Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Southwest to go head to head with AS - OAK/SJC/SAN/SMF-Hawaii!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/n...icehawaii.html

Tough times ahead as AS faces more competitions in CA.

Interesting how they won't fly from SFO/LAX to compete with the big 3 and HA.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Seems like a reasonable strategy. Less overall competition, a stronger position for WN, and more possibilities to undercut fares. Those cities are also unlikely to operate wide bodies to HI so the product differentiation and costs per passenger are not going to be radically different. AS at those airports is also more vulnerable and fare reductions would make their flights a lot less profitable and some may just be dropped. Better to start out against a smaller/weaker competitor rather than going up against multiple large carriers at LAX/SFO.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/n...icehawaii.html

No but they will be going up against HA in intra-island market
Old May 3, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
This was, in fact, Alaska's strategy pre-merger, and it seems to have worked for them so far...

But yeah, things are about to get rough. I'm hoping that it's good for customers/fares, but not so good that it drives AS fully out of any of these markets. But that's standard FlyerTalk thinking: "Everything should happen the way that benefits me most. I want Alaska to make lots of money flying lots of frequencies to Hawaii! ...and I want there to be ample upgrade opportunities on my $99 fares, and empty middle seats on any that don't clear the upgrade!"

All I can think to say is I hope that extra-leg-room/Premium seats, BOB food, and at least a tiny bit of upgrade space is enough to differentiate AS from WN at these airports. It is for me, but I know I'm not representative of the average Hawaii vacationer.
milypan, notquiteaff, zs58 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by CalanMan; May 3, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Seems like a reasonable strategy. Less overall competition, a stronger position for WN, and more possibilities to undercut fares. Those cities are also unlikely to operate wide bodies to HI so the product differentiation and costs per passenger are not going to be radically different. AS at those airports is also more vulnerable and fare reductions would make their flights a lot less profitable and some may just be dropped. Better to start out against a smaller/weaker competitor rather than going up against multiple large carriers at LAX/SFO.
Huh? All 4 of those cities are operated by widebodies on HA, but this isn't about widebodies, this is about knocking out AS and grabbing market share from all.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Huh? All 4 of those cities are operated by widebodies on HA, but this isn't about widebodies, this is about knocking out AS and grabbing market share from all.
But presumably these are the types of routes where HA might sub out an A332 for an A321neo as they start receiving more?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
No but they will be going up against HA in intra-island market
They will be competing with HA in each California city in addition to the intra-island market
Old May 3, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by milypan

But presumably these are the types of routes where HA might sub out an A332 for an A321neo as they start receiving more?
You bet they are, and deliveries are allegedly going to start happening soon, but they won't have enough to drop the 332s and 763s across the board. That's why I also said this isn't about widebodies, but about market share.

And that aside, the HA 321s still have a higher seat count than either WN or AS do.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
No flights out of the fortress airports.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
We'll see how this goes. I don't look forward to the seat game on Southwest on flights like this. Initially the fares will rock the marketplace. In time we'll see how sustainable it will be.

The LAX situation is probably because Southwest does not have the gate space. It will need to drop something else to add Hawai routes. For now they decided against that. Also, every major airline in America serves Hawaii from Los Angeles already.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:06 pm

Why does LAX even matter when comparing this against AS? Doesn't AS have many more flights to Hawaii in total from the 4 WN announced cities than from LAX?

I'm honestly curious, as it seems very smart for WN to be using cities they already have a large presence and gate space in than either LAX or SFO.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Alaska MVP
We'll see how quickly the AS OAK flights disappear. They were basically ATA/Aloha backfill and have done pretty well for being at a very small AS station with the lack of competition. I'll say that the East Bay crowd is much more WN-centric given the choice, though.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
You bet they are, and deliveries are allegedly going to start happening soon, but they won't have enough to drop the 332s and 763s across the board. That's why I also said this isn't about widebodies, but about market share.

And that aside, the HA 321s still have a higher seat count than either WN or AS do.
They already have two. They had planned to have more now but the P&W engine problems are delaying everything.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by ktenorman
We'll see how quickly the AS OAK flights disappear. They were basically ATA/Aloha backfill and have done pretty well for being at a very small AS station with the lack of competition. I'll say that the East Bay crowd is much more WN-centric given the choice, though.
Seems the likely outcome but it'd be a big step in the wrong direction for #mostwestcoast . OAK is the 4th largest airport in the state and the AS presence would be going from small to almost nonexistent. Not really leveraging their significant marketing dollars in the east bay by not offering service at OAK.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
They already have two. They had planned to have more now but the P&W engine problems are delaying everything.
Exactly. I'm well aware of the delivery issues and the recently announced resolution, but I was asking about LAX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.