Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by chrisl137
The B&K noise tracking site (webtrak) is a little less convenient to use than FlightAware, but it shows tail numbers and shows the same tail number (N323AS) for the inbound (AS386) and later outbound (AS303) flights into/out of OAK.
Maybe that will be enough for spin88 to admit my original post about these flights was correct. I did my homework before posting the info and checked more than a single site before posting.

Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like AS386 PDX-SFO, with a 6:59pm departure, has been diverted to Oakland tonight. SFO currently has average 2hr 11 min arrival delays. The later SFO-SEA, AS303, now shows as departing from OAK.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by spin88
If so (and I blew up the flight path and it does look like a OAK departure) then the "diverted" flight which was supposed to leave SFO at 9:51p left OAK at 11:01p. Anyone who went to SFO would be screwed. If you were connecting or were coming from the Pennsula, there is no way to get from SFO-OAK and clear security in time, let alone if you have bags to check.
All the more reason to receive flight status notifications, no matter what your airline.

You don't think Alaska sent out notification, at the latest, when the rerouted PDX-OAK flight departed at 6:59pm? That would be over 3 hours prior to boarding at OAK. I could drive up to Reno in that amount of time, so could surely make it to another Bay Area airport, even on BART, if needed. Would love to hear from anyone on that flight about the exact time they received the new airport information. May well have been even earlier than 6:59pm.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:34 am

(1) Where are you seeing this? FlightAware shows AS303 - which uses a 739 was schedualed to leave SFO at 9:51p, it left the gate at SFO at 11:01p. Obviously that was NOT the outgoing flight that used the diverted A/C. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...501Z/KSFO/KSEA

(2) AS did cancel AS397 which departs SFO at 8:53p and was a B739. My guess is that it was cancelled (more people messed over) since they were a 739 short at SFO.... https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...403Z/KSFO/KSEA

(3) I see no flights OAK-SEA that would have used the diverted A/C (no AS flights out on late Friday using a 739) which is why I assumed it was the shuttled plane.

And no it was not the Warriors, I am 99% certain that they flew on a DL charter, using a 757. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...540Z/KCLE/KOAK This landed at the same time the media reported they got back to OAK. While United advertises itself as the "official airline of the warriors" there is no way that they would actually fly such a crappy airline as United....
If you look at flightradar24, it shows the full history for N280AK, which was clearly flown SEA-OAK-CLE-OAK-SEA on June 9/10 and N323AS flew PDX-OAK-SEA flights 386/303, which clearly show as diverted to OAK.

Edit to add that the plane that flew to CLE (N280AK) is the one with the Kevin Durant decal on it, so I strongly suspect it was basketball related...
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Jetblue uses buses at certain times when the international terminal gates are full and the arriving aircraft is to remote park overnight.
Had my first experience ever with an airport bus at SFO from the underground bus gate 59 at T2. Didn't even know there was a bus gate there in my years of flying both AA and VX from that terminal.

Tom in the air to Albuquerque with bright blue skies at SFO
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tom911
All the more reason to receive flight status notifications, no matter what your airline.

You don't think Alaska sent out notification, at the latest, when the rerouted PDX-OAK flight departed at 6:59pm? That would be over 3 hours prior to boarding at OAK. I could drive up to Reno in that amount of time, so could surely make it to another Bay Area airport, even on BART, if needed. Would love to hear from anyone on that flight about the exact time they received the new airport information. May well have been even earlier than 6:59pm.
No idea about the flight in question, but I dug up my texts from Alaska when I experienced this in late February. Heres the full timeline.

2/28/18
AS 400 SFO-PHX 1615-1909
===

1221 PST
Alaska Airlines 400
Sorry, Flight Cancelled
San Francisco to Phoenix
Link to change reservation

1224 PST
Alaska Airlines 400
Has been reinstated
San Francisco to Phoenix
ETD: 04:15 PM
Term/Gate 2/50B

1315 PST
AlaskaAir: Flight 400 will now operate out of San Jose due to Air Traffic Control delays.
[This text came from a different number than the normal AS flight alerts]

1525 PST
Alaska Airlines 400
Departing on Time
San Jose, CA to Phoenix
ETD: 04:15 PM
Term/Gate: /

My notification came in roughly three hours from wheels up time. In the emails, notifications and the app, there was no info about how we were getting to SJC. It just said the flight will be departing from SJC. Only after calling and asking the person how on earth am I supposed to get to SJC? Did I find out about the bus, (but not what time it left) or the option to get there myself and submit the receipt to AS.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
My notification came in roughly three hours from wheels up time. In the emails, notifications and the app, there was no info about how we were getting to SJC. It just said the flight will be departing from SJC. Only after calling and asking the person how on earth am I supposed to get to SJC? Did I find out about the bus, (but not what time it left) or the option to get there myself and submit the receipt to AS.
Thanks. I got a three hour notification too, but that was not an airport change. I had assumed that the notice was about the same with an airport change (given these are put into place when flow control kicks in), and that is not enough time, particularly when the notices are completely baffling.

