can I use alaska air miles to shop?

Old May 16, 18, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

can I use alaska air miles to shop?

I have Alaska Air miles but can't seem to use them on any american airlines tickets - maybe 2 times a month they offer anything at all. Can I use those miles to make a purchase through their mileage plan? TIA
Old May 16, 18, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Not really. Assuming you don't want any trips or tricks for using your Alaska miles for flights (hard to advise without knowing where you want to fly, where you originate from, and so on- for what it is worth Alaska Mileage Plan gets LESS ways to spend miles on American Airlines flights than American Airlines AAdvantage customers do) and just want to be rid of them:

https://www.magsformiles.com/

Donate Airline Miles Give Ways To Help Make-A-Wish® Alaska & Washington
Old May 16, 18, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Alaska miles do not expire provided that you have activity on your account every 24 months. You can generate account activity in several ways -- earning miles with AS or partners (eg, rental car partners), redeeming miles, buying miles. Given this relatively lenient policy, I wouldn't recommend burning them senselessly, though indeed they are harder to use than they used to be.

I plan to keep my AS account on life support as needed by dumping random car rental credits into it. They only earn like 50 miles per rental day, but being that I rent cars several times a year, doing this just once a year or year and a half for a one day rental doesn't impact my free day earning that much in the rental car program, and it doesn't impact my rental car status either since I get those free as a credit card benefit.

I like to try to maintain 25-50K balances in all the major USA alliance airline programs because it basically guarantees me that I can get a last-minute domestic one-way seat if I really need it in a pinch, hopefully avoiding having to pay an absurd last minute/walk up fare.
Old May 17, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AS MVP Gold, UA Silver, National Executive Elite
I've had luck finding booking several last minute AA flights with AS miles. No close in booking fee either. You could always buy award flights for friends or members of flyertalk if you don't want to get terrible value by shopping with points
Old Jun 1, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Gold, Choice Gold
Just got an email this morning from Alaska saying you can now use miles to book hotel rooms... appears to be powered by rocketmiles. This is a new feature, because as previous members noted in the thread in response to OP, you could not use AS miles for hotels.

What an interesting coincidence this thread. Here is the website for mileageplan hotels

https://www.mileageplanhotels.com

Here is the language from AS in my email message:"It's here: a completely new way to use your miles. Introducing Mileage Plan Hotels. Now, you can redeem Mileage Plan™ miles for free or discounted nights at 400,000+ hotels worldwide. Plus, you can book rooms for fewer miles exclusively as an Alaska Airlines Visa® cardholder.It's the only card you need to fly, or stay, just about anywhere."

Last edited by MJMLBBtoCPH; Jun 1, 18 at 10:44 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 1, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
mileageplanhotels.com thread in this forum

It's a terrible deal to burn AS miles this way for hotels (less than a penny a mile), but if someone just wants to get rid of them and not use them for anything more valuable, it is an option.
Old Jun 1, 18, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I've posted this before, but if you have miles with Alaska and don't know what to do with them, donate them to a non-profit. I'm partial to Make-a-Wish of Alaska and Washington (80%+ of wishes involve air travel, and mileage donations mean they can use fundraising dollars for things other than flights), but they have several other options as well.

Neil
Old Jun 1, 18, 11:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
mileageplanhotels.com thread in this forum

It's a terrible deal to burn AS miles this way for hotels (less than a penny a mile), but if someone just wants to get rid of them and not use them for anything more valuable, it is an option.
I completely agree with you. It's an awful value. I'd never do that, as AS seems to usually have good mileage awards for places I want/need to go. But I guess if the OP had a huge stash of AS miles and had no ability to redeem them on plane travel, it's another alternative.

I have a huge stash of American miles, and they are so stingy on saver award space that I have trouble being able to redeem flights on American [to the small towns in West Texas that I frequent], and so in a couple of rare instances, I have used some AA miles for a hotel stay if the rate is decent and I just want a "free" night. You can find some hotels with redemption rates for about 1.3 cents per mile for AA miles, which is ok (better than having no ability to use them on a flight).

Looking briefly on the Alaska site today, however, the hotel prices seemed kinda steep in terms of miles, so their redemption rates may be even worse than American's hotel prices.

Last edited by MJMLBBtoCPH; Jun 1, 18 at 11:26 pm Reason: Clarification

Search this Thread
Search Engine: