Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
No PDB other than standard Dasani bottle ORD-SEA last weekend. SEA-ORD was on DL so there was very charming and hospitable service, with full bar PDB (but IFE was not working for half the plane).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Some sort of tropical drink (non alcoholic) SEA-KOA on the evening flight
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:35 pm

SEA to HNL evening flight last Thursday- Offered sparkling wine or juice

HNL to SEA Monday afternoon- offered "Hawaiian Mimosa" or juice

Standard water bottles were also at seats in both cases.

Flight attendants on both flights were great
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
AS 1933 12NOV LAX-SFO (A321)

I mentioned to the FA that I was excited they'd added sparkling wine (along with water/juice) for flights departing after 10am and he said I was absolutely wrong, that the policy had changed again and this had been confirmed to him by his Supervisor the day before. He was clearly having a bad day as he also then rudely added that it was due to the F cabin being filled only by upgraders (I was on a P fare) before he stomped off. Everyone in Row 2 just raised their eyebrows and chuckled at him.

He was very curt for the rest of the flight and I've already given customer care feedback.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold / Hilton Honors Gold
No & Yes

Nothing in F on the SEA to KOA flight or any Hawaiian touches with POG or MaiTai’s like the past. However, just offered PDB on KOA to SAN with juice, champagne or mimosas. Hit or miss!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OAK - OGG (morning): some kind weird of fruity mimosa drink. I don't drink wine (sparkling or otherwise) so I turned it down. No offer of juice or anything non-alcoholic -- it was the mimosa or nothing. I ordered a coffee & double baileys when we got off the ground.
OGG - SFO (evening): nothing. They took food and drink orders before takeoff though, so I got a scotch pretty soon after takeoff, and it was topped up when I was half finished without me asking.

Water at the seats and friendly FAs on both flights. I still think that AS does not really understand the concept of first class, though.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS724 SEA BNA- boarded late, saw PDBs already served, so asked for juice. One virgin screwdriver quickly served up with a smile.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent

I mentioned to the FA that I was excited they'd added sparkling wine (along with water/juice) for flights departing after 10am and he said I was absolutely wrong, that the policy had changed again and this had been confirmed to him by his Supervisor the day before. He was clearly having a bad day as he also then rudely added that it was due to the F cabin being filled only by upgraders (I was on a P fare) before he stomped off. Everyone in Row 2 just raised their eyebrows and chuckled at him.

He was very curt for the rest of the flight and I've already given customer care feedback.
Sounds a lot like the flight attendant I had in F going from SFO-ORD! I'm glad you gave feedback, because AS needs to know that this kind of service is unacceptable. I was also on a P fare and am reluctant to book another paid F ticket on AS at this point.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
sparkling wine on my BWI-SEA last night, declined.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

I am glad that I have never had to experience some of these "off the cuff" attitudes of some FAs; all the FAs I have dealt with have been at the very least professional if not more. Sure, sometimes you can tell when someone is having a bad day but they should never take it out on the customer. In this case I have to wonder why this particular FA thought being an upgrade or paid First made a different in his salary or his performance? Not going to get tipped more? It was not an intelligent retort that he gave. I am glad you reported it, maybe this gentleman needs a refresher in customer service.

I do wish AS would enforce the policy of whether there is a PDB or not; sounds like there is but some FA's decide not to follow it or if there was a reason not to follow it, make it known to the folks in First. Perhaps some of the FAs on this board might comment, but if it is policy, why is it not uniformly applied across the system?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

A friend of mine is a FA w/AS and he mentioned to me that AS did not (and seems still does not) like to offer PDB because it will mess with the on-time departure (WTH)?! He's already grumpy for having to serve sparkling wine. I advised him I've flown AA/DL/UA plenty of times and received full bar service and we still departed on-time. I, unfortunately, did not get a proper response because his husband changed the conversation (seems that PDB are a sore spot among some AS FA's).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I am glad that I have never had to experience some of these "off the cuff" attitudes of some FAs; all the FAs I have dealt with have been at the very least professional if not more. Sure, sometimes you can tell when someone is having a bad day but they should never take it out on the customer. In this case I have to wonder why this particular FA thought being an upgrade or paid First made a different in his salary or his performance? Not going to get tipped more? It was not an intelligent retort that he gave. I am glad you reported it, maybe this gentleman needs a refresher in customer service.

I do wish AS would enforce the policy of whether there is a PDB or not; sounds like there is but some FA's decide not to follow it or if there was a reason not to follow it, make it known to the folks in First. Perhaps some of the FAs on this board might comment, but if it is policy, why is it not uniformly applied across the system?
both ASFlyer and VXCabinCrew have reported that this is indeed policy. Also, specified those PDB to be offered before 10:30 (juice,coffee or water) and after, juice, sparkling wine or water.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll

both ASFlyer and VXCabinCrew have reported that this is indeed policy. Also, specified those PDB to be offered before 10:30 (juice,coffee or water) and after, juice, sparkling wine or water.
But that doesn't match reality.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But that doesn't match reality.
Policy and reality are dependent of compliance. That seems to be the real issue. Noncompliance seems to be masquerading as policy.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by pcoll

Policy and reality are dependent of compliance. That seems to be the real issue. Noncompliance seems to be masquerading as policy.
Not to belabor the point I was making as personally I would enjoy a PDB but it is not the point of decision whether I fly Alaska or not. However, if it is an expectation of service based on AS Policy (whether or not AS likes it or not) than it can be a point of contention of service. Do or do not do it, but it shouldn't be up to me to see if I get "lucky" and get something that should be part of the service. I certainly understand the difference between policy and compliance, but breaking policy usually (in most regulated companies) comes with discipline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.