Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
from the first post.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way
Print Wikipost

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 5:58 am

Was it previously AS policy to offer free changes without paying any fare difference? That would indeed be a great benefit, which they have now scrapped. I thought most airlines charged a change fee PLUS the fare difference.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by Kremmen
That depends on what you book. On international award bookings, AA allows many types of changes for free. (The main one it charges for is change of main carrier from OW to non-OW or v.v.) UA has lots of partners and you can often get what you want at one time.

For international awards, AS charges an extra fee in the first place and additionally has more limited availability than other partners (on CX, etc) and terrible availability on some of its own routes. This makes it way more common with AS to need to book part of an award and then make changes to it later when connecting segments become available.
This is an issue for me. I’ve had several awards in the past few years where I’d book a transpacific segment (such as CX) far in advance, then add AS legs to connect to the trans pacific segment later when saver availability opens up.

The new policy will likely mean I will have to pay a change fee to add an AS segment to future award itineraries. AS is getting more and more tight fisted on releasing lower prices far in advance - both for award and cash tickets.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jrpallante
Was it previously AS policy to offer free changes without paying any fare difference? That would indeed be a great benefit, which they have now scrapped. I thought most airlines charged a change fee PLUS the fare difference.
They have always charged (or refunded) the fare difference for anything that isn’t SDC. They just didn’t charge extra fees until under 60 days from departure.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
That depends on what you book. On international award bookings, AA allows many types of changes for free. (The main one it charges for is change of main carrier from OW to non-OW or v.v.) UA has lots of partners and you can often get what you want at one time.

For international awards, AS charges an extra fee in the first place and additionally has more limited availability than other partners (on CX, etc) and terrible availability on some of its own routes. This makes it way more common with AS to need to book part of an award and then make changes to it later when connecting segments become available.
BUT AA charges more AAdvantage miles and doesn't allow any stopovers. I have booked complete itineraries on EK, CX and QF without any issues. CX has always matched what I found for availability elsewhere. This year I have flown EK J SFO-DXB/26 days/DXB-JNB 105K, CX J/F JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS 70K, redeemed my 50K MVPG75K bonus for a flight for my brother CX J YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS and have QF8 F booked for August.

I am in favour of eliminating the free change fees greater than 60 days out. In the 20+ years flying with AS (remember the MD80's?) I rarely book out more than 60 days and have never changed a reservation once booked. It will weed out those buying weekends worth of $69 transcons. They want Alaska to be loyal to them without any commitment/loyalty to Alaska. I have no problem with Mileage runs but don't speculatively book a bunch of seats you don't intend to use.

James
Old May 16, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have booked complete itineraries on EK, CX and QF without any issues. CX has always matched what I found for availability elsewhere.
Sure. And so long as you just want to fly to/from a CX destination, that's fine. If you happen to need a connection, there may be no award space on AS.

I often book 11 months out and even that doesn't guarantee AS connections when/where you need them.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:31 am
Original Member

For the 60 day free change, does this mean this benefit stops on or after 6/5 period? Or are tickets purchased before 6/5 grandfathered with a free change before 60 day window because that policy was in place at time of ticketing? Thanks.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sggolf
For the 60 day free change, does this mean this benefit stops on or after 6/5 period? Or are tickets purchased before 6/5 grandfathered with a free change before 60 day window because that policy was in place at time of ticketing? Thanks.
Been discussed above and is detailed on Alaska news release. Tix purchased pre 6/5 will still allow free changes prior to 60 days out, however, once that change occurs, the ticket is re-issued with new fare rules and will block future changes.

Example: ticket purchased on 6/1 for travel in December. You could change it again in August per the current policies, however, once the ticket is changed/re-issued no further free changes will be permitted (unless MVPG or 75K change waiver).

