Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAN has been a mess lately

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
SAN has been a mess lately

Alaska really does not seem to have a handle on it’s operations at SAN. Terminal 1 is an absolute disaster with an hour wait for TSA Pre security in the morning, limited and overpriced food options as well as the continuing lack of a lounge.

This morning we had three different flights leaving from the same gate, all within a ten minute window: SMF, SJC and DAL. My DAL flight, with a final destination of DCA ends up being delayed almost an hour and it looks like I may miss my connection. I chose AS for this flight because I am trying to be loyal but the nonstop on UA to IAD is looking more and more appealing.

This type of situation, which is happening more and more lately, as well as the lack of an SFO lounge (completely unacceptable) is giving me pause as to whether AS is right for California flyers.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
is TSA actually running pre-check or just pre light. My luck i always arrive when its closed all together
Old May 7, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
This morning they were running full on TSA Pre but the line was backed up outside. It is another issue that the full lane is so often closed.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:32 am

SAN security is a mess anytime of day, in any terminal, but T1 during early morning hours (both the AS and WN checkpoints) definitely are some of the worst experiences I've had as far as TSA goes in the country. I don't necessarily fault AS for that part...it's not like they want to be in T1 and neither does WN.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
I flew from the SAN T2-E Alaska gate last Friday evening and ran into a BA crowd checking in for the flight to Heathrow. Several hundred Europeans unfamiliar with US security procedures. TSA Pre line was closed completely. Hour-long line for security. Probably would have been faster to clear at T2-W and walk back to Gate 26.

One week prior, clearing security at T1-W, ran into a situation where roughly 9 out of every 10 carry on bags was flagged for additional screening. Backed up security like a Monday morning (at 8 pm on a Friday). I’ve also encountered backups at security for my last two Southwest flights out of SAN.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfosyd
Alaska really does not seem to have a handle on it’s operations at SAN. Terminal 1 is an absolute disaster with an hour wait for TSA Pre security in the morning, limited and overpriced food options as well as the continuing lack of a lounge.

This morning we had three different flights leaving from the same gate, all within a ten minute window: SMF, SJC and DAL. My DAL flight, with a final destination of DCA ends up being delayed almost an hour and it looks like I may miss my connection. I chose AS for this flight because I am trying to be loyal but the nonstop on UA to IAD is looking more and more appealing.

This type of situation, which is happening more and more lately, as well as the lack of an SFO lounge (completely unacceptable) is giving me pause as to whether AS is right for California flyers.
UA non-stop is going to look even more appealing once AS drops the DAL-DCA flights on October 28th.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jk88usa
SAN security is a mess anytime of day, in any terminal, but T1 during early morning hours (both the AS and WN checkpoints) definitely are some of the worst experiences I've had as far as TSA goes in the country. I don't necessarily fault AS for that part...it's not like they want to be in T1 and neither does WN.
I used to fly AS out of SAN 5-10 years ago. The AS wing was always calmer and less crowded than the WN side, which was always overcrowded and reeked of rancid pizza. I guess things have gotten worse in the early AM hours with all the new flights AS has added. The morning bank used to be one flight to Seattle, one to Portland and a couple flights to Hawaii.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:32 pm

Conversely, I flew out of SAN last night at 5pm. The roadway in front of T1 was a madhouse as always but there were ZERO people in line at the SW check-in line. Literally zero people. I had a ticket issue solved quickly then went to security and there was ONE person in front of us in the security line.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Alaska doesn't run security checkpoints or food concessions. Whine to the TSA and the airport authority. If you want a lounge, there's whatever the AA Admirals' Club became as public (Airspace Lounge), a Delta SkyClub, a United Club, and a USO.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
This was touched on briefly in another thread, but I will say that relief is coming. T2E in 2019.
diver858 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It will hopefully get better, when AS moves terminals
Old May 7, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for posting. I didn’t know AS was moving to T2 in 2019. Great news.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
T1 at SAN is definitely a disaster. But it's really not AS's fault. This is much more an issue with the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority and the local TSA management. Airlines have next to no control over TSA checkpoint wait times. That is generally managed by the airport itself and TSA.

It does seem like AS is trying to improve things at SAN however, so try to cut them some slack. A few months ago I missed my flight from SAN-SEA due to the above mentioned hour long Precheck wait time. When I walked up to the gate 10 minutes after they had closed the door, the gate agents immediately asked me how long my security wait was, if I was precheck, and then apologized to me because I'd missed the flight. Then she wrote those things down on a piece of paper that clearly had 10+ names on it already. It definitely caught me off guard because if I'm missing a flight because I didn't get myself to the airport soon enough, I'm definitely not expecting to be the recipient of the apologies. We chatted a bit and the agent told me that the TSA lines, especially precheck, had been an ongoing source of issues for them and they were logging every passenger who missed a flight due to it so they could use that data to push for improvements.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist

I can confirm a lounge at SFO is in the works and they are considering two different options: the existing AA lounge when they move to T1 in 2020 or a brand new lounge. Perhaps both over time?
Old May 8, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Alaska doesn't run security checkpoints or food concessions. Whine to the TSA and the airport authority. If you want a lounge, there's whatever the AA Admirals' Club became as public (Airspace Lounge), a Delta SkyClub, a United Club, and a USO.
Delta Skyclub and Airspace Lounge are in T2, Only United is in T1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.