Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Old Nov 14, 18, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
OGG-LAX 11/8: POG mimosa or sparkling wine.
LAX-SEA 11/9: Water
PDX-OGG 11/11: POG mimosa or sparkling wine
Old Nov 14, 18, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Looks like I'm going 1 for 6 in the past 2 weeks. One flight was early (but HNL when they always used to have the POG mimosas) the others, no excuse, as I currently sit on an LAX SFO that was already boarding B when I arrived at the gate at T-40.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL 3 Million Miler/Diamond; ex-UA 1K Premier
B.S. They staff 2 flight attendants in the forward galley and they stand there for a majority of the 40 minute boarding chatting. It has nothing to do with on-time. It's a combination of savings for the airline & AFA. Tell him to fly Delta where often times you're boarding 20 min before actual D0 and they're still serving, even with a FC cabin of 20 people.

Originally Posted by ASMan View Post
A friend of mine is a FA w/AS and he mentioned to me that AS did not (and seems still does not) like to offer PDB because it will mess with the on-time departure (WTH)?! He's already grumpy for having to serve sparkling wine. I advised him I've flown AA/DL/UA plenty of times and received full bar service and we still departed on-time. I, unfortunately, did not get a proper response because his husband changed the conversation (seems that PDB are a sore spot among some AS FA's).
jjmadison likes this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP
AS 1043. LAX/SEA. 4:40pm
FA in F , Michael, provided what I would describe as flawless service. Passengers in row 1 asked for mixed cocktails for PDB and he replied, "my pleasure". Everyone provided 1-2 before takeoff. Dinner service was great. It was like watching a ballet. He cleared, refilled glasses , passed out warm nuts..etc while being unobtrusive.
On a sad note, I overheard him talking with cockpit crew before takeoff....this was his last flight. I asked if this was true and sure enough, yes. His last flight with AS. He has been with VX (AS) for 9 years. (SFO based crew). He was taking a month off then starting with DELTA.
Mentioned he would love to see us sometime on DL. Loss for AS.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
AS 1043. LAX/SEA. 4:40pm
FA in F , Michael, provided what I would describe as flawless service. Passengers in row 1 asked for mixed cocktails for PDB and he replied, "my pleasure". Everyone provided 1-2 before takeoff. Dinner service was great. It was like watching a ballet. He cleared, refilled glasses , passed out warm nuts..etc while being unobtrusive.
On a sad note, I overheard him talking with cockpit crew before takeoff....this was his last flight. I asked if this was true and sure enough, yes. His last flight with AS. He has been with VX (AS) for 9 years. (SFO based crew). He was taking a month off then starting with DELTA.
Mentioned he would love to see us sometime on DL. Loss for AS.
Would the F service have been flawless if the mixed cocktails had not been provided? It is probsbly best that he moves on if he isn't prepared to follow the policy of his new employer. But wait! Whose decision was it that he will be leaving AS? Is it possible he would love to see you on Delta because AS isn't in love with him representing them?

Two sides to every story. Food for thought!

James
Old Nov 14, 18, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Would the F service have been flawless if the mixed cocktails had not been provided? It is probsbly best that he moves on if he isn't prepared to follow the policy of his new employer. But wait! Whose decision was it that he will be leaving AS? Is it possible he would love to see you on Delta because AS isn't in love with him representing them?

James
Well, I'd rather have someone going above and beyond than someone who looks pretty and can't be bothered to even meet the minimum service standard. Tonight, LAX/SFO - no PDB offering of bubbles or juice. Just water at the seat. Then, one beverage offering. No snack basket offered at all - she went back to help with Y. Then, after descent started, she asked if I wanted a wine refill. When I replied "yes," she asked if I wanted a full glass.

Did I mention that my VX seat wasn't functioning properly? Irrelevant for the PDB thread. Did I mention that the old miserable bat sitting next to me wondered when I didn't move my feet back when she asked when returning from the lav? I took my headphones off to ask her to repeat herself after she kicked my feet (row 1), when I then replied that they were as far back as they could go due to the leg rest (that was only out a couple of inches). Again, irrelevant, not a PDB issue.

