awards once in the summer -
so wasnít expecting difficulty with the intl students.

Iíll probably go ahead and book hotels and intra-Asia flights with a cushion based on my expected arrival. But Iíve only done this flight in F and J so Iím a little worried about the possibility of being in Econ. I suppose I could split up my flight from the wife and kid if need be. Almost too many options!!!
Old May 22, 18, 11:11 pm

Just finished booking an AS award on JL/CX to SIN/BKK with a layover in TYO.

Booked JL on the outbound via SFO. Need to watch the departure cities closely as not all fly the premium J product.

Booked 2 seats the second the schedule opened (530am PST 330days out) and added another a few weeks later when it popped up. Ended up with 3 separate PNR’s and spent hours on the phone (phone MVP line and ask for partner award). Tell them it is JAL and that will scare them into passing you along to a great agent most times.

As for CX, very different experience. Needed 3 in J SIN-HKG-SFO. 1 phone call at 330d out and had everything I needed in a few short minutes. All on the same PNR. Just like that.

Good luck. Do your research and know what you want inside and out before you call.
Old May 23, 18, 1:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jason_stn21 View Post
Just finished booking an AS award on JL/CX to SIN/BKK with a layover in TYO.

Booked JL on the outbound via SFO. Need to watch the departure cities closely as not all fly the premium J product.

Booked 2 seats the second the schedule opened (530am PST 330days out) and added another a few weeks later when it popped up. Ended up with 3 separate PNRís and spent hours on the phone (phone MVP line and ask for partner award). Tell them it is JAL and that will scare them into passing you along to a great agent most times.

As for CX, very different experience. Needed 3 in J SIN-HKG-SFO. 1 phone call at 330d out and had everything I needed in a few short minutes. All on the same PNR. Just like that.

Good luck. Do your research and know what you want inside and out before you call.
I just booked two CX awards for 1 F and 1 J LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE with connecting international F saver space from British Columbia to LAX. Lots of abailability at < T-250. I don't agree that you have to book exactly at T-330 or last minute, especially if you are looking for J. Four to three months out is a good starting point too. That is usually when I start looking and haven't been disappointed.

James.
Old May 23, 18, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

All of my CX trips have been booked close-in - between 7 days upto 24 hours. There's usually been lots of space then (in F and J) but it's looking less now. I've even seen space on Qantas and BA sites but calling AS for partner award - they weren't available.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: