Planned Diversions From SFO to OAK/SJC

Old May 25, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And pity the poor fool on UA who bought a UA ticket for a plane that has UA lipstick on it, but was canceled (not even diverted) because it was low priority on the UA totem pole. And further pity that poor fool because there's a lot of connecting UA traffic to/from that expressplane. So nice that UA has the luxury to eff over people who just happened to buy the non-mainline ticket.
Originally Posted by fly18725
Cancelling express flights is entirely inconsistent with your prior claim. No airline is immune to flow control: they can just respond in different ways. United inconveniences people by canceling flights. Alaska inconveniences people (probably fewer) by diverting some flights to alternate airports on roughly the same schedule.
The short haul flights are likely connectors. They can be rebooked over other hubs or onto other carriers, often with minimal or no impact.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by channa
The short haul flights are likely connectors. They can be rebooked over other hubs or onto other carriers, often with minimal or no impact.
And often with maximum or substantial impact. But what do I know. I've only lived in the Bay Area for 33 years, and have only flown 2+ million miles since then, with SFO and OAK as my O/D airport for most every trip.

"Oh sir, yes, we're sorry you aren't going to get into SFO in time for your connection in that lovely row 2 seat to SYD in time. But we can get you to LAX in time, and it's your lucky day! We have one middle seat left in row 92!"
pbelmore likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The risk there, of course, is that if you used an upgrade instrument restricted to your home carrier, and if business/first is sold out on a new routing, you may be enjoying your new connecting long-haul flight in coach in the end. I'm at OzFest with a Reno based flyer. Last year he missed his LAX-Australia connection due to runway issues at LAX and this year he missed his SFO-TPE connection (5 hour delay getting out of Reno to SFO). I know this week he ended up in an economy seat on EVA Air when he originally had an upgraded business seat booked on UA. Last year he had a forced overnight at LAX. Not sure he'd buy into the "minimal or no impact" line. He actually plans his connections to arrive at SFO/LAX at least 3-4 hours out just to be safe, and even with that margin he misses connections to the Pacific.

Tom in Noosa, Queensland, Australia
pbelmore likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And often with maximum or substantial impact. But what do I know. I've only lived in the Bay Area for 33 years, and have only flown 2+ million miles since then, with SFO and OAK as my O/D airport for most every trip.

"Oh sir, yes, we're sorry you aren't going to get into SFO in time for your connection in that lovely row 2 seat to SYD in time. But we can get you to LAX in time, and it's your lucky day! We have one middle seat left in row 92!"
And with AS's solution of getting you to an airport which offers no connections to SYD, how is that a better solution? You miss your flight at SFO and end up at an airport which requires yet another connection by plane or bus to even get to a place with service to SYD. Not exactly a great argument for AS's method. People with connections at SFO get screwed either way with AS.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Spares in hubs is common. Delta does it a lot. AS does it to some extent. They've whipped out a new aircraft in SEA for us before.

If AS's scheduling is so tight that they can't handle a couple hour weather delay in weather delay-prone city, they're not managing their assets correctly.
An airline may have a gap in its use during the day, and can shift planes around, but no one lets a plane sit by idle for any length of time.

Managing your assets correctly does not mean letting them sit. A plane not in use is not being used correctly.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:13 pm

UA does it a lot. They cancel Express ops to keep the mainline on time or closer to on time and minimize impact.

The difference with AS is they're canceling (and diverting) mainline planes to try to achieve the same result. That has a bigger per flight impact.

There's a reason UA outperforms SFO by 5%+ every month and VX typically underperforms the airport.