Assuming you can figure out where the silly bus is - the e-mails don't say and explain Alaska will pay your way - that takes over an hour to get to SJC in the afternoon, and since it has to get there at least an hour before the flight (to allow luggage check in, security checks) I would think the Bus would have to leave SFO at least two hours before the scheduled departure time.

If someone is coming from Marin or points north, or some parts of the East Bay, it is probably physically impossible to get to SFO in time to catch a bus 2+ hours before the flight with only three hours warning.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:22 pm

If someone is coming from Marin or points north, or some parts of the East Bay, it is probably physically impossible to get to SFO in time to catch a bus 2+ hours before the flight with only three hours warning.
Reminder to anyone if you're in SF, Marin or the East Bay and get a notification that your flight is operating out of SJC (to/from SEA/PDX), there's a pretty good chance you can get on an OAK flight and skip the hour+ trip to the south bay. Just call up and ask.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I got a three hour notification too, but that was not an airport change.
The quote ref is incorrect - it should have been tusphotog.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
The quote ref is incorrect - it should have been tusphotog.
it is... that is weird. first time i've had that happen.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is... that is weird. first time i've had that happen.
Did you start with multiquote and then cut too much from the top? That's my best guess short of some kind of db error.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Thanks. I got a three hour notification too, but that was not an airport change. I had assumed that the notice was about the same with an airport change (given these are put into place when flow control kicks in), and that is not enough time, particularly when the notices are completely baffling.

Assuming you can figure out where the silly bus is - the e-mails don't say and explain Alaska will pay your way - that takes over an hour to get to SJC in the afternoon, and since it has to get there at least an hour before the flight (to allow luggage check in, security checks) I would think the Bus would have to leave SFO at least two hours before the scheduled departure time.

As I quoted up thread, the AS website says to be at the airport at least 2 hours in advance to catch the bus--but first you need to figure out when you are at the airport if the bus is going to leave from/arrive into Terminal 2 or the international terminal--so they suggest getting there to be ready with your new boarding pass in hand to board 2 hours in advance. They also explicitly say that they will NOT reimburse any alternative transportation.

--
If you like, you can travel directly to the San Jose/Oakland Airport using public transit , taxis , or rideshare services. Note: Alaska Airlines does not cover the cost of alternate transportation.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
They also explicitly say that they will NOT reimburse any alternative transportation.

--
If you like, you can travel directly to the San Jose/Oakland Airport using public transit , taxis , or rideshare services. Note: Alaska Airlines does not cover the cost of alternate transportation.
This just isn't right in my opinion. It's one thing to do this and make it easy for people regardless of how they want to get there, it's a complete 'nother thing to park the burden on passengers!
tusphotog, spin88 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
This just isn't right in my opinion. It's one thing to do this and make it easy for people regardless of how they want to get there, it's a complete 'nother thing to park the burden on passengers!
I haven't tried requesting reimbursement but I would guess this is just preventative and them reserving the right to deny reimbursement. If you told them a reasonable story with reasonable expenses I'd hope they'd attempt to make you whole, especially elites.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I haven't tried requesting reimbursement but I would guess this is just preventative and them reserving the right to deny reimbursement. If you told them a reasonable story with reasonable expenses I'd hope they'd attempt to make you whole, especially elites.
In the case of the person up thread, AS said they could issue a reimbursement of some sort but not at the arrival airport but at SFO and the person never did go to try to get the money. Easier to tell somebody in a rush to get elsewhere to say, sure we will give you a reimbursement if you stop at SFO first and track down a person willing to give it to you. Nobody will pay extra to get to an airport they don't need to be at to run around to claim a minimum amount of money and then pay out of pocket to get back from there to the final destination. Otherwise the passenger gets to SFO and the person is at lunch or out for the rest of the day or pulls out the written policy which says no reimbursements. There are just so many points of potential customer service fails.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
They also explicitly say that they will NOT reimburse any alternative transportation.

--
I was told something completely opposite. In fact, the agent told me take your car back to SJC and send us the bill for any drop charges. National didnt charge me anything extra so I just ran the bill through my normal expense profile at work.

Its not inconceivable that a passenger would print a BP at home/office/hotel and show up at SFO 90 minutes before departure, go through security and not notice anything until they dont see a flight on the board. Once they move departure airports, its off the SFO boards. I wonder what theyd do in that situation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.