Last edited by be_rettSEA; May 16, 2018 at 11:35 am Reason: clarifying free changes
Old May 16, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I am in favour of eliminating the free change fees greater than 60 days out. In the 20+ years flying with AS (remember the MD80's?) I rarely book out more than 60 days and have never changed a reservation once booked.
In more than a decade of flying with AS (including time on MD-80s), I often book more than 60 days out and often change or cancel reservations once booked, and often do SDC. It has nothing to do with mileage running; it has to do with plans changing.

I'll be good for 2019 since I've taped out MVPG (this included buying GGU-eligible fares, so it's not like I spend ALL my time in G/T/R fares) but these changes plus AS cranking out their Xeroxed copy of DL Basic Economy means I'll spend the rest of 2018-2019 evaluating other options (with a bias towards WN on a lot of them- I'll miss SDC but in the end I simply don't find the carrot of an upgrade and some hummus worth chasing on short flights. I've already flown DL and spent some SkyPesos™†). I find the value proposition of having flexibility in my plans at reasonable fares to be very handy, even if I don't and won't fly enough to get Super Vibranium Über Elite with Diamond and Oak Cluster.

They want Alaska to be loyal to them without any commitment/loyalty to Alaska.
Loyalty is for chumps* when it comes to multibillion dollar corporations that owe their shareholders dividends and profit. In fact, chumps who will make poor economic decisions based on non-tangible values are exactly the kind of customers you want to make profits, and if you can wave shiny cards named after precious metals and stones and emotionally loaded terms like "loyalty" to get them to be chumps and hand over their wallets, so much the better. So I don't really care about loyalty. I expect Alaska Airlines to do what they think is in their best interest, and me to do what is in mine.

I want value for what I spend. I freely grant that a large multibillion dollar corporation might not find my custom valuable. I'm the best person to understand my needs and what I find value in. These changes make the program less valuable for me. In the end, I can actually use cash money to buy RDMs in AS (or other programs, even), so the "mile earned for a mile flown" factor isn't as important to me.

†I guess credit @gleff for that one.
*and @Herb687 for that one.
Happy likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
In defense of AS

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I got an upgrade on back when AS/DL weren't being *ssholes to each other!
I was in the travel trade for about 30 years. Before DL came to SEA, pretending to look for an agreement, but secretly intending to wipe AS off the map, I saw DL pull a similar tactic on Austrian Airlines (I knew someone in OS' sales office), making nice scooping up all of their trade secrets, then waltzing away.

There was also an airline out of Alaska that decided to have a fare war with AS - Markair. AS drove them out of business, and there is one simple reason, and I have come to use it as an axiom: OTHER THINGS EQUAL, PEOPLE WILL BE LOYAL TO THEIR FREQUENT FLYER PLAN.

Northwest got hurt badly for exactly that reason by starting a fare war with AC on the LAX-YYZ route.
The punch line: I believe that AS was only acting defensively against a dishonorable competitor.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thefareguru
I was in the travel trade for about 30 years. Before DL came to SEA, pretending to look for an agreement, but secretly intending to wipe AS off the map, I saw DL pull a similar tactic on Austrian Airlines (I knew someone in OS' sales office), making nice scooping up all of their trade secrets, then waltzing away.

There was also an airline out of Alaska that decided to have a fare war with AS - Markair. AS drove them out of business, and there is one simple reason, and I have come to use it as an axiom: OTHER THINGS EQUAL, PEOPLE WILL BE LOYAL TO THEIR FREQUENT FLYER PLAN.

Northwest got hurt badly for exactly that reason by starting a fare war with AC on the LAX-YYZ route.
The punch line: I believe that AS was only acting defensively against a dishonorable competitor.
Are you saying AS changed its program to the worse, is an defensive act against DL? I dont get it. So AS stooped down to get close to DL's level as a defense against DL being a dishonorable competitor? Shouldn't it be the other way round to show customers that AS is far better an option for their $ because AS program is more customer friendly? If there is less and less differentials between AS and the US3, why should people continue to choose AS when DL flies out of SEA just fine?

