Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by DUT
AS 184 Seattle to San Diego 5:50am on 11/23/2018

Nothing in first. Nada, zilch, zero... No mini water bottles, no coffe, no OJ or any offer of any bubbles.

Boarding completed 10 min early, flight attendants chatting up front must not have received the service memo.

AS ����
Please write in to customer care w/the details of your flight and request a reply. You can see their response to me and actions taken when I did this last week just a few posts up.

Nothing will change here if Inflight Management isn't made aware of the crews not following the actual policy.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Nov 23, 2018 at 9:43 am Reason: typo.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:27 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
AS 359, JFK to SEA departing at 6:40pm. 6 hour flight.

No beverage offered :-( Flight wasn't late or anything either, we spent plenty of time sitting at the gate before departing.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:08 pm

If the flight is originating at a hub, particularly SEA, there might not be a PDB if the plane hasn’t been catered. At an outstation that’s not a valid excuse.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
24OCT- AS740 LAX-BWI- No PDB
02NOV- AS3316 LAX-SJC- Sparkling wine, OJ, water offered
03NOV- AS3319 SJC-LAX- No PDB
*Date redacted to protect the guilty* - AS1128 LAX-PHL - Full bar PDB, refills offered. Overheard that offering more than the official "Wine, OJ, Water" merits a write up, but in the FA's opinion "Doesn't sound very first class".
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by brettsir
24OCT- AS740 LAX-BWI- No PDB
02NOV- AS3316 LAX-SJC- Sparkling wine, OJ, water offered
03NOV- AS3319 SJC-LAX- No PDB
*Date redacted to protect the guilty* - AS1128 LAX-PHL - Full bar PDB, refills offered. Overheard that offering more than the official "Wine, OJ, Water" merits a write up, but in the FA's opinion "Doesn't sound very first class".
So as we come close to 100 posts on this topic there appears to be no consistency whatsoever for PDB other than the whim of the FAs. I think most of the AS employees have probably abandoned this thread but many posts before, one did mention that PDB is a policy currently, just wonder if there are other factors on whether the service occurs or does not occur.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brettsir
Overheard that offering more than the official "Wine, OJ, Water" merits a write up, but in the FA's opinion "Doesn't sound very first class".
Does less than that warrant a write-up?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
So as we come close to 100 posts on this topic there appears to be no consistency whatsoever for PDB other than the whim of the FAs. I think most of the AS employees have probably abandoned this thread but many posts before, one did mention that PDB is a policy currently, just wonder if there are other factors on whether the service occurs or does not occur.
It is policy and the only way to see that it starts getting enforced consistently is to write in to Customer Care when it doesn't.

Certainly there are factors that come into play (late inbound aircraft, catering errors, etc.), but policy is policy, and I'm happy with the compensation I've received as a result of rogue attendants ignoring it completely (or lying to my face about it), but more importantly, Inflight Management being made aware of these incidents so that it can be implemented properly.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Policy doesn't matter if your flight isn't being audited and IROPS regularly keep the service from being done. If anyone complains, "late catering" can be blamed and that's regular enough that it's plausible. The only factors that really matter is how much a FA believes in providing a premium service and to a lesser extent, how they were trained. L-VX FAs were trained to always offer a full bar service for PDB, L-AS it was a limited service on select routes. Either way, if there is a FA that doesn't see going the extra effort as meaningful, expect the bare minimum, if that. If you have a FA that believes in providing great service and leaving guests with a positive impression of their flight, then a full PDB is more likely. There are examples on both the L-VX and L-AS sides, it's really just a crapshoot from flight to flight.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Does less than that warrant a write-up?
Probably, but with regular IROPS, not doing the service because ________ is a valid excuse.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
No 26 SEA-IAH Noon departure. No PDB what-so-ever. I did overhear FC FA saying they weren't catered even after the door closed. Can't do much about that. Good service otherwise.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
12/2 922. Sea-bwi FAs spent the extra hour we had on the ground chatting with non revs and ignoring pax - no PDB no coat pick up - very SOE

canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by lalala
12/2 922. Sea-bwi FAs spent the extra hour we had on the ground chatting with non revs and ignoring pax - no PDB no coat pick up - very SOE

Unacceptable and against policy. Write it up and send to Customer Care on the website and request a response (there's a box to check).

I'm making it a point now to ask, and if denied, they're getting written up. Customer Care requested the feedback from me on the first incident I had with this so that Inflight Management can be made aware. It's happened to me 3X now, and I've been compensated in every case.

I'm guessing that maybe by 2020 there's consistency with this policy, at least that's my personal goal. ;-)
DrAlex likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
AS 980 (SEA - OAK) on 11/30.

A total unicorn of a flight in every possible way. No one on the upgrade waitlist at boarding (everyone cleared). Practically empty in the main cabin. Departed about 30 minutes late, and still landed on time. Luggage came out by the time we walked the short distance to the OAK baggage carousel. I've taken this particular flight dozens of times, and never seen anything like it.

Full drinks service provided pre-departure for the F cabin. Our FA Ken took great care of us.
Eastbay1K, NoLaGent and pbelmore like this.

Last edited by LWkitty; Dec 2, 2018 at 1:28 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:26 am

KTN Known Traveller Number Ketichkan.
PDB Pre Denied Boarding or Beverage
SOE Sorry Old Employee
Salmon Creek Cheap fortified Omega 3 sparkling wine
IAH I am Hangry
SEATAC Seasoned Embraer Airbus (crew) Testy Alcohol Coinneseur
Isn't it too Ironic? Alanis Morrisett
​​​See the pattern lol?

In all seriousness why can't Alaska serve a good sparkling wine from Wein's or a Pacific Northwest vineyard? Why go cheapo on the Bronco crap? I detest Bronco. Look to the Santa Cruz Mointains AVA Ridge Cellars, Savanah Chanelle, Munns Cooper Garrod, , Burrell School, Left Bank etc.

Last edited by danielonn; Dec 3, 2018 at 3:48 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by LWkitty
AS 980 (SEA - OAK) on 11/30.

A total unicorn of a flight in every possible way. No one on the upgrade waitlist at boarding (everyone cleared). Practically empty in the main cabin. Departed about 30 minutes late, and still landed on time. Luggage came out by the time we walked the short distance to the OAK baggage carousel. I've taken this particular flight dozens of times, and never seen anything like it.

Full drinks service provided pre-departure for the F cabin. Our FA Ken took great care of us.
I've been really impressed with my OAK flights to date. PDB, nice plating of the protein plate and on my flight, 14/16 of the seats were taken at the last minute from folks on the F WL - it was way longer than 14, but still.

The On Time departure of the 6 am OAK flight leaves a lot to be desired. I've been delayed 3 hours and 2 hours on both my flights in the last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.