Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SEATAC is a bad airport--what happens if not on a partner airline?

SEATAC is a bad airport--what happens if not on a partner airline?

Old May 15, 2018, 9:48 am

I was confused when the OP mentioned 3 trains so I looked up an airport diagram for SeaTac. Has there always been a train in the main terminal that connects to the trains that serve the satellite terminals? I don't remember that train at all and I used to be based in Seattle. I like to walk whenever possible so I may just have not been paying attention.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
you did have access to your bags and could have taken items banned from the sterile area from your bags. E.g. it is perfectly legal to check a bag containing a large knife. Taking it out while you have the bag and putting it in your carry-on would not be.... desirable.
Somewhat related, SEA customs area has big signs saying not to open your checked luggage unless directed to do so by a CBP officer. First customs area I've seen that. You have to present all of your bags to the customs officer prior to exiting anyways. Not much space after the exit and before the bag recheck to move things around, rather than by the carousels where there's plenty of room.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
"There is an interline agreement in place as part of the BA/AS codeshare agreement; however, BA has recently instated a policy where they refuse to thru check bags on separate itineraries. This also applies to BA-BA connections. More often than not there are AS reps to recheck bags immediately following the customs check; if not, skip S security and proceed to departures to recheck your bag and clear security."

I did not see any AS reps but perhaps they were there. Thanks for this info. I do not have the option of buying one ticket as I am traveling on a 2 for 1 BA companion certificate on the transatlantic flights which only apply to BA metal. Based on my experience on Sunday, I'm thinking I may have to build in 2.5-3 hours for the connecting flight from SEA-PDX which seems unreasonably long. Is that appropriate. Thanks!
Quite honestly, in that situation I’d just rent a car and drive to Portland. A 3+ hour layover in Seattle is a waste of time when Portland is your final destination.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Somewhat related, SEA customs area has big signs saying not to open your checked luggage unless directed to do so by a CBP officer. First customs area I've seen that. You have to present all of your bags to the customs officer prior to exiting anyways. Not much space after the exit and before the bag recheck to move things around, rather than by the carousels where there's plenty of room.
Yes, I noticed that last time I came through SEA earlier this year. Which is weird, because if you bought duty free liquids at your departure airport or onboard you basically have to put them in a checked bag at your connection point since you can't take them through the TSA checkpoint in your carry on. Do they really want the passengers to either not do that or ask the CBP officers for permission?!
Old May 15, 2018, 11:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rowsign
I was confused when the OP mentioned 3 trains so I looked up an airport diagram for SeaTac. Has there always been a train in the main terminal that connects to the trains that serve the satellite terminals? I don't remember that train at all and I used to be based in Seattle. I like to walk whenever possible so I may just have not been paying attention.
It's been there forever.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by Chugach

Quite honestly, in that situation I’d just rent a car and drive to Portland. A 3+ hour layover in Seattle is a waste of time when Portland is your final destination.
PDX is my final destination but I will have flown from Rome to London and then to Seattle so by the time I get to Seattle, the drive from SEATAC to Portland would be hair raising. I apologize for any conflation re my Sunday excursion---which Alaska told me (cuz I called and asked) was more than enough time in SEA to make my connecting flight....and if it going to be absurdly tight, I should have been warned and the online booking shouldn't even show it as an option. Sunday was Victoria-SEA-PDX and so my observations about the messiness of that day got conflated w/an upcoming trip from Europe through SEA and then on to PDX. Anybody have a guess as to when the apparently new international terminal will be operational? And as to my original statement, SEATAC is a really bad airport. Thanks
Old May 15, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
If you are surprised about any of the immigration/customs/security formalities of entering the US at SEA, you clearly don't fly internationally very frequently. Everything you described is identical to nearly every other US airport.

