Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Offers of a Pre-Departure Beverage (PDB) [2019 and Earlier]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
BOWO (Bottle Of Water Only)
DOBTO (Drink Order Before Take Off)
NHT (No Hot Towel)

SOS Different Day
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by beckoa
5/30/19 SEA-RDU AS707 just water, no pdb.
I was supposed to be on the return leg of that flight! Presumably it would have been different crew but likely same result. I had to fly to upstate NY instead. My return flights from SYR both had full PDB service--in DL paid F.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
5/20/19 - PDX-EWR AS54 - Water at seat + offer of orange juice, mimosa, or coffee
5/23/19 - EWR-PDX AS53 - Water at seat - No offer of other PDB
6/3/2019 - PDX-EWR AS54 - Water at seat - No offer of other PDB
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I agree with you on the inconsistency of the AS service but have had different experiences with what you brought up:

5/27 SEA-PDX: nothing at seat, no service. Horizon. Overhead lead f/a state to passenger in row ahead she had no idea how she was going to provide in-flight full drink service in first, that it was crazy they want her to do it on such a short flight. Well she was able to do it, easily.

Unless this was a E-175, Horizon flies only Q400 on the shuttle and there is no first class. I have been on the E-175 in first for positioning flights and unless there is the all too quoted "turbulence", I have gotten a drink.

5/27 PDX-TUS: water at seat, offer of champagne or coffee. SkyWest, of course. The only airline in the AS system that is consistent. Says something.

When I flew PDX-SBA on Skywest, service was all over the place; even getting my meal in first class being served on descent 1 hour 45 minutes into flight and I was in 3A. Service improved tremendously when Horizon took over in my experience.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Sitting here for twenty-some minutes with no boarding drama on a JFK transcon and a PDB seems like an impossible feat.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
6/3 SFO-IAD no PDB. Boarded early, and we’re now an hour in with a mechanical delay. FA was polite but has only had an interest in her phone since.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
6/4 AS 349 JFK-SEA

Water bottles at seat, coffee and tea offered PDB
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:15 pm

It was a QX E75 SEA-PDX.

My experience with OO is quite different than yours when flying an AS ticket. I will add that I fly a ton on DL and less on UA which include OO operated flights and they are hands down the most consistent, best performer for a regional airline when it comes to adhering to mainline service standards, in my experience.

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I agree with you on the inconsistency of the AS service but have had different experiences with what you brought up:

5/27 SEA-PDX: nothing at seat, no service. Horizon. Overhead lead f/a state to passenger in row ahead she had no idea how she was going to provide in-flight full drink service in first, that it was crazy they want her to do it on such a short flight. Well she was able to do it, easily.

Unless this was a E-175, Horizon flies only Q400 on the shuttle and there is no first class. I have been on the E-175 in first for positioning flights and unless there is the all too quoted "turbulence", I have gotten a drink.

5/27 PDX-TUS: water at seat, offer of champagne or coffee. SkyWest, of course. The only airline in the AS system that is consistent. Says something.

When I flew PDX-SBA on Skywest, service was all over the place; even getting my meal in first class being served on descent 1 hour 45 minutes into flight and I was in 3A. Service improved tremendously when Horizon took over in my experience.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
AS 933
LAX-SFO

Water at seat, no PDB, door closed 5 minutes early. You’d think on a short flight, ‘hey let’s knock out a quick beverage service on the ground’. Nope.

Just got off a AA E75 that arrived at our scheduled departure, we were still able to do an open bar PDB and closed the door within 10 minutes... 🙄
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:46 pm

There's a clear "Don't give a ...." mentality with F/A's and/or Alaska Management as it applies to their front cabin service. That's certainly the response I got from my F/A on SFO-SEA last week when I asked what gives...

Originally Posted by safari ari
AS 933
LAX-SFO

Water at seat, no PDB, door closed 5 minutes early. You’d think on a short flight, ‘hey let’s knock out a quick beverage service on the ground’. Nope.

Just got off a AA E75 that arrived at our scheduled departure, we were still able to do an open bar PDB and closed the door within 10 minutes... 🙄
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I give up on reporting on this subject. I give up reporting here on FlyerTalk as well as filling out the clumsy Alaska Listens about this.

There is abundant evidence that a pre-departure beverage other than water is not part of standard service a customer should expect whenever choosing Alaska.

I am moving on to threads of greater value such as threads about E pluses and E minuses.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
AS 110
SFO-JFK
23:10 6/5/2019

water at seat, offer of OJ, coffee or sparkling wine. Requests of all else were held off until in air.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:03 pm

That is supposed to be the standard as sent out by inflight.

Originally Posted by safari ari
AS 110
SFO-JFK
23:10 6/5/2019

water at seat, offer of OJ, coffee or sparkling wine. Requests of all else were held off until in air.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by n7371f
That is supposed to be the standard as sent out by inflight.
actually on flights before 10am it's coffee, OJ and the water bottles. After 10am it's OJ, sparkling wine and the water bottles. No coffee before 10am - but if you're making it anyway I can't see the harm in offering it.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I give up on reporting on this subject. I give up reporting here on FlyerTalk as well as filling out the clumsy Alaska Listens about this.

There is abundant evidence that a pre-departure beverage other than water is not part of standard service a customer should expect whenever choosing Alaska.

I am moving on to threads of greater value such as threads about E pluses and E minuses.
This. Water is the new PDB. Get used to it. Anything extra is an outlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.