Wiki Posts
Search

I might be done with Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ou81two
It depends on how you fly. I fly for work though domestic nobody is buying first. Alaska's first class fares are often 3-4x the coach fare. Usually I can book Delta or American and call in and pay the difference between coach and business and fly up front.
So true. Last year I bought SEA-SFO in UA F because the price was only +$75 over Y. If the choice is UA F vs. rolling the dice at checkin for a $50 buyup on AS then I will go with the sure thing every time.

I too have called the airline for a buyup to F on corporate tickets booked in Y. Well worth the price for a midcon.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:41 am

what is the problem with this?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I am done with Alaska at this point. They way they are scheduling things, or the price they're asking, out of SFO simply doesn't work for my business travel. And I'm talking places like NY, DC, Chicago, and Denver. I've been forced by schedule, or corporate pricing policy (can go $200 over least reasonable fare), to fly other airlines... Mostly United.

At this point I expect a long slow decline for AS in the bay area while they run a PNW focused airline. It's depressing.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Skyjumper
I am done with Alaska at this point. They way they are scheduling things, or the price they're asking, out of SFO simply doesn't work for my business travel. And I'm talking places like NY, DC, Chicago, and Denver. I've been forced by schedule, or corporate pricing policy (can go $200 over least reasonable fare), to fly other airlines... Mostly United.

At this point I expect a long slow decline for AS in the bay area while they run a PNW focused airline. It's depressing.
So, you’re comparing against four metro regions where UA has a hub on the other end, and shockingly UA has better service for a business traveler! Who knew?
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Skyjumper
... I've been forced by schedule, or corporate pricing policy (can go $200 over least reasonable fare), to fly other airlines...
consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky ... my corporate travel policy only has $25 margin above Lowest Logical Fare, and even then AS isn’t a preferred airline
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, you’re comparing against four metro regions where UA has a hub on the other end, and shockingly UA has better service for a business traveler! Who knew?
Well I live in SF. Back before AS took over VX I was able to fly VX most of the time. Now with the schedule changes and higher prices from AS I can’t seem to. I’ve had 28 trips this yeah and AS was only a viable option once due to a poor schedule or costing $200+ more than other airlines. I’d like to fly AS but They’re making it so difficult for those in SF.
Boraxo and jjmadison like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jrl767

consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky ... my corporate travel policy only has $25 margin above Lowest Logical Fare, and even then AS isn’t a preferred airline
That I know!!! My company has a pretty reasonable corporate travel policy.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:27 am

Speaking of corporate travel, our policy is coach anywhere. So I book coach with corporate, and then I will then pay out of pocket to upgrade to Delta Comfort, Economy Plus, etc.

Well, AS is the only airline that won't allow me to pay to upgrade my seat on the corporate booking for some reason. AS says this is the fault of my corporate travel agency. My corporate travel says it's AS' fault. They may both be right or both wrong to an extent. All I know is I don't have this issue with any other airline. Another reason why I might have no choice but to avoid AS.

I've been critical of AS for a while now, but I really do want them to remain viable. A thriving AS benefits consumers in SEA (where I'm based), as it would keep DL and others in check. But their prices and MP have been getting harder to work with, and there's nothing about their service that stands out. Yet I still hear some folks in SEA express loyalty to AS for whatever reason, calling them the "hometown airline." I'm sorry, no big airline deserves blind love just for being the hometown carrier.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
AS is a big airline? Last I heard they are 1/5 the size of DL in terms of revenue. The unfortunate thing is the upper management now thought they are one of THE big airlines now, so they are going to change their business model to match what the big 3 have, and hope to squeeze their hometown loyal customers (and newly acquired customer bases in The Bay Area and LA) with the new model, and get away with more ancillary revenue.

May be this is the only way they could survive now that they are trying to play in the big sand box, but what do I know, I just fly a lot but not running an airline.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767

Just change companies. If the company is running margins that slim it's not worth your time to be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.