Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Writing up a service failure isn't a matter of chances. It is a matter of reporting a service failure.
I was responding to (and quoting) a post that was talking about inflight management "addressing" the issue. The chances of this actually happening seem pretty low at this point.

I also don't think that reporting a service failure is useful in and of itself. It should be moving towards some goal. If the goal is to prevent future service failures, again, I don't like your chances. If your goal is to amass a large collection of copy-and-pasted responses from customer service, this seems to be a good way to accomplish that goal.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
... sending an email to customer care takes all of 2-3 minutes. The last one netted me a $100 credit for no PDB on a P fare from LAX-SFO ...
in response to an online complaint (with almost the exact phrasing that Eastbay1K suggested above) to Customer Service, DL gave me 8000 miles for an AS-like pre-departure experience on a DCA-JFK CR9 a couple weeks ago — Dasani bottles at seats, FA standing in the galley
Eastbay1K and NoLaGent like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I was responding to (and quoting) a post that was talking about inflight management "addressing" the issue. The chances of this actually happening seem pretty low at this point.

I also don't think that reporting a service failure is useful in and of itself. It should be moving towards some goal. If the goal is to prevent future service failures, again, I don't like your chances. If your goal is to amass a large collection of copy-and-pasted responses from customer service, this seems to be a good way to accomplish that goal.
I disagree. I've written in at least 5 times about this issue, and will continue to do so. Each and every response has been customized to the flight I've reported on, with varying degrees of customer service appreciation for the input.

This isn't about chances, this is about giving data points to management, which is what they require to effect change. As you can see from this thread alone, changes have been made as there are many reports (including mine) of policy being followed.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
To what email address do you send Customer Care feedback regarding Pre Departure Beverage service?

I checked the Alaska Airlines website and I don't see an email address under "Contact Us" I am familiar with contacting Alaska Airlines using AlaskaListens, phone, texting, Direct Messaging via Twitter, and a web feedback form. But I didn't see an email address.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:38 pm

You're correct, it's not an email, but via the Feedback Form, which then gives you a report/file# which they then follow-up via email.

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback/general-comments
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I disagree. I've written in at least 5 times about this issue, and will continue to do so. Each and every response has been customized to the flight I've reported on, with varying degrees of customer service appreciation for the input.

This isn't about chances, this is about giving data points to management, which is what they require to effect change. As you can see from this thread alone, changes have been made as there are many reports (including mine) of policy being followed.
I think there were always cases of policy being followed. It's just inconsistent.

Also, I don't work for the airline. It's not my job to collect data about their service for them. That's their job. This is not a partnership. I'm a customer, paying for a service. They are supposed to provide it.

Again, this is not a new problem. I honestly feel that if AS wanted to get this right they would have done so by now. The problem is not that they don't have data points. They are providing the level of service that they wish to provide.

As far as compensation goes -- I'm sure that the fact that you are often traveling in paid first class is relevant. I complained about this once, when I was upgraded, and I got a response telling me the "official" policy, with no compensation.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:56 pm

I think there were always cases of policy being followed. It's just inconsistent.

Also, I don't work for the airline. It's not my job to collect data about their service for them. That's their job. This is not a partnership. I'm a customer, paying for a service. They are supposed to provide it.

Again, this is not a new problem. I honestly feel that if AS wanted to get this right they would have done so by now. The problem is not that they don't have data points. They are providing the level of service that they wish to provide.

As far as compensation goes -- I'm sure that the fact that you are often traveling in paid first class is relevant. I complained about this once, when I was upgraded, and I got a response telling me the "official" policy, with no compensation.
"They" being the front line FAs, in this case. Providing feedback gives management the ability to either further train, or in justified cases, fire those who can't/won't follow policy.

I too, am not an employee, but a customer who cares about consistency.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"They" being the front line FAs, in this case. Providing feedback gives management the ability to either further train, or in justified cases, fire those who can't/won't follow policy.

I too, am not an employee, but a customer who cares about consistency.
I completely agree. My point is that management has had sufficient opportunity to do this, and it appears that they have chosen not to.

Actually, I have real questions about the level of training that goes on, given a report (I think from you?) that an entire shift of GAs thought that they were supposed to try to sell upgrades before upgrading elites. Different issue, but maybe the same root cause?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
To what email address do you send Customer Care feedback regarding Pre Departure Beverage service?

I checked the Alaska Airlines website and I don't see an email address under "Contact Us" I am familiar with contacting Alaska Airlines using AlaskaListens, phone, texting, Direct Messaging via Twitter, and a web feedback form. But I didn't see an email address.
You can send an email to [email protected]. AS Customer Care is the same department. You will get an automated reply with a case number and replies will be from [email protected]. I find it easier than filling in a box on the form that limits characters.

James in Capetown
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond

“It’s not my job” is a pretty interesting response. When faced with something that bothers me, I can do something or not do something. Even if doing something has a low probability of success in this situation, it’s a lot more likely to effect change than not doing something. The fact that it’s not my job, and someone at AS isn’t doing their’s, isn’t a good reason for me to not do something.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hbtr

“It’s not my job” is a pretty interesting response. When faced with something that bothers me, I can do something or not do something. Even if doing something has a low probability of success in this situation, it’s a lot more likely to effect change than not doing something. The fact that it’s not my job, and someone at AS isn’t doing their’s, isn’t a good reason for me to not do something.
I did something! I stopped paying for F on AS, and then for routes where I didn't want to fly economy, I started buying F on another airline. I think that's a reasonable customer response, and it was immediately effective.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K
OGG-OAK April 17 Flight 814

Sparkling wine or orange juice
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
SEA-MSY last week; nothing at the seat until just before the door closed, then small bottles of water handed out. However, I did notice that the catering may have been delayed as just before that, the service door closed. However, 50 minutes in the air to first drink being delivered. MSY-SEA plenty of time, no PDB. FAs on both flights nice and once going were attentive, but almost an hour before service is pushing it. Yes, I left the usual comment on Alaska Listens. I have come to just be surprised when offered a PDB and have resigned to not expecting it.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
April 16th - SAN to SFO - During boarding, offered juice or sparkling wine (I chose wine)
Then, after PDB but before takeoff, FA took drink order to be served once airborne ^
PaperGlider and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
only water (as usual)
Over 25 minutes sitting in the seat before the door closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.