AS already made a costly mistake buying VX at a very inflated price to ward off B6 getting bigger. Not only they paid it dearly they also had a lot of difficulties integrating the 2 airlines both the operations and the cultures. Now it is heading yet another wrong direction. They can at least take a page from AA which allows many free changes for everyone, no need to be elite at all. While we moan and groan on AA's scanty availability, when it is found, even on the day of travel, you can change your itinerary, for free. While AA costs more miles, AA miles are much easier to get than AS miles, cheaply even. The equation needs to be looked at on both sides. AS mow has eliminated the one big advantage it has over the other US airlines.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS
Actually received a reply from Alaska Cares.
I submitted comments to them regarding the recent changes to the 60 day policy and increase of SDC fees. I indicated that the previous policy should remain intact for MVP and above members.
they replied that this was a decision they made to remain competitive with the industry.
Not sure if I buy that but, they did say our comments are passed on internally for further discussion. So , maybe , there could be a change down the road???? Not holding my breath. Also, not going to work at keeping MVP again next year.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Are you saying AS changed its program to the worse, is an defensive act against DL? I dont get it. So AS stooped down to get close to DL's level as a defense against DL being a dishonorable competitor? Shouldn't it be the other way round to show customers that AS is far better an option for their $ because AS program is more customer friendly? If there is less and less differentials between AS and the US3, why should people continue to choose AS when DL flies out of SEA just fine?

AS already made a costly mistake buying VX at a very inflated price to ward off B6 getting bigger. Not only they paid it dearly they also had a lot of difficulties integrating the 2 airlines both the operations and the cultures. Now it is heading yet another wrong direction. They can at least take a page from AA which allows many free changes for everyone, no need to be elite at all. While we moan and groan on AA's scanty availability, when it is found, even on the day of travel, you can change your itinerary, for free. While AA costs more miles, AA miles are much easier to get than AS miles, cheaply even. The equation needs to be looked at on both sides. AS mow has eliminated the one big advantage it has over the other US airlines.
You obviously were not a UA flyer during the UA/CO merger. Now THAT was a LOT of difficulties. This one has been a breeze for those of us that suffered that merger, which 6 years later is still a mess in my book.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
You obviously were not a UA flyer during the UA/CO merger. Now THAT was a LOT of difficulties. This one has been a breeze for those of us that suffered that merger, which 6 years later is still a mess in my book.
I got thru the UA/CO merger. SHARE kept dropping segments, remember that?

AS and VX are much smaller airlines to integrate than UA and CO that swallowed it.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UA Gold
The 60 day cancel was a nice differentiator for AS that didn't cost the airline anything. Website reservations are automated. AS can easily resell any seat on any plane 60 days out. AS still holds on to your cash, earning interest on it, no matter what. What's not to like? SMH.

At the very least, keeping the 60 day cancel as-is would be a nice bone for lowly MVPs, who haven't had anything to celebrate lately.

Originally Posted by pcoll
Actually received a reply from Alaska Cares.
I submitted comments to them regarding the recent changes to the 60 day policy and increase of SDC fees. I indicated that the previous policy should remain intact for MVP and above members.
they replied that this was a decision they made to remain competitive with the industry.
Not sure if I buy that but, they did say our comments are passed on internally for further discussion. So , maybe , there could be a change down the road???? Not holding my breath. Also, not going to work at keeping MVP again next year.
pcoll likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
It's a backdoor way to increase fares, at least that's what they want it to be.

Personally, I liked the 60 day cancel period; it worked well and was a nice way to compete head to head with Southwest. It worked.

Now I dunno, it actually irks me. I am not sure how much it will affect me, but I do not think it's a good move.

Originally Posted by FijiBill
The 60 day cancel was a nice differentiator for AS that didn't cost the airline anything. Website reservations are automated. AS can easily resell any seat on any plane 60 days out. AS still holds on to your cash, earning interest on it, no matter what. What's not to like? SMH.

At the very least, keeping the 60 day cancel as-is would be a nice bone for lowly MVPs, who haven't had anything to celebrate lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.