Really an unpleasant 90-ish minutes, which ended with 20 minutes of post-landing ground time. Again, not a PDB issue.
Old Nov 15, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Platinum, National Executive
DTW-SEA yesterday, no PDB sparkling was offered. FA's indeed spent the entire boarding process chatting. They did a good job with drinks and meal service on the first 2 1/2 hours of a difficult and turbulent flight. After that it was pulling teeth to get a refill while 2 FA's sat and socialized in the galley area. Frustratingly common experience any more.
Old Nov 15, 18, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

James
I would prefer to look at glass half full. (no PDB pun here)
It was also the small ,subtle things throughout flight. For example, delivering PDB, I asked about dinner choices. "let me quickly check and let you know". Came right back ,gave us info and asked what we preferred. As Row 2, usually no choices are left on pmVX flights.
FA could have easily done bare minimum and not worried about blowback. He already had his new job. I think it shows the character of the person, wanting to do his very best up to the end.
Old Nov 15, 18, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
wanting to do his very best
This is clearly a violation of AS policy.

Kidding! I've always had great FAs on AS. I'm really surprised by all these reports of rudeness. I've encountered that with other airlines (UA) but never on AS.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Nov 16, 18, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, SPG LT Gold, HH Diamond
No attempt at PDB on this morning’s 720am SEA-PHL. Good service absent that, though.
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:55 am

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by NoLaGent View Post
AS 1933 12NOV LAX-SFO (A321)

I mentioned to the FA that I was excited they'd added sparkling wine (along with water/juice) for flights departing after 10am and he said I was absolutely wrong, that the policy had changed again and this had been confirmed to him by his Supervisor the day before. He was clearly having a bad day as he also then rudely added that it was due to the F cabin being filled only by upgraders (I was on a P fare) before he stomped off. Everyone in Row 2 just raised their eyebrows and chuckled at him.

He was very curt for the rest of the flight and I've already given customer care feedback.
Follow-up: An incredibly thorough response was received from Customer Care yesterday:

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent flight experience from Los Angeles to San Francisco on 11/12/2018. It's our goal to make sure every trip you have on Alaska goes smoothly. The best way for us to do that is hearing from you.

Alaska strives to provide exceptional service to our customers. From what you have shared, it is apparent that we did not meet that expectation with our First Class flight attendant <name redacted>. I am very sorry he was so curt with you and <my Partner's name> making for an uncomfortable flight. You should expect nothing less than being treated with the utmost respect, compassion and care. I truly wish he would have acted in a more professional manner as you have come to expect when flying with Alaska.

I can confirm <name redacted> was incorrect and we do serve Sparkling wine along with coffee, juice and water after 10am for a pre-departure drink. I would also like to point out this change was made to provide consistency with our Airbus and Boeing aircraft service. This policy change had nothing to do with upgrading passengers to First Class which is also incorrect information. I can assure you that I have shared your concerns with our Inflight Management so we can continue to improve and take better care of you next time.

The rest of the email contained information on how to utilize the $200 (2x$100) Discount Codes that were issued as a customer service gesture.

A huge kudos to AS Customer Care for handling this so professionally, very well done.
JacksonFlyer likes this.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Nov 18, 18 at 9:13 am
Old Nov 18, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPGold, Delta Gold
11/10 SEA-IND: sparkling wine!
11/16 IND-SEA: Dasani and gossiping in the galley
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:42 pm

Programs: BonVoy Au, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
BNA-SEA: bottled water handed out after boarding, no other PDB offered. First FA was excellent through out the flight and truly took delivering quality service personally so hard to hold this against her.
Old Nov 22, 18, 2:38 pm

SFO-AUS. Easiest upgrade ever (cabin is half empty, and it's an airbus)

Super friendly former VX FA. Recognized me from my bi-weekly SFO-LAS trips 2+ years ago. No PDB offered other than water. I did request a coffee (she had just brewed some) and she gave it to me.
Old Nov 23, 18, 6:44 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
AS 184 Seattle to San Diego 5:50am on 11/23/2018

Nothing in first. Nada, zilch, zero... No mini water bottles, no coffe, no OJ or any offer of any bubbles.

Boarding completed 10 min early, flight attendants chatting up front must not have received the service memo.

AS 👎👎

Search this Thread
Search Engine: