Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
She stated they have been told to no longer offer PDB. ON TIME departure is the only priority and if there is a delay in departure, they are written up and reprimanded.
I get that AS places high priority on ontime departure, but seems like a lot of delays have nothing to do with boarding process or crew. On flight a few weeks ago, boarded at T -45, jetbridge pulled and cargo door closed around T -10, followed by safety demo. Then we sat at the gate for another 20 minutes without another word from crew. It wasn’t so much the lack of PDB that surprised me, more that there was no announcement as to why we weren’t moving.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6/9/19 PDX-LAX AS3310 9:50 pm departure, no PDB
6/11/19 BOS-LAX AS781 5pm departure, FA came around with sparkling wine & orange juice pre-poured. (the water bottles were also already in the seats on boarding)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
6/6/19 PDX-ORD Offered Coffee or Orange Juice a few minutes after boarding.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Coffee and OJ offered this morning (6/15/19) on AS636.

Didn't ask about booze it's too dang early
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS 680 6/15
Coffee offered, asked to have it with Bailey’s and Crater Lake and my suggestion was acceptable to the FA being trained. My seat opponent changed his coffee order and said I reminded him.

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Didn't ask about booze it's too dang early
Those LOOK like English words, but I cannot for the life of me figure them out.

pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:40 pm

SOoooo, not that anyone asked but I just wanted to throw this out there - One reason I think the FA's are adverse (and this is just my thought...) to offering the prescribed PDB is because they often are asked for something other than what's being offered. I think they just avoid doing any PDB to avoid the awkward conversation about what they're offering and why they "can't" provide what's being asked for.... We can go round and round about whether or not a full bar should be offered and I wouldn't disagree with most of you - I think it's doable and probably should be the offering, still, it's not. Based on what I'm reading here though, it seems like people are barely even being offered what the required PDB service is now. Honestly (and again, it's just me), if someone offered the prescribed PDB I would probably be thrilled. It seems like it's a fairly rare event. I'm not sure how far I would want to push it by asking for something else and, when you do, keep in mind, it's probably just causing them to rethink whether they want to do the thing at all. Yes, I agree, a full bar should be the offering, but it's not AND I think they should just fulfill a random request if able because it's a whole lot easier than wasting time explaining why they can't. It's sad that you should just be happy with the bare minimum because you barely get that but that's where it's at it seems. Just wanted to throw that out there - they're just my thoughts, please go easy on me....
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS
AS Flyer- THANK YOU for giving us your insight and thoughts as to what the current mindset might be among other FA.
This gives most of us some understanding of the current climate in First.
So, To avoid a confrontation, most FA's are avoiding any interaction with passengers prior to take off.
It does fit the complete non involvement with passengers I have been seeing over the last 6 months.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
SEA-PHX 6/14

I was in 4F and fourth to board in the first group 30 minutes before departure. No water at the seat. Catering arrived shortly after I boarded. Still no water. Nothing was offered, no drink orders taken for in-flight. The F FA never stepped behind the galley.

Two passengers boarding towards the end stopped to inquire about getting seated together. F FA was rude and dismissive telling them she could not leave the F cabin. They were told to do it themselves or speak to the FAs in the back. The F FA then stood there looking back as the drama unfolded shaking her head and rolling her eyes. You could feel the tension in the air. She then got on the intercom and announced, "please take your assigned seats! If you want to play musical chairs you can do it when we are in the air."

Once everyone was finally seated, two FAs from the back came up to the galley for a three-way conversation about all the drama as heads continued to shake and eyes continued to roll.

I was shocked how rude and impersonal the FAs were. It wasn't a good start to the flight but it did spell out what to expect for the duration of the flight. They didn't disappoint!

Oh, wait! Sorry! This is the AS forum, isnt it? Apologies, my flight was AA710 and the events are true, even the announcement. The grass isn't always greener....

James
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:09 am

QX 2333 SFO-PDX. OJ or Sparkling wine. Seem to have the best luck with the QX E175s.
JacksonFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS774 SEA-BWI, Sun 16 Jun

between the time I got to the airport ~2025 and leaving the Board Room ~2105, the departure time slid from 2125 to 2144; boarding began ~2110, but since catering didn’t arrive until ~2120 there was nothing even faintly resembling preflight service
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
AS Flyer- THANK YOU for giving us your insight and thoughts as to what the current mindset might be among other FA.
This gives most of us some understanding of the current climate in First.
So, To avoid a confrontation, most FA's are avoiding any interaction with passengers prior to take off.
It does fit the complete non involvement with passengers I have been seeing over the last 6 months.
Sorry, that's ridiculous. If they don't know how to talk to customers (which includes saying no sometimes) then maybe a customer facing job is not for them.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
SEA-PHX 6/14

I was in 4F and fourth to board in the first group 30 minutes before departure. No water at the seat. Catering arrived shortly after I boarded. Still no water. Nothing was offered, no drink orders taken for in-flight. The F FA never stepped behind the galley.

Two passengers boarding towards the end stopped to inquire about getting seated together. F FA was rude and dismissive telling them she could not leave the F cabin. They were told to do it themselves or speak to the FAs in the back. The F FA then stood there looking back as the drama unfolded shaking her head and rolling her eyes. You could feel the tension in the air. She then got on the intercom and announced, "please take your assigned seats! If you want to play musical chairs you can do it when we are in the air."

Once everyone was finally seated, two FAs from the back came up to the galley for a three-way conversation about all the drama as heads continued to shake and eyes continued to roll.

I was shocked how rude and impersonal the FAs were. It wasn't a good start to the flight but it did spell out what to expect for the duration of the flight. They didn't disappoint!

Oh, wait! Sorry! This is the AS forum, isnt it? Apologies, my flight was AA710 and the events are true, even the announcement. The grass isn't always greener....

James
You are comparing to AA? Low bar. They have dropped to the levels of the ULCCs. Spirit, AA, Frontier. That's not just my opinion; those are the bottom 3 airlines in the AQR. At least they beat Frontier, though at this rate I'd bet on them being dead last in 2020.

Valuable miles though. Seriously.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
6/16 AS 425 PHX-SEA no PDBs offered.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
AS Flyer, I think you have brought up very good points in your latest response/inquiry. Thank you for speaking up on this issue. If AS doesn't want to offer full bar for their PDB, they just need to make it clear as a company policy, and implement it with consistency on whatever they would serve. I know other airlines like DL offered full bar, but if AS FAs can't do it, just say so and I imagine most flyers would be fine with it.

For me, I am happy to take whatever PDB it is offered to me, because it is a brief service anyway. Last week I was in F flying HNL to SEA, and I was offered POG or Mimosa as PDB. I was happy to take the POG, and the F FA was attentive with a smile throughout the flight.

Although we can imply the offer of a PDB is a preview of what level of service you received for that flight, I have had flights that the FAs didn't offer any PDB other than bottle water, but the F services were great after we were in air. Again this just shows inconsistent services that this thread has demonstrated throughout.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
6/20 AS 416 SEA to LAX (8:40 AM) - Water at seat. OJ and coffee offered.
6.23 AS 417 LAX to SEA (9:55 AM) - Water given after seated (late catering). OJ and coffee offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.