Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
from the first post.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes

Same day confirmed changes will be effective for travel that takes place on or after June 5, 2018, not ticketed by June 5.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...charts/changes

Edit: There're changes with AS award chart too.

Effective for bookings on or after June 25, 2018, you’ll see some changes to award pricing on Alaska Airlines flights, including:
  • Reduced lowest award level on short-distance First Class flights
  • Reduced refundable award level pricing on First Class flights shorter than 1,400 miles within the contiguous US and Alaska, and on First Class flights shorter than 2,100 miles from the US to Mexico
  • A new lowest award level of just 10,000 miles on Main Cabin flights from California to select destinations in Mexico (flights shorter than 1,400 miles)
  • Hawaii awards starting as low as 15,000 miles one-way
Print Wikipost

SDC Fees Increase to $50, Free 60-Day Change Eliminated, and Award Changes (6/5/2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
sigh i thought this page was still correct https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi.../faq-redeeming
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Dawgshouse
The system apparently does not have a way to distinguish when the reservation was booked. The phone rep can take care of this for you.
The "system" can distinguish when the reservation was booked even quicker than a phone rep can... AS just chose not to take the time to code that.

Honestly, this is worthy of a DOT complaint. There will be thousands of folks who don't know their rights and don't know to call who will be charged unnecessarily unless AS is forced to fix this bug.
be_rettSEA and SpicyMorale like this.

Last edited by Tracer_SEA; Jun 12, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:20 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Dawgshouse
Yeah. Called on this the other day. The system apparently does not have a way to distinguish when the reservation was booked. The phone rep can take care of this for you.
The system is able to distinguish when a ticket was booked/last reissued. What it cannot do is distinguish between a ticket that may have been reissued due to schedule change vs a voluntary itinerary change. And it may be having issues with distinguishing the date on tickets that have had multiple changes. The issue is being investigated now.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:10 pm

would be smart to apply the 60 day change fee waiver broadly based upon original ticketing date, which is logically pretty fair as the passenger gave his money to AS under the terms that the funds would never be subject to change fees as long as the change was made 60 days prior to travel

only new money should be subject to new terms
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Now that the $125 fee is fully implemented, do we know whether this impacts the price guarantee process?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by geclub1
Now that the $125 fee is fully implemented, do we know whether this impacts the price guarantee process?
I almost pulled the trigger on a $5 fare difference - I took it all the way to the final page before submit/execute. There did not appear to be any $125 fee listed anywhere. I did not submit/execute because that should/would have gotten rid of my 60 day+ cancel ability (not worth $5). SO, maybe there was something after that page, but upon first examination there is no $125 change fee associated with the price guarantee.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I almost pulled the trigger on a $5 fare difference - I took it all the way to the final page before submit/execute. There did not appear to be any $125 fee listed anywhere. I did not submit/execute because that should/would have gotten rid of my 60 day+ cancel ability (not worth $5). SO, maybe there was something after that page, but upon first examination there is no $125 change fee associated with the price guarantee.
Would be shocked if they implemented a fee for this, as the price differences I've received from this have always been well below $125, so it would largely negate it. Also, if past policy is any indication (becoming less reliable these days), there was never a caveat that the lower fare needed to be found at least 60 days prior to departure unless you're MVPG of 75K to claim it. That said, am sure it does count as the "one change" after the policy change for fare changes, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the next AS perks to disappear that differentiates it from most other US airlines.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
A few months ago, long before the policy change, I redeemed points for a CX flight in January of 2019. I made a change last week to upgrade from premium economy to business class (as there were no business class tickets available when I made my original booking), and called today to change my departure date by a day. I was shocked to find out I'd have to pay a $125 change fee.

If the policy at the time of booking was free and unlimited changes until 60 days prior to departure, shouldn't that still apply, since that was the policy under which I booked my flight? Does the US DoT regulate this sort of thing? Who can I complain to?

