Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by philemer
This. Water is the new PDB. Get used to it. Anything extra is an outlier.
Well, I must respectfully state this is not really a very nuanced view of the totality of the situation.
CRAZ8 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
6/7/19 ANC-SEA AS84 Just water, no pdb.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
So I did sfo to DAL last week operated by sky west. No offer of anything but the bottled water in seats on the way out. The next day I flew back operated by sky west the gal offered sparkling wine or mimosas. I hadn’t seen one of these offers since January so I actually asked her why is it that sometimes you offer and sometimes not and I asked if it was the crew that made that call or management or how the decision was made? She looked like she was so confused she said “were supposed to always do it in fact we can actually get you anything you want if you ask and we have time”. She legitimately looked like that she had never even heard of a flight not offering this.

later that night I flew also operated by sky west SFO to LAX and no drink offered so I asked again. This flight attendant said they never do that lol so I have no clue sounds like it really is every crew is operating with their own guidelines. I have noticed it does seem to be significantly more common on sky west flights.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS(QX) 2488 SEA-BZN: the lead FA handed out Dasani bottles ~T-10; shortly thereafter, the captain made a PA announcement that we were holding for maintenance to replace a couple of screws in tray tables, and shortly after that the FA took orders for inflight beverages ... then at ~T+7 he offered OJ or sparkling wine

at ~T+9 the mechanic and the inspector showed up

at T+12 I got a notification from AS that departure time was pushed 30 min

the pilots signed off the logbook at T+19 and the GA closed the door at T+21
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
QX 2399 (PDX-SEA) up front in a E75; just put my bag up in the compartment only to turn around to a smiling FA who had an OJ in one hand, sparkling wine in the other and asked which would I like. Served everyone in First the same way, very attentive and very pleasant. Pilot came on and said that they already had been cleared for take off (no flow issues to SEA, and the door was still open). FA took drink orders prior to take off, at the 10K chime, drinks were coming out of the galley to enjoy during the 25 minute flight without having to gulp it down. Landed 10 minutes early. Outstanding service!! Oh....water as well.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
6/10 - AS54 - PDX-EWR - Water bottle handed out and PDB of OJ or coffee offered.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
6/7 - AS1006 - LAX-DCA. Water bottles at seat at boarding. Calm and easy boarding, but no offers of PDBs. Plenty of rounds in the air, though.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
6/10 - AS2565 - GTF-SEA. Water bottles at seat at boarding, no offer of PDB. Taxi to runway, pilot announces 30 min ground hold (SEA flow), FA opens full bar.
6/10 - AS1754 - SEA-SFO. Water bottles at seat at boarding, no offer of PDB, but delayed flight (late inbound) and catering was onboard even after main door was closed, so understandable. Fantastic service once airborne.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
6/10 - AS2565 - GTF-SEA. Water bottles at seat at boarding, no offer of PDB. Taxi to runway, pilot announces 30 min ground hold (SEA flow), FA opens full bar.
6/10 - AS1754 - SEA-SFO. Water bottles at seat at boarding, no offer of PDB, but delayed flight (late inbound) and catering was onboard even after main door was closed, so understandable. Fantastic service once airborne.
Outside of a great Horizon flight this past weekend, this has been my usual experience. Water at the seat, plenty of time (in my mind) where they can serve and seemingly choose not to, but once in the air, the service is excellent. There have been times when catering was late and even the water bottles did not come out until after the door was closed so that is understandable as are the quick turn around at out stations when time is a factor. However, some of those lengthy ground holds at the gate would be prime time for a PDB....but rarely does it happen.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Outside of a great Horizon flight this past weekend, this has been my usual experience. Water at the seat, plenty of time (in my mind) where they can serve and seemingly choose not to, but once in the air, the service is excellent. There have been times when catering was late and even the water bottles did not come out until after the door was closed so that is understandable as are the quick turn around at out stations when time is a factor. However, some of those lengthy ground holds at the gate would be prime time for a PDB....but rarely does it happen.
I agree. It feels like FAs want to deliver good service, but many haven't been trained that PDBs are part of that service!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AS
June 12 SEA/LAX AS 1784 Noon Departure
Water at seat. NO PDB offered.
LAX based crew, doing a turn around.
Chatting later with FA, inquired what her understanding was regarding PDB. (did not ask that directly, wondered if there is a disconnect between training and application)
She stated they have been told to no longer offer PDB. ON TIME departure is the only priority and if there is a delay in departure, they are written up and reprimanded.
She has 29 years as FA, originally from US Airways. Been with AS since 2004. She was AS cross trained for Airbus. and REALLY hates the galley on Airbus. She did say pilots LOVE the Airbus as cockpit is much roomier.
She did not know about a feature on her phone, which I pointed out to her. She is able to see passenger make up on her phone, (Status listed for each seat). I then showed her how she is able to provide Discount Codes during flight. Some items listed...
Good Samaritan , change seat, and my favorite SPILL. She thanked me for showing her that, she had no idea.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't really say that I'm surprised that this is coming from AS.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Chatting later with FA, inquired what her understanding was regarding PDB. (did not ask that directly, wondered if there is a disconnect between training and application)
She stated they have been told to no longer offer PDB. ON TIME departure is the only priority and if there is a delay in departure, they are written up and reprimanded.
She has 29 years as FA, originally from US Airways. Been with AS since 2004. She was AS cross trained for Airbus. and REALLY hates the galley on Airbus. She did say pilots LOVE the Airbus as cockpit is much roomier.
She did not know about a feature on her phone, which I pointed out to her. She is able to see passenger make up on her phone, (Status listed for each seat). I then showed her how she is able to provide Discount Codes during flight. Some items listed...
Good Samaritan , change seat, and my favorite SPILL. She thanked me for showing her that, she had no idea.
WOW....there is a lot to this post, I would have loved to hear the conversation. Throughout this entire thread we have been told by posters whom I assume are either employed by AS or closely aligned with operations, that the policy IS to have PDB, now this has been reversed? Can any "insiders" comment on that? Rarely have I seen the FAs be the reason for a delay in departure unless they could not get someone seated. Usually it is the GA waiting for a connecting plane, mechanical, FAA hold, weather, etc. I can't see the FA being written up for anything beyond their control. Finally, a 15 year veteran AS FA does not know how to use their electronic device? All I see (mainly in first) is the FA constantly looking at passenger make up, even in coach when they are moving the cart down they are looking at that so they can call me by my name, which happens quite a bit. Sounds like this FA needs remedial training.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I'm glad you had a nice conversation, but she should be written up... For her own good, and ours.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:18 pm

she lied

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.