Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Boarding Zone Bingo: What Does It Look Like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding Zone Bingo: What Does It Look Like?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Who is “us”?

AA puts most CC holders in the “exclusive” and “preferred” group 5

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp
Us lowly MVPs.

As AA Gold some CC holders board with us.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jacobguo

Us lowly MVPs.

As AA Gold some CC holders board with us.
Yeah, those who pay $450 for their card. Granted, they get other benefits, too, but I suspect the vast majority of card holders boards with group 5 and the vast majority of exec card members would board with group 4 or earlier anyway.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Yeah, those who pay $450 for their card. Granted, they get other benefits, too, but I suspect the vast majority of card holders boards with group 5 and the vast majority of exec card members would board with group 4 or earlier anyway.
Fair enough
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sdsearch
At least once they start charging extra for it, exit rows should also be ahead of Main Cabin (Group C). Gosh, didn't rows 6, 16 & 17 use to get early boarding before there was Premium Class?
Row 6 got early boarding 20+ years ago. That ended when the hard divider between F and Y disappeared from most of the fleet. Boy did I miss that last month, when I had a Row 6 seatkicker when I was in 3. It was so bad (even glaring back, and I thought she was going to "start something") that I just bit my tongue with a few reverse glares to avoid an incident prior to take off.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
At least once they start charging extra for it, exit rows should also be ahead of Main Cabin (Group C). Gosh, didn't rows 6, 16 & 17 use to get early boarding before there was Premium Class?
Yeah, there was a few months (maybe almost a year?) before Premium Class roll out that they started selling Preferred Plus (6, 16, 17) seats touting extra legroom and priority boarding.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS
It seems that with AS, we are all looking back and reflecting. I guess there is not much to look forward to, at least it feels that way to me now.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:27 am

I think they should board folks by how they are dressed. You dress nicely, you board firstly. The person who is wearing stinky old ragged pants/shorts and a dirty smelly t-shirt, and dirty flip flops. Well, they board last if at all. We need to institute some dress codes and decorum back into society. I do remember when everyone on the plane looked like they were going to church; and were polite to everyone else, especially the crew. But I rarely fly anymore so I grit my teeth and shut my mouth and try and tune the dirty masses out. And yes, I am a senior citizen.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LeeEddie
I do remember when everyone on the plane looked like they were going to church; and were polite to everyone else, especially the crew. But I rarely fly anymore so I grit my teeth and shut my mouth and try and tune the dirty masses out. And yes, I am a senior citizen.
I don't remember when people were dressed like they were going to church, but then I have only been flying since the late 80s.

I still try to be polite to everyone else, including the crew, even when I am flying to a beach destination wearing t-shirt and shorts. Sorry for making you grit your teeth while tuning my dirty self out. I will now be removing myself from your lawn

(PS: what do you think about senior citizens wearing track suits to the mall or on an airplane?)
Old May 16, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I seem to have cut off my own post upthread. Almost more than the actual boarding order, I will the GA would work with the flight crew/rampers to minimize the wait in the jetbridge. It makes little sense to call one boarding group as soon as the first one finishes scanning, only to wait 3/4 of the way up the jetbridge with a non-moving line.
Here's the deal: GA's are rarely willing to PAUSE between groups. Preboards -- then PAUSE and wait to give them extra time to get situated -- First Class -- then PAUSE to let them get seated -- High Elites -- PAUSE -- Low Elites -- PAUSE -- 25 and higher -- LONG PAUSE -- all remaining rows,

Unless there are few (or no) passengers in a particular group, then a 1-2 minute pause is appropriate. But most GA's simply refuse to do it.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by formeraa
Here's the deal: GA's are rarely willing to PAUSE between groups. Preboards -- then PAUSE and wait to give them extra time to get situated -- First Class -- then PAUSE to let them get seated -- High Elites -- PAUSE -- Low Elites -- PAUSE -- 25 and higher -- LONG PAUSE -- all remaining rows,

Unless there are few (or no) passengers in a particular group, then a 1-2 minute pause is appropriate. But most GA's simply refuse to do it.
GAs are supposed to get the plane out on time. Adding two minute pauses at all those spots you mentioned just added ten minutes. Then the weight and final paperwork has to happen AFTER the plane is boarded. Whoops! Plane's late now!
Old May 16, 2018, 3:25 pm

I don't remember when people were dressed like they were going to church, but then I have only been flying since the late 80s.

I still try to be polite to everyone else, including the crew, even when I am flying to a beach destination wearing t-shirt and shorts. Sorry for making you grit your teeth while tuning my dirty self out. I will now be removing myself from your lawn

(PS: what do you think about senior citizens wearing track suits to the mall or on an airplane?)
As long as your clothes are clean (and yourself), you can wear what you want. I realize times have changed, people are much more self centered these days. Like the folks who bring steamer trunks in the cabin and get upset when the FA tells them no,no. Or the people who consume a gallon of spirits before boarding and think they are the life of the party. But you know what I mean. And, I would never wear track suits. Not sure I have seen a track suit in many years. Enjoy you flight wherever you go.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
GAs are supposed to get the plane out on time. Adding two minute pauses at all those spots you mentioned just added ten minutes. Then the weight and final paperwork has to happen AFTER the plane is boarded. Whoops! Plane's late now!
I don't buy it AS starts so early they can afford to take the extra time.
pcoll likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
I don't buy it AS starts so early they can afford to take the extra time.
How many planes have you gotten pushed back as a GA? I don't see there being oodles and oodles of spare time even when things start at T-40 like they do. Final paperwork seems to show up pretty close to actual departure time.
pbelmore likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How many planes have you gotten pushed back as a GA? I don't see there being oodles and oodles of spare time even when things start at T-40 like they do. Final paperwork seems to show up pretty close to actual departure time.
How many have you pushed back? I've been last to board many times and still sit 20 min twiddling my thumbs before final paperwork and door closes.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:37 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I feel like all these FlyerTalk-ers should start their own airline because they have a crystal clear understanding on how everything needs to be run.
Snowdevil, jacobguo and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.