March:
SFO All: 69.1%
SFO UA: 76.9%
SFO VX: 63.9%

Feb:
SFO All: 80.2%
SFO UA: 85.9%
SFO VX: 77.5%

Jan:
SFO All: 75.8%
SFO UA: 81.4%
SFO VX: 78.4%
Also keep in mind the UA stats posted do not include the flights operated by OO or other UA Express carriers. So, yes UA mainline flights were running more ontime than all VX flights, but it doesn’t reflect the impact on my mom who bought a UA ticket to fly MRY-SFO-PDX and missed their ontime SFO-PDX leg because MRY-SFO was delayed 3 hours.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:27 pm

Interesting that in the Alaska forum cancelling flights is no big deal while in the United forum it's the end of the world.

There are no good choices and no real winners.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Flying short-haul to SFO is always risky. AS's problem is how thin the scheduled OAK choices are. 3 million people in the East Bay, and if I need to go to SoCal, hard to turn down close to 20 flights a day to BUR from OAK and CCR on WN and JetSuiteX.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by spin88
...high value business travelers (e.g. my ticket was $289 one way)...
Lolz.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:44 pm

My last three flights from SNA back to SFO in the last two months turned into SNA to SJC flights, kind of annoying.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by chiangku
My last three flights from SNA back to SFO in the last two months turned into SNA to SJC flights, kind of annoying.
Can you share how Alaska got you to SFO ? How long from landing to final arrival at SFO?
Old May 29, 2018, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
Lolz.
on that route $289 o/w is a high fare.... It is a typical close in business fare. It is 42c/mi, which is nearly three times UA's average PRASM. It can go higher (I think I've paid $359 o/w or so) but this is a route where the base fare is usually $89 o/w, and at times the fare has gone as low as $59 o/w.

And BTB SFO-SEA (like SFO-LAX) is sold with o/w being 1/2 of the RT Y fare.
channa and milypan like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Can you share how Alaska got you to SFO ? How long from landing to final arrival at SFO?
First time they offered a shuttle bus. I opted for a friend to pick me up instead. Second and third they offered a shuttle bus but also told us we could take a Lyft or Uber if we wanted to leave sooner and get a refund for the fare from the agent at baggage claim at SFO
Old May 30, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by chiangku

First time they offered a shuttle bus. I opted for a friend to pick me up instead. Second and third they offered a shuttle bus but also told us we could take a Lyft or Uber if we wanted to leave sooner and get a refund for the fare from the agent at baggage claim at SFO
The part "but also told us we could take a Lyft or Uber if we wanted to leave sooner and get a refund for the fare from the agent at baggage claim at SFO" sticks out to me. Who hell wants to get to SFO, go to baggage claim, wait for an agent (good luck finding one) then do the paperwork for a refund? If they said "hey, take Uber/Lyft to SFO or we will pay up to that amount if you are going elsewhere" and I would see it as a ^. But this does not really address the issue. For most SFO bound passengers taking Uber/Lyft from either SJC or OAK is far more expensive than just going from SFO. As ought to proactively offer to pay transport when they divert, which it sounds like they are NOT doing.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by spin88
The part "but also told us we could take a Lyft or Uber if we wanted to leave sooner and get a refund for the fare from the agent at baggage claim at SFO" sticks out to me. Who hell wants to get to SFO, go to baggage claim, wait for an agent (good luck finding one) then do the paperwork for a refund? If they said "hey, take Uber/Lyft to SFO or we will pay up to that amount if you are going elsewhere" and I would see it as a ^. But this does not really address the issue. For most SFO bound passengers taking Uber/Lyft from either SJC or OAK is far more expensive than just going from SFO. As ought to proactively offer to pay transport when they divert, which it sounds like they are NOT doing.
Yes, this sounds like the perfect recipe for a customer service fail. Take an Uber to SFO, arrive and find the agent who tells you the people at SJC didn't know what they were talking about and refuses to reimburse an Uber/Lyft when AS provided a bus for passengers or spend time filling out paperwork and waiting for who knows how long to actually get the money. Not to mention the fact that the passenger then needs to take another Uber/Lyft to get to his/her destination so the amount of time wasted in multiple airports negates any passenger benefit from diverting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.