Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
from the first post.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way
Print Wikipost

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Isn't it the case, though, that if you buy 2 tickets on the same PNR then the status of the purchaser controls the fees? I seem to recall that when I have bought trips with my wife on 1 PNR that the various change waivers (in that case the SDC fee) wasn't applied to either of us.
No. I've had to pay close to $375 in "change fees" to Alaska because I (stupidly) paid for my GF to fly on the same PNR with me. I got fooled once by an agent on the phone when I called in to confirm, and I forgot a couple other times. So now, she only flies on my miles or we fly WN on my companion pass. Can't wait to have WN going to Hawaii.

Originally Posted by SoCaltravel
As a WN elite, I have also used the free same day change. I also believe that WN also allows for free changes to everyone if your original flight is delayed more than 15 or 20 minutes. You can change to an earlier Flight with no penalty.
Not sure what the cutoff is for AS, but I know they allow "free" changes for delayed flights. I even had AS put me on a different airline last summer when the Horizon mess was going on.

WN does have a very flexible policy on SDCs when there's delays. I've switched airports, routings etc. In my experience, the policy applies to all delayed flights too.

Last edited by tusphotog; May 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, UA PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Unless you are MVPG/75K, right?

Also puts an end to booking low-price tickets with Amex and later cancel after the travel reimbursement has posted. I may have to look for another airline program for my Amex Plat to ensure I will be able to get my full $300.

Ironically that means $300 of airfare going to a competitor of AS.
Crap. First Amex stopped reimbursing the gift cards, now the book and later cancel is gone. At least I can still use it for cheap flights that I'll actually take... although it wouldn't surprise me to see this disappear as well
Old May 11, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
You realize that the other carriers do not waive change fees for their Elites, and the Big 3 standard fee is $200. Also, SDC fees can be more. So while this is not a positive change, AS is still better by a decent margin.

Also, while WN has no change fees, they also have no SDC at all. Good luck trying to take an earlier or later flight on WN. It's not $25 or $50 flat. It's the fare difference. Could be $0, could be hundreds of dollars. Bought a $69 SEA-LAX and want to change? That new flight could be $386, a difference of $317. That's a high example of what "no change fees" can cost.
True, that the big 3 policies aren't as generous. If that were the only factor, I would stick with Alaska. However, there's just been a list of things they are doing that encouraging me to switch to WN for personal travel, where I tend to book farther out and adjust, and business travel, where I have more non-stop options with UA. Admittedly, my comments reflect what would work best for me and I'm not the target audience, which is OK. But yeah, at the end of the day, it's the sum of the little things (fee changes, route changes, schedule changes that forced me to book another airline) rather than any single particular change. I apologize for not conveying that.

Regarding WN though, A-list does have some SDS capabilities. From the WN FAQ (https://www.southwest.com/html/gener...ers_faq.html):

Free same-day standby will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available.
For the short intra-CA flights, where I tend to use standby, this could work out just as well for those times I finish up from work early and just want to get home. It's not quite SDC, but would work. Being near OAK and realizing that my int'l travel will be limited for a while, it's probably time to take a good hard look at WN, as much as I hate to admit it.

Last edited by FlyingBear; May 11, 2018 at 7:19 pm
Old May 13, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Significant coach maximum redemption increases

Originally Posted by Spiffieman
Looks like they have changed some awards. Increased some and decreased others.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes
I'm somewhat surprised this has barely been mentioned in this thread. As a lifetime Gold (Million Mile Flyer), the fee changes don't really effect me unless I'm traveling with someone without status. But the award level changes do affect me when I redeem.

While I don't use the word "devaluation" as often or as lightly as some others on FT, the redemption changes on some routes are true devaluations of the value of miles. Yes, there are some reductions in miles required for some First Class seats (if you can snag them) on flights shorter than 1,400 miles, and in some coach minimums and First Class maximums of the ranges for redemption to Mexico and Hawaii.

