Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Book JAL flight, marketed by AA: mileage earnings on AS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book JAL flight, marketed by AA: mileage earnings on AS?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
GGUs are Alaska Gold Guest Upgrades? Doesn't say in the glossary. If so is there a way to use them to upgrade international partner segments?
Old May 23, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tobikosan
GGUs are Alaska Gold Guest Upgrades?
Yes.

Originally Posted by tobikosan
If so is there a way to use them to upgrade international partner segments?
No, they are only good on Alaska flights. There is really no incentive for BA, JL or EK to allow AS loyalty program members upgrade for free (it would in fact be a DISincentive to credit to their program). AS is partners with these airlines but not in alliance with them, so there isn't even that small reason to allow it.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes.

No, they are only good on Alaska flights. There is really no incentive for BA, JL or EK to allow AS loyalty program members upgrade for free (it would in fact be a DISincentive to credit to their program). AS is partners with these airlines but not in alliance with them, so there isn't even that small reason to allow it.
Indeed only on AS flights including AS International Destinations. Lots of opportunity to get some distance out of them. Did you know ANC-HNL is a mere 55 miles further than LAX-SJO and ANC-LAX is a mere 76 miles shorter than SEA-JFK. ANC-LAX-SJO is 5067 miles while LAX-HNL RETURN is 5112.

Just a little US trivia for our American friends. 😁

1) Did you know that the only State that does not border on the Pacific Ocean and is totally within the Pacific Time Zone is NEVADA?

2) Remo Nevada is FUTHER WEST than Los Angeles!

The beauty of GGU's is that it applies to your connected flights as well if U space is available on the flight and the connection time is less than 4 hours. It is possible to do a red-eye ANC-LAX and connect to LAX-SJO with one GGU certificate. I also did three connecting flights between three countries with one GGU certificate.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
I have a very similar situation to OP. I flew JL118 ITM-HND in I class as part of a longer AA-marketed (and otherwise AA-operated) itinerary. All AA-operated flights posted to my AS MP account in a couple of days but the AA-marketed, JL-operated flight from ITM to HND has not posted. Should I request missing partner mileage credit as Japan Airlines (JL118) or as American (AA8464)? Alternatively, I could request missing mileage credit to my AAdvantage account since miles did not post to AS, but in this case I'd prefer both EQM and RDM on AS vs AA.

Also, would AS EQM for this segment by 500 miles or 350 miles (500 * 70%). Actual distance for this segment was under 500 miles.

Any insights appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Also, would AS EQM for this segment by 500 miles or 350 miles (500 * 70%). Actual distance for this segment was under 500 miles.
500 miles. It's a 500-mile minimum, period.

And you should be asking for credit for the JL flight number, since the AA number will be out of the range of allowed AA flights. Did you save your boarding pass?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:49 pm

I have a very similar situation to OP. I flew JL118 ITM-HND in I class as part of a longer AA-marketed (and otherwise AA-operated) itinerary. All AA-operated flights posted to my AS MP account in a couple of days but the AA-marketed, JL-operated flight from ITM to HND has not posted. Should I request missing partner mileage credit as Japan Airlines (JL118) or as American (AA8464)? Alternatively, I could request missing mileage credit to my AAdvantage account since miles did not post to AS, but in this case I'd prefer both EQM and RDM on AS vs AA.

Any insights appreciated.
You can request a manual posting through the online link. You will require sending a copy of the boarding pass which will have the AA Flight number. The miles credited will always be a minimum of 500 + COS + BONUS + ELITE. If this was an X class or higher (accural will be based on the charts of the operating carrier) you would receive 500 min + 125 Cos = 625 as EDQ & RDM + BONUS of 500 RDM + Elite bonus of 250, 500, 625 for MVP, MVPG and MVPG75K respectively as additional RDM. If it was I class then it would be 500 min + no COS as EQM + 500 Bonus + Elite bonus.

For X and above
EQM = 625
RDM = 1125 Non Elite, 1375, 1625, 1750
For I class
EQM = 500
RDM = 1000 Non Elite, 1250, 1500, 1625.

James
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
500 miles. It's a 500-mile minimum, period.

And you should be asking for credit for the JL flight number, since the AA number will be out of the range of allowed AA flights. Did you save your boarding pass?
Thank you for the quick reply. Good to know that 500 is always the minimum EQM on partners. I saved both boarding pass and E-ticket receipt. Boarding pass is JL and E-ticket receipt is AA. AS website says that I should send both.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You can request a manual posting through the online link. You will require sending a copy of the boarding pass which will have the AA Flight number. The miles credited will always be a minimum of 500 + COS + BONUS + ELITE. If this was an X class or higher (accural will be based on the charts of the operating carrier) you would receive 500 min + 125 Cos = 625 as EDQ & RDM + BONUS of 500 RDM + Elite bonus of 250, 500, 625 for MVP, MVPG and MVPG75K respectively as additional RDM. If it was I class then it would be 500 min + no COS as EQM + 500 Bonus + Elite bonus.

For X and above
EQM = 625
RDM = 1125 Non Elite, 1375, 1625, 1750
For I class
EQM = 500
RDM = 1000 Non Elite, 1250, 1500, 1625.
James
Thank you for the reply. "I" is paid discount business. AS website states that credit for International flights on AA in I class is 100% + 50% COS bonus. AS website also states that credit for JL domestic flights (which is really what this was) is 85% plus no COS bonus.

