Same day change AND upgrade

Old May 8, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Same day change AND upgrade

Im flying ANC to SFO via SEA - my first flight is showing sold out in F (and I have no AS status for comp upgrade) but the schedule from ANC is very regular and I'm hoping to upgrade to F. If there is F availability showing on day of departure, can I pay $25 to same day change AND simultaneously buy upgrade to F on earlier flight?

If so can this be done online, or do I need to call?
Old May 8, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Odds are very slim that there will actually be paid upgrades available since its elite heavy route (U space must be available). Must be confirmed on the flight before you can request an upgrade.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SFGuy37
Im flying ANC to SFO via SEA - my first flight is showing sold out in F (and I have no AS status for comp upgrade) but the schedule from ANC is very regular and I'm hoping to upgrade to F. If there is F availability showing on day of departure, can I pay $25 to same day change AND simultaneously buy upgrade to F on earlier flight?

I'd say your chances are about as good as being offered an LBFU ORD-DFW or a cash upgrade at checkin on ATL-LGA/JFK, if you'd like more examples of airlines you are familiar with where you are also flying between two hubs that are crammed full of elites...

But if you SDC on the app and there's U available on the flight you switch to because there are ZERO people on the F waitlist, yeah, they might offer it to you during checkin. I wouldn't be making plans on enjoying the F prosecco, though.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'd say your chances are about as good as being offered an LBFU ORD-DFW
Old May 8, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by SFGuy37

if you have no status how will you obtain the upgrade following your confirmation of the flight?
i just did this today our of SMF. We are Golds but I still had to go up to the gate counter and asked to be added to the waitlist and than upgrade. Had I not had status I would have been unable to obtain the UG unless I paid for it or had a ticket class that I could use miles to upgrade with.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by JPat

if you have no status how will you obtain the upgrade following your confirmation of the flight?
i just did this today our of SMF. We are Golds but I still had to go up to the gate counter and asked to be added to the waitlist and than upgrade. Had I not had status I would have been unable to obtain the UG unless I paid for it or had a ticket class that I could use miles to upgrade with.
Exactly- he'd pay cash for it. Alaska's cash buy ups are very reasonably priced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.