But there are significant increases at the maximum end of several redemption ranges, notably on US transcons and to Hawaii and Mexico.

Within the US, maximum one-way miles in coach balloon from 30,000 to 40,000 for 1,401-2,100 mile trips, and to 50,000 for 2,101+ mile trips. The Hawaii coach max jumps from 40,000 miles to 50,000 miles. The Mexico coach max jumps from 35,000 to 50,000 for 2,101+ mile trips.

The maximum end of the ranges tend to be where frequent fliers wind up if they don't book early, since the max end is not capacity controlled (if a seat is available, you can get it).
Old May 13, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award booking before June 5th, still have free cancellation 60 days out?

I know change has never been free on award booking but they can be canceled for free 60 days out.

Now with this policy change. it exempts revenue tickets booked before June 5th. It is not clear on award tickets from the news.

Does anyone know where to find the definite answers?
Old May 13, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
I know change has never been free on award booking but they can be canceled for free 60 days out.

Now with this policy change. it exempts revenue tickets booked before June 5th. It is not clear on award tickets from the news.

Pardon? Paid and award tickets have the same fee rules regarding cancellation and changes. I've made plenty of award changes with no fee outside of the sixty-day window, and there's no indication that the fee waiver will be retained for awards.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

”Non-refundable” applies to awards as well as cash tickets. AS refundable awards are Z class. All the others will have fees. The actual language doesn’t say anything about “revenue”.

”This policy update will be effective for tickets purchased or last exchanged on or after June 5, 2018.”

“Change/cancellation fees do not apply to refundable fares, whether purchased, award, or Money & Miles.”
Old May 13, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Just something a little humorous...

I sent them an "Alaska Cares" email about these changes, just saying what I thought about the MVP status, that I thought it should retain at least the $25 SDC, and hopefully the 60 day change or cancel. I am sure it will not do any good, but it made me feel better. 10 minutes after I hit send, I got an email telling me I had been upgraded to F on my flight the next day, lol. Has me back, temporarily at least, loving AS. I will probably still try to make MVP again this year just to see what they do. The big change is when they start selling economy. If I am MVP, and cannot change to at least the Elite seats, then I definitely will not make an effort to retain it.

And just to make it clear, I am not suggesting I got the upgrade because I sent the email, it was a complete coincidence on a flight with no MVP's I guess, because there was only 1 person left on the upgrade list. I just thought it was pretty funny timing.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I'm somewhat surprised this has barely been mentioned in this thread. As a lifetime Gold (Million Mile Flyer), the fee changes don't really effect me unless I'm traveling with someone without status. But the award level changes do affect me when I redeem.

While I don't use the word "devaluation" as often or as lightly as some others on FT, the redemption changes on some routes are true devaluations of the value of miles. Yes, there are some reductions in miles required for some First Class seats (if you can snag them) on flights shorter than 1,400 miles, and in some coach minimums and First Class maximums of the ranges for redemption to Mexico and Hawaii.

But there are significant increases at the maximum end of several redemption ranges, notably on US transcons and to Hawaii and Mexico.

Within the US, maximum one-way miles in coach balloon from 30,000 to 40,000 for 1,401-2,100 mile trips, and to 50,000 for 2,101+ mile trips. The Hawaii coach max jumps from 40,000 miles to 50,000 miles. The Mexico coach max jumps from 35,000 to 50,000 for 2,101+ mile trips.