I'm still not entirely clear about whether to seek credit for the AA flight or the JL flight. Perhaps I just should send both receipt and boarding pass and let AS figure out how and if they want to credit my AS account.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I'm still not entirely clear about whether to seek credit for the AA flight or the JL flight. Perhaps I just should send both receipt and boarding pass and let AS figure out how and if they want to credit my AS account.
Again, the AA number is going to be out of the creditable AA flight number ranges anyway, so it's not really an option. Just send the boarding pass and E-ticket receipt, and specify the JL flight number in your email. Digging through my sent emails right now; when I flew an AA-marketed/BA-operated segment a couple of years ago, I just attached the documents and specified my name and Mileage Plan number plus the BA flight number and date in the email body.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:37 pm

Again, the AA number is going to be out of the creditable AA flight number ranges anyway, so it's not really an option. Just send the boarding pass and E-ticket receipt, and specify the JL flight number in your email. Digging through my sent emails right now; when I flew an AA-marketed/BA-operated segment a couple of years ago, I just attached the documents and specified my name and Mileage Plan number plus the BA flight number and date in the email body.
Agreed the AA flight number is out of range and as per the T&C the flight is technically not eligible for ANY accural. However when the codeshare is a flight on another partner airline, AS will usually allow the credit BASED on the CHARTS of the OPERATING carrier. AS knows who operates an AA codeshare. You don't claim under one or the other. Just send them the boarding pass you have and request a manual credit for the flight.

James
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:51 pm

Just send the boarding pass and E-ticket receipt, and specify the JL flight number in your email.
Just send them the boarding pass you have and request a manual credit for the flight.
Will do. Thanks again to both of you.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond
I'm having pretty much the same situation with OP. Thinking about flying YVR-NRT-PVG on flights operated by JAL. The same ticket is available on both jal.com and aa.com, showing up as I fare. Trying to figure out if I can accrue AS miles by AA's chart (100% base + 50% COS) rather than JAL's (70% base)

Again, the AA number is going to be out of the creditable AA flight number ranges anyway, so it's not really an option.
Looking at aa's earning rules on AS website, they did not specify what number ranges are eligible for earning AS miles. The only restriction for international flights is "the two-letter airline code (AA) must precede the flight number (for example, AA XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass." Is the number range available somewhere in their fine print or is it just enforced by their agents?

My apologies for popping this old thread up. Any insight is appreciated.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Domo5
I'm having pretty much the same situation with OP. Thinking about flying YVR-NRT-PVG on flights operated by JAL. The same ticket is available on both jal.com and aa.com, showing up as I fare. Trying to figure out if I can accrue AS miles by AA's chart (100% base + 50% COS) rather than JAL's (70% base)
Technically, in order to credit to AS the flight must be marketed and operated by the partner airline and fall within the designated flight number range. If it is a codeshare it will never credit automatically. Generally, however, if the marketing airline and operating airline are both AS partners AS will allow a credit of miles upon a manual request with the appropriate documentation based on the operating carrier charts.

If you purchase an AA marketed JL flight the JL chart prevails.

James
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Technically, in order to credit to AS the flight must be marketed and operated by the partner airline and fall within the designated flight number range. If it is a codeshare it will never credit automatically. Generally, however, if the marketing airline and operating airline are both AS partners AS will allow a credit of miles upon a manual request with the appropriate documentation based on the operating carrier charts.

If you purchase an AA marketed JL flight the JL chart prevails.

James
Okay - a link below that might have helped didn't work so

I bought an AA codeshare entirely on JL metal. I gave my AS number for mileage credit before checkin and it appears on my bp. I guess I have to do a manual request for the mileage to post?? Who do I email the boarding passes to (and do I need to send copy of ticket as well?).

2 complicating factors - ticket was purchased through AA vacations (don't think this should matter)
Agent put AA number in box for priority boarding but my AS # is still on the boarding pass in another area. She claimed this would NOT change the credit to AA rather than AS - I asked her twice!!
It may be the case that the miles appeared in my AA acct but not in my AS account - which is what worries me - what should I do?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
It may be the case that the miles appeared in my AA acct but not in my AS account - which is what worries me - what should I do?
"May be the case"? Did you forget your AA password or something?

1. Check to see if it credited to AA.
2. If it did, call AA and ask for it to be removed. This is apparently a easier process on AA than other airlines.
2(b) this may be more compacted since it's not AA metal. They may ask you to call JAL.
3. Once you see it gone (again, check your account) request credit to AS.

However, my understanding of AA policies is that once you accept AAdvantage benefits (eg, priority boarding) you cannot credit to another FFP. I'm not sure if that only apples to AA metal, or if it's a OW thing. JAL gave you OW benefits, and now you want to credit somewhere else? That seems like an unreasonable request to me, but still worth a shot.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
"May be the case"? Did you forget your AA password or something?

1. Check to see if it credited to AA.
2. If it did, call AA and ask for it to be removed. This is apparently a easier process on AA than other airlines.
2(b) this may be more compacted since it's not AA metal. They may ask you to call JAL.
3. Once you see it gone (again, check your account) request credit to AS.

However, my understanding of AA policies is that once you accept AAdvantage benefits (eg, priority boarding) you cannot credit to another FFP. I'm not sure if that only apples to AA metal, or if it's a OW thing. JAL gave you OW benefits, and now you want to credit somewhere else? That seems like an unreasonable request to me, but still worth a shot.
Thanks - there really wasn't any reason to get priority b/c my ticket was C so don't know why the agent suggested it - there were no benefits. Yes, it does look like the miles credited to AA so I will ask them to be removed and then do I have to email or phone AS - how do they see the reservation since they cannot see either the ticket number or record locator (no AS flights are part of the ticket) - so who do I email to?? (It's been suggested that I have to request manual credit but not sure how to do that - in any case they won't let me do anything for 14 days and it's only been 5)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.