Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
from the first post.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way
Print Wikipost

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pbd456
it increases the relative value of being an elite on AS.
too bad I only care about absolute value
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not for those who travel with their MVP/ non-status companions.
Buster likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Unless you're an elite who travels frequently w/ non-elites.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Unless you're an elite who travels frequently w/ non-elites.
... in which case, WN has no change fees AND a Companion Pass...
Old May 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Isn't it the case, though, that if you buy 2 tickets on the same PNR then the status of the purchaser controls the fees? I seem to recall that when I have bought trips with my wife on 1 PNR that the various change waivers (in that case the SDC fee) wasn't applied to either of us.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Isn't it the case, though, that if you buy 2 tickets on the same PNR then the status of the purchaser controls the fees? I seem to recall that when I have bought trips with my wife on 1 PNR that the various change waivers (in that case the SDC fee) wasn't applied to either of us.
Either you had a booking >60 days out or the policy recently changed on this, because change fees definitely still apply to non-elite passengers regardless of status of primary traveler. I have a flight for June w/ an MVP that required date change and which required up-fares for both passengers, and a $125 change fee for him. Only case I can think of (within 60 days) where this would be waived would be for award flights using MVPG or 75K's miles for both passengers.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:12 pm

There's probably a tiny tiny tiny number of MVPGold couples. Single mvp-gold travellers are likely business folks who don't care about change fees anyways. This impacts everyone, mvp-golds included. No more companion fare speculative bookings, or other leisure travel with spouse.
notquiteaff and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
There's probably a tiny tiny tiny number of MVPGold couples. Single mvp-gold travellers are likely business folks who don't care about change fees anyways. This impacts everyone, mvp-golds included. No more companion fare speculative bookings, or other leisure travel with spouse.
There are already three of us here, and if it is so tiny, why can't they expand this benefit to at least the first MVP Gold companion and/or same family in the same PNR?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
but it would also decrease the amount of speculative award booked by non-elite.

my number 1 worry is the increase award chart. my family will have over 1M AS miles by the end of the year.

Last edited by pbd456; May 9, 2018 at 12:26 pm Reason: add
Old May 9, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by The ITDA
There are already three of us here, and if it is so tiny, why can't they expand this benefit to at least the first MVP Gold companion and/or same family in the same PNR?
Yes I agree. When I say "MVPGold couples" I mean both partners are gold. That coupling is a tiny amount - most mvp-gold folks likely travel with a lower-status spouse and would definitely benefit from a companion waiver. Basically the jetblue model.
rustykettel likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:32 pm

This is for the no more free changes outside of 60 days.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Is it still free to change the class of travel if flight and date stay the same?
Old May 9, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes I agree. When I say "MVPGold couples" I mean both partners are gold. That coupling is a tiny amount - most mvp-gold folks likely travel with a lower-status spouse and would definitely benefit from a companion waiver. Basically the jetblue model.
For the record, Ms. dave1013 would never, will never stand for this!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
This will also put an end to booking tickets on Alaska with Ultimate Rewards points (or other points) for travel far in the future, then canceling ticket and depositing all funds in My Wallet, right?
Old May 9, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
This will also put an end to booking tickets on Alaska with Ultimate Rewards points (or other points) for travel far in the future, then canceling ticket and depositing all funds in My Wallet, right?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.