Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Book JAL flight, marketed by AA: mileage earnings on AS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

I noticed a JAL roundtrip that is somehow significantly cheaper when purchased through an AA codeshare (JFK-NRT-SIN, SIN-HND stopover NRT-JFK).

If purchased through AA, does this itinerary earn miles on Alaska at the JAL rate (good) or the AA rate (not so good)?

(I know *A earns based on the operating carrier, not marketing carrier. But not sure about this situation since Alaska is not even in oneworld.)

Also, is it just me or do JAL premium cabins earn in Alaska at really great rates (up to 225% in business and 350% in first?)

EDIT: Sorry I'm a bit new to posting...if this belongs in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/ I'd appreciate if a mod can move it there.

Last edited by mizzao; May 21, 2018 at 6:13 am
Old May 21, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
marketing carrier and marketing fare basis counts. the AA fare booking code counts. (Normally for OW flights, and partner accrual. Wouldn't expect any different just because it is AS).
Old May 21, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Okay, then how are the earnings calculated?

Let's say the itinerary is booked in JL's L class. That earns 50% on Alaska: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...japan-airlines

What would this get translated to for an AA-marketed flight? It sure wouldn't be L class, which earns 100%: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines
Old May 21, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

According to this thread, which I just found, AS credits by operating carrier, but you may have to jump through some hoops when the flights are not "operated and marketed by the same partner".

which partner earning applies when on BA metal with AA ticket?
Old May 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
marketing carrier and marketing fare basis counts. the AA fare booking code counts. (Normally for OW flights, and partner accrual. Wouldn't expect any different just because it is AS).
Not for Mileage Plan. Officially, you will earn nothing. Unofficially, and per many anecdotes posted on this board, if both the marketing carrier and the operating carrier are MP partners, you can earn credit for the operating carrier.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Per the MileagePlan website, credit for flights on JAL metal must be marketed and operated by JAL (it's at the very bottom)...

Old May 21, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ralph4878
Per the MileagePlan website, credit for flights on JAL metal must be marketed and operated by JAL (it's at the very bottom)...
...And, as has already been mentioned in this thread, AS usually bends the rules if it's both marketed and operated by AS partners.

Save all of your boarding passes for manual crediting.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Andrew Mao
Also, is it just me or do JAL premium cabins earn in Alaska at really great rates (up to 225% in business and 350% in first?).
And I discount Business earns at 70% EQM, less than PE on JL so YMMV.

Okay, then how are the earnings calculated?

Let's say the itinerary is booked in JL's L class. That earns 50% on Alaska: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...japan-airlines

What would this get translated to for an AA-marketed flight? It sure wouldn't be L class, which earns 100%: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines
No translation. It'll be from the JL chart and whatever fare class it was booked in. My AA marketed/JL operated flights would show the JL fare class as the sold fare class on the AA receipt.

Originally Posted by jinglish
...And, as has already been mentioned in this thread, AS usually bends the rules if it's both marketed and operated by AS partners.

Save all of your boarding passes for manual crediting.
Recommended x2. Last time Customer Care asked for ticket receipts as well.

Last edited by rustykettel; May 22, 2018 at 7:45 pm Reason: eqm, not rdm
Old May 21, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
And I discount Business earns at 70% RDM, less than PE on JL so YMMV.
It reads 70% + 100% = 170% on there as far as I can tell. Unless "Additional bonus" is referring to something else.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It reads 70% + 100% = 170% on there as far as I can tell. Unless "Additional bonus" is referring to something else.
I think he meant EQM. For a JL I fare the accural is 70% of miles flown (minimum 500) which is EQM. In addition you get 100% of the miles flown as an RDM bonus. If you have Elite Status then you earn an additional RDM bonus of 50%, 100% or 125% for MVP,, MVPG & MVPG75K respectively. If there is a Class of service bonus that will also be EQM & RDM.

So, yes, in this fare class you will earn 170% RDM plus any Elite Bonus but only 70% will be Elite Qualifying.

James
Old May 22, 2018, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
And I discount Business earns at 70% RDM, less than PE on JL so YMMV.
Good news if you are looking for redeemable miles. I earns 170% + any elite bonus.
Bad news if you are looking for elite miles. Premium earns 100% while the discount business earns 70%
Old May 22, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I think he meant EQM
Yep. Thinking EQM and typed RDM.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Good news if you are looking for redeemable miles. I earns 170% + any elite bonus.
Bad news if you are looking for elite miles. Premium earns 100% while the discount business earns 70%
Certainly agree with that. CX PE is still better with 10% COS for 110% EQM. I am definitely "Flying for Fun." Like to make mileage runs into mini vacations with my companion certificates (16K EQM each is my personal best) , make extra sub 500 mile connections, choose airlines with the best accrual rates and seek out the "too good to be true" international partner fares for mileage runs.

I have a 30,391 mile itinerary booked in September to fly from ICN-TYO. Huh? It starts in ICN then flies south over Asia, Australia, South Pacific, South America, South Atlantic, Europe, Middle East and then into Japan. 8 segments, 3 Y and 5 J all on AS partners generating 34,119 EQM & 51,589 RDM before Elite Bonus for $2.1K about a $100 cheaper than the price of a JL PE LAX-NRT for the same dates. 😁

I also have an itinerary in February starting in Sydney with stops in New Zealand, Tahiti, Easter Island, Chile, Spain, UK, Maldives, UAE and Japan.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Like to make mileage runs into mini vacations with my companion certificates (16K EQM each is my personal best)
Sounds like the good old days of companion certificates: paid first, Hawaii-East coast round trip. You still might be able to get that in Y or S.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Sounds like the good old days of companion certificates: paid first, Hawaii-East coast round trip. You still might be able to get that in Y or S.
No COS bonus on my Itinerary! 😁 It was 10 segments, (8 mainline, 2 QX) covering four countries over 11 days. I used 2 GGU's each to immediately upgrade 5 flights to F and received a complimentary upgrade on one segment so on two shorter flights we were in Premium Economy. I saved well over $1K using my companion certificate last fall.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.