Further, I have made a Hainan->Alaska connection in 30 minutes (AS flight was boarding when my PEK-SEA flight arrived at the gate). Had no issue.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sturges
Further, I have made a Hainan->Alaska connection in 30 minutes (AS flight was boarding when my PEK-SEA flight arrived at the gate). Had no issue.
With checked bags on the inbound?

Instead of "had no issues" I would use "Wouldn't recommend this, though", because your chances of consistently making that connection are pretty slim (and zero with checked bags, as the OP has)
Old May 15, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you are surprised about any of the immigration/customs/security formalities of entering the US at SEA, you clearly don't fly internationally very frequently. Everything you described is identical to nearly every other US airport.
The OP may fly internationally but not to the U.S. often. But yes, the process of immigration, bag retrieval, Customs, and bag drop sounds identical to what one would do at LAX, JFK, Newark, O'Hare, ATL, etc.

As for not interlining bags on separate tickets, lots of carriers don't do that any more. They like to collect bag fees. Some do it for select alliance partners. Some don't do it at all.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
I flew from Victoria BC to PDX yesterday w/a change of planes in SEA. 24 minute flight from YYJ to SEA. On time departure and landing. Spent at least the same amount of time taxiing to our "gate". Finally got to deplane and then went through customs/immigration in a reasonably efficient way. Then had to reclaim bags and hand off a piece of paper generated by the customs machine to some other officer. Dumped checked bag on conveyer and then stuck in a ridiculously long and very slow line to get to one of two security check points (which made little sense since I couldn't have accessed the customs area and never left airport confines but be that as it may). No TSA line. Full emptying of pockets, belts, shoes, laptop, etc. It took forever. Then had to get to C gates which took either 2 or 3 trains to get there (I cannot remember!). I had a 92 minute layover. By the time I got to my gate, I was one of the last to board. Enormously crummy experience. If I had flown on BA to SEA, I don't think I could have made my Alaska flight to PDX because I wouldn't have been able to stick it on the conveyer belt cuz no interline agreement. Is this true? Is there any kind of workaround? thanks.
The workaround is to not go through flight connections. Exit the area, get on the train and go back to the main terminal area. Check your bag and go through security there. That's what I did last time I transited through SEA, and it was much faster than that terrible tiny flight connections area.
missamo80 likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=sturges;29756953]If you are surprised about any of the immigration/customs/security formalities of entering the US at SEA, you clearly don't fly internationally very frequently. Everything you described is identical to nearly every other US airport.

2 security lines after clearing customs/immigration for all arriving international flights is a new one on me...and I've flown internationally and gone through enough domestic airports to definitively re-state, SEATAC is a really bad.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
[QUOTE=bigbirdwithsilverwings;29757313]

2 security lines after clearing customs/immigration for all arriving international flights is a new one on me...and I've flown internationally and gone through enough domestic airports to definitively re-state, SEATAC is a really bad.
I will repeat what other posters have said above. Due to the massive buildup of international flights by DL and other international carriers, SEA customs and immigration facilities have become overwhelmed in the past 3 or 4 years. As a result, SEA is building a brand new customs and immigration facility. As you are most likely aware, airport construction tends to move at a glacial pace with inevitable delays, but the new facility will be done within the next 2 years or so.

That said, I would have suggested a 120 minute minimum connection in SEA (or any other major US airport for that matter) if you have to clear customs and immigration.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster
The workaround is to not go through flight connections. Exit the area, get on the train and go back to the main terminal area. Check your bag and go through security there. That's what I did last time I transited through SEA, and it was much faster than that terrible tiny flight connections area.
this is a great idea! many thanks.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Additionally, if your PDX connection is on the same ticket you'll be more than ok. Flights leave Seattle for PDX every 15 minutes at peak. You will be accommodated.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:11 pm

If you have to fly Victoria-PDX in the future, how about doing it through Vancouver (YVR) and doing the customs pre-clearance there, and taking a "domestic" nonstop flight from Vancouver to PDX? That would avoid the fustercluck that is currently International Arrivals at SEA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.