Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Allianz Travel Insurance bought through Alaska doesn't cover what I expected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allianz Travel Insurance bought through Alaska doesn't cover what I expected

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Until OP returns with the exact terms of what she purchased, there is no way for anybody to say much more.
No feel free to talk, it's Flyertalk.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ghina
I'm not complaining here but giving advice so people do exactly that rather than naively assume that trip cancelation insurance covers your actual cost. Thanks for making my point.
Forgive me for misinterpreting the bold red "thumbs down" title asserting that you did not get what you expected as a complaint.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ghina
I was purchasing several flights and they were adding up so it seemed to be a good idea. Interestingly when I was initiating the claim over the phone the rep assured me the miles, or maybe costs of the miles would be refunded.
Can't you just redeposit the miles for a fee? That is, assuming you canceled before the flight, you still should have the miles, correct?
missydarlin likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mvoight
Can't you just redeposit the miles for a fee? That is, assuming you canceled before the flight, you still should have the miles, correct?
Right, you should be able to get the $200 from the insurance company and cancel/refund the ticket (and pay the change fee/redeposit fee, if appropriate).
Old May 18, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot
Can someone please explain travel insurance to me. I understand real estate insurance, car insurance, and health insurance. I buy these even though I know that I will probably end up paying more than I ever claim, because the potential claims would be hard or impossible for me to pay on my own, but for travel insurance that calculation doesn't work. Anything the travel insurance would pay for I can pay for myself. Why would I buy a policy when the odds are clearly in the companies favour?

Travel insurance that comes with another product that I would need anyway, like a credit card, is a different story. .....
that statement makes me think you have an odd view of insurance generally. OF COURSE the odds are in the companies favour...otherwise they wouldn't/couldn't offer the insurance that the "few" end up needing..... It almost seems that some people expect it to be an investment.....

Of course as someone who mainly travels internationally I value it much differently..... a self funded hospital stay in the US? no thanks! Self funded medical repatriation home? Well there goes the house! No thanks. Excess on a rental car after a collision? Uh-uh. For less than AUD$200 on an average trip I am covered for all those things..... and the peace of mind is worth way more than that...
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by trooper
that statement makes me think you have an odd view of insurance generally. OF COURSE the odds are in the companies favour...otherwise they wouldn't/couldn't offer the insurance that the "few" end up needing..... It almost seems that some people expect it to be an investment.....

Of course as someone who mainly travels internationally I value it much differently..... a self funded hospital stay in the US? no thanks! Self funded medical repatriation home? Well there goes the house! No thanks. Excess on a rental car after a collision? Uh-uh. For less than AUD$200 on an average trip I am covered for all those things..... and the peace of mind is worth way more than that...
It's a bit different in from the American perspective. Many health insurers cover emergency treatment overseas already, and many Americans carry that already. And non-emergency medical care overseas on a cash basis is usually reasonable. So really the bulk of the potential benefit is recovering the cost of the trip, which is not something worth insuring, unless it's a non-refundable several thousand dollars trip. But in the case of an airline ticket, the funds are typically reusable anyway (less a change fee), so even that may not be a big deal since you can use the bulk of the credit later. The airline covers baggage claims for the most part too, so insurance is not necessary there. That's why most Americans travel without travel insurance.

In this case, the OP is going to be able to recover $200 of his $244 trip. That's typically not a value that people worry about insurance over. And don't forget how much effort it takes to recover such a small amount. Insurance companies are trained in how to deny or minimize claims.
Old May 18, 2018, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My travel insurance makes no distinction between paid and award trips. To another point, my wife had to be hospitalised once. The bill came to about $15,000, which we chose to reclaim through our travel rather than medical insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.