Wiki Posts
Search

Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Has AS had to cancel any flights? Or have diversions to OAK been sufficient?

I'm scheduled for OGG to SFO on Monday. I don't really care if they divert me to OAK (getting to the city from either airport is about the same) but if the flight gets cancelled, that's different. Finding last minute accommodations in OGG can be challenging (hotels are routinely sold out).

Not that I wouldn't gladly spend an extra day here!! "Working" from Maui... I just want to look into my options.
It is usually the short hops that are the first to go (especially with respect to cancellation). They'd much rather deal with a few planeloads of SFO/LAX re-accommodation than a single OGG SFO.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good point... thanks
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Has AS had to cancel any flights? Or have diversions to OAK been sufficient?

I'm scheduled for OGG to SFO on Monday. I don't really care if they divert me to OAK (getting to the city from either airport is about the same) but if the flight gets cancelled, that's different. Finding last minute accommodations in OGG can be challenging (hotels are routinely sold out).

Not that I wouldn't gladly spend an extra day here!! "Working" from Maui... I just want to look into my options.
On the monitors last night, I saw they had precanceled a sea-sfo r/t for the next day, but that was the only cxl I saw. As mentioned, it is usually short flights that get the axe.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Fri 9 Nov: while waiting to board AS771 DCA-PDX (1720 departure) I heard the GA for AS1002 DCA-SFO (1735 departure) announce an estimated departure of 2010 due to ATC delays for the smoke
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Has anyone affected by this airport change had issues with mileage credit? My return has already posted (into SFO, as scheduled), but my outbound (changed to OAK) has not.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:49 pm

Lots of unhappy customers on Twitter today re SFO flights diverted to SJC.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Due to WEATHER / WIND, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 3 minutes.​​​​​​https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

I moved my Newark flight up to 0755 to get out early. Just knew today was not going to be good when the weather folks start talking about 50 foot waves and 3 inches of rain in some places.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Lots of unhappy customers on Twitter today re SFO flights diverted to SJC.
It's only going to get worse as the day continues. It's gone from showers to rain in the City within the last 30 minutes, and will be pushing down towards SJC as well with heavy rain forecast for the whole region until 8pmPST.

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I had a SJC-LAX-BOS-SFO mileage run today and for giggles I called AS to switch my outbound to SFO for my convenience as a goodwill gesture since I’ve been bitten by the SJC/SFO swap before.

Of course I was denied without the hefty fare difference. Just another reason why I’m against this policy that AS uses in their favor only.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Of course I was denied without the hefty fare difference. Just another reason why I’m against this policy that AS uses in their favor only.
Would it be in your favor if they instead cancelled the flights?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Would it be in your favor if they instead cancelled the flights?
If they canceled the flight, you could swap airports.
tusphotog and jjmadison like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
My short hop flight departing from SFO was cancelled due to expected weather.

No same cabin seats available on later flights. So, I was offered an alternative flight leaving at a different time on some partner carrier from San Jose.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by channa
If they canceled the flight, you could swap airports.
To be clear, I am talking about the SFO-bound or originating flight. If they canceled it instead of operating from a “nearby” airport, who would benefit from that? I was on one of those a year ago. They bused me from SFO to OAK. Was it what I was hoping for on a Friday evening when I just wanted to get home? No. But I did get home, on time. If they had canceled the flight or delayed by a few extra hours, I would have at best misconnect at SEA and not gotten home that night.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
I mostly fly on United and had never heard of this until I saw Chris McGinnis' article today. For me, this practice is totally unacceptable, and I will avoid Alaska flights at all costs. There is no way I would want to go to a different airport on short notice. Plus, the idea of traveling from the city to SFO, dealing with a ticket change and then backracking by taking a bus to OAK is ludicrous. I suppose it's a plus to fliers on other airlines because if Alaska moves flights to other airports on a bad day, then that opens up takeoff and landing slots for competitors.

Is it fair to assume this practice is mostly for shorter flights on the West Coast and that a transcon would be a safe bet for avoiding this?
That was my reaction as well until yesterday, when my LAX->SFO flight on UA was ready to board and we were told that ATC delay would be 5 hours. Fortunately the situation changed quickly and ended up with only a 30m delay. But if delay was actually 5 hours I would certainly be happy to divert to OAK (assuming on-time departure) and take a bus to SFO to collect my luggage and vehicle.

However this would be a big problem for me on departing flights as I normally park at the airport and would not want to park at an alternative airport or arrive super early to catch a bus. And SJC is just a nonstarter for those of us who live and work an hour away.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SFO is often a ....-show. It's nice to have options. Even if SJC is a 1.5hr drive (which would only be the case in the worst of traffic), that's better than getting in several hours late.

It's not like they are going to divert to avoid a 30 min delay. Yesterday the avg delay was 3.5hrs. I'd much rather have them get me to a different airport and be home an hour late than have a 3.5 hr delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.