Can a Canadian citizen/resident file a complaint with the US DoT?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You did not “upgrade” the ticket. If you redeemed an award for a PE ticket and then changed to J, that is a new award and new ticket issue under the new rules. Feel free to crusade however you would like, but there was no “upgrade” involved in what you did. Ticket reissues when you change date, time or class of service mean you have a new ticket that was issued after 6/5 under Alaska’s current rules. If you wanted to preserve your free change you needed to keep your original ticket.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:42 pm

Applying the new rules to a ticket originally issued under the old rules is just ......... Anyone who was originally ticketed before June 5 should be able to make unlimited changes, as those were the terms at the time. Making a change after June 5 shouldn't change the terms of the contract. It's sketchy, and should be illegal. I expect better from Alaska, but they're turning into your typical American airline.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ryandk
Applying the new rules to a ticket originally issued under the old rules is just ......... Anyone who was originally ticketed before June 5 should be able to make unlimited changes, as those were the terms at the time. Making a change after June 5 shouldn't change the terms of the contract. It's sketchy, and should be illegal. I expect better from Alaska, but they're turning into your typical American airline.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...and-conditions

Changes to the Mileage Plan and member accounts

Alaska Airlines may terminate the Mileage Plan program 180 days after publishing notice of program termination on www.alaskaair.com.

Alaska Airlines may, in its sole discretion, amend the Mileage Plan conditions of membership, including terminating any member's ability to redeem miles already accrued, at any time.

Any and all changes in the conditions of membership, including rules regarding the number of miles needed for a Mileage Plan award, are retroactive and apply to all previously accumulated mileage.

The accumulation of mileage in a member's account does not entitle the member to any vested rights with respect to any specific awards or specific Mileage Plan benefits. In accumulating mileage, members may not rely upon the continued availability of any award or award level, and members may not be able to obtain awards for all destinations or flights. Alaska Airlines may, among other things:
  • Change Mileage Plan benefits, participant affiliations, or cities served
  • Limit the number of seats available for award travel or otherwise restrict the continued availability of travel awards or special offers
  • Increase or decrease the mileage required for an award
  • Modify transferability of miles and awards
Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan partners may on occasion implement changes affecting Mileage Plan benefits without prior notice to members.
I don't think the "contract" is what you think it is. Have fun tilting at this windmill.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Applying the new rules to a ticket originally issued under the old rules is just ......... Anyone who was originally ticketed before June 5 should be able to make unlimited changes, as those were the terms at the time. Making a change after June 5 shouldn't change the terms of the contract. Sounds sketchy to me, and should be illegal.
The rules changed! Life moves on. The change fee used to be waived outside 60 days. When the new rules took effect, existing reservations were granted one change waiver if still outside the 60 day window. You used that and your new reservation is bound by the new rules since it is after the effective date for those changes. It was disclosed. I don't know why you would think it was sketchy and should be illegal.

James
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:27 pm

because you gave your money to Alaska under the terms that all changes made at least 60 days out are free.
when Alaska changed its policy, what is the recourse if the customer does not consent?
is Alaska offering a refund on nonrefundable fares?
the answer is no. Alaska is keeping your money forever and changing the terms of the services it will provide for that money.
my prediction here is that Alaska will refund all $125 change fees in this scenario upon request.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:37 pm

How could it not be illegal? I redeemed my miles under certain conditions, and they say - oh - sorry - we decided to change those conditions now. Too bad. That's not acceptable.

Why would any consumer just accept this?

I wasn't notified that I was entitled to only one change. How would I know this, when it clearly says on https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes that there's no fee for changes/cancellations for tickets issued prior to June 5?

At the bottom of the page, it has a link to their current change and cancellation fees for tickets purchased on or after June 5. My ticket wasn't purchased on or after June 5. It was changed, so that shouldn't apply to me. However, when you click on that, there's a link to view change and cancellation fees for tickets purchased or last exchanged prior to June 5. There's a lack of clarity on the website, and the agents don't tell you what you need to know. I don't look at the terms and conditions on the website for fun. Who has time for that?

When I was ticketed, there was an understanding that I would be able to make changes with no fees until 60 days before travel. I don't read the terms and conditions on their website for fun. There was no notification by email or from the agent when I made the first change. This is not right.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

I wasn't notified that I was entitled to only one change. How would I know this, when it clearly says on https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...es/fee-changes that there's no fee for changes/cancellations for tickets issued prior to June 5?

At the bottom of the page, it has a link to their current change and cancellation fees for tickets purchased on or after June 5. My ticket wasn't purchased on or after June 5. It was changed, so that shouldn't apply to me.
Sorry, your ticket purchased prior to June 5th was cancelled and a new ticket was issued after June 5th to replace it. There was no fee to you to do that change. The rules effective June 5th now apply. You could have made as many changes as you needed to prior to June 5th without a fee as long as it was still over 60 days from departure. It is important to read the terms and conditions to see how they may apply to you. If you have MVPG+ Elite status then all "change" fees are waived. Do you fly AS?

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.