The maximum end of the ranges tend to be where frequent fliers wind up if they don't book early, since the max end is not capacity controlled (if a seat is available, you can get it).
Thanks for pointing this out. I somehow missed that transcon flights can now go up to 40,000 miles. I just booked several flights at the 30,000 level to bring my grad student daughter for Thanksgiving and Christmas from NY to Seattle. The cash fares are so high then that I like to use miles and its a plus that the highest award levels are instant upgrade fares for all elite levels. I guess I'll make sure that the times and dates I pick will work for her before the change in June. Next year I don't think I will want to pay 40,000 miles, so I'll have to look into other options.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by wwongo
Thanks for pointing this out. I somehow missed that transcon flights can now go up to 40,000 miles. I just booked several flights at the 30,000 level to bring my grad student daughter for Thanksgiving and Christmas from NY to Seattle. The cash fares are so high then that I like to use miles and its a plus that the highest award levels are instant upgrade fares for all elite levels. I guess I'll make sure that the times and dates I pick will work for her before the change in June. Next year I don't think I will want to pay 40,000 miles, so I'll have to look into other options.
Depending on where you're booking to/from, it could be as high as 50K miles each way in coach on a fully US itinerary. I'm similarly considering any transcon travel next spring and thinking through my options. Good luck!
Old May 14, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

”Non-refundable” applies to awards as well as cash tickets. AS refundable awards are Z class. All the others will have fees. The actual language doesn’t say anything about “revenue”.

”This policy update will be effective for tickets purchased or last exchanged on or after June 5, 2018.”

“Change/cancellation fees do not apply to refundable fares, whether purchased, award, or Money & Miles.”

I guess my question is not clear enough -

Does that mean tickets (award or revenue) booked before June 5th, still are fee-free to cancel / change, prior the 60 days window? In other words, we have ONE SHOT of free change/ cancellation made after June 5th, based on the 60 days window of the past if the award is booked before June 5th. Is this a correct interpretation?
Old May 14, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Does that mean tickets (award or revenue) booked before June 5th, still are fee-free to cancel / change, prior the 60 days window? In other words, we have ONE SHOT of free change/ cancellation made after June 5th, based on the 60 days window of the past if the award is booked before June 5th. Is this a correct interpretation?
That is the interpretation I have. There is no differentiation between tickets paid with cash or miles. All tickets issued after 6/5/18 come with new rules. You thus get one last free use of the 60 day rule with existing tickets issued with the pre-6/5 rules, award or otherwise. AS’s language does not say “award tickets are different”.

Old May 14, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

Tickets booked prior to 6/5 have no change fee, When you change/exchange tickets 6/5 or later the new fare rules become attached. So you get once change and then no more changed without the fee. So be sure when you reissue or cancel that you wont need to make any changes or just take the refund and book later
Old May 14, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

That is the interpretation I have. There is no differentiation between tickets paid with cash or miles. All tickets issued after 6/5/18 come with new rules. You thus get one last free use of the 60 day rule with existing tickets issued with the pre-6/5 rules, award or otherwise. AS’s language does not say “award tickets are different”.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Tickets booked prior to 6/5 have no change fee, When you change/exchange tickets 6/5 or later the new fare rules become attached. So you get once change and then no more changed without the fee. So be sure when you reissue or cancel that you wont need to make any changes or just take the refund and book later
Thanks guys. Good to know we all interpret it the same way.
I have a Oct/Nov trip to Australia - outbound on CX with a stopover in HKG, inbound on QF with a stopover at LAX out of necessity due to it is Thanksgiving week - only award seats were on 11/22 on the VX metal returning to FLL. I am not certain we keep this trip. If I could optimize the schedules before 60 days out I may keep it. If not, may be just cancel it. The only loss would be the partner booking fee I gather.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
You realize that the other carriers do not waive change fees for their Elites, and the Big 3 standard fee is $200. Also, SDC fees can be more. So while this is not a positive change, AS is still better by a decent margin.
That depends on what you book. On international award bookings, AA allows many types of changes for free. (The main one it charges for is change of main carrier from OW to non-OW or v.v.) UA has lots of partners and you can often get what you want at one time.

For international awards, AS charges an extra fee in the first place and additionally has more limited availability than other partners (on CX, etc) and terrible availability on some of its own routes. This makes it way more common with AS to need to book part of an award and then make changes to it later when connecting segments become available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.