Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using AS Gogo Pass on legacy VX aircrafts?

Old Apr 29, 18, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC

Is this, or will this be made possible?

I couldn't use it this weekend on legacy VX flights.
Old Apr 29, 18, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ti
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post

Are you sure you were on a Gogo-equipped aircraft? (Where the wifi network is named "gogoinflight".) I have been using my pass on both carriers for months now without issue.

However the Gogo pass isn't, and will never be, valid on ViaSat-equipped aircraft (Where the wifi network is named "virgin america".) Those planes should be re-equipped with Alaska's Gogo 2ku satellite solution in the next 12-18 months, and will then be usable with the pass.

I have found the last comment on this thread to still be a fairly reliable way to guess which equipment you'll have: How do I Figure Out Which Wifi is on a Flight and the Pricing?
Old Apr 29, 18, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CalanMan View Post
Are you sure you were on a Gogo-equipped aircraft? (Where the wifi network is named "gogoinflight".) I have been using my pass on both carriers for months now without issue.

However the Gogo pass isn't, and will never be, valid on ViaSat-equipped aircraft (Where the wifi network is named "virgin america".) Those planes should be re-equipped with Alaska's Gogo 2ku satellite solution in the next 12-18 months, and will then be usable with the pass.

I have found the last comment on this thread to still be a fairly reliable way to guess which equipment you'll have: How do I Figure Out Which Wifi is on a Flight and the Pricing?
It was definitely gogo, and not viasat.

The pass was purchased in advance on Alaska, $3 cheaper than from the Gogo site ($16 all day pass vs. $19)
Old Apr 29, 18, 6:45 pm

It was definitely gogo, and not viasat.

The pass was purchased in advance on Alaska, $3 cheaper than from the Gogo site ($16 all day pass vs. $19)
Hmm, I'm not sure then. Since I have a monthly pass (which is what works for me on both AS and VX), I haven't bought a single-use or all-day pass in a while. Hopefully someone else on here can help.
Old Apr 29, 18, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, I'm not sure then. Since I have a monthly pass (which is what works for me on both AS and VX), I haven't bought a single-use or all-day pass in a while. Hopefully someone else on here can help.
Thanks for your help ^
CalanMan likes this.
Old Apr 29, 18, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
If you have a Gogo monthly pass, you can use it on Viasat aircraft (at least as of late last year). When you're on a Viasat-equipped aircraft, just start a live support chat from the login page and let the agent know you're a Gogo monthly member and give them the email address associated with your account. They'll give you a promo code for free access.
Old Apr 29, 18, 8:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K | Delta Diamond | Hilton Diamond

Worked for me today, but under the following conditions (not sure if starting pass on AS flight is what let it work).

1) Bought in advance ($19 day pass)
2) Redeemed on AS flight from SEA-LAX
3) When I went to log in on legacy VX metal flight from LAX-MCO with gogo, it immediately game me option to redeem same pass. (So much faster than any AS flight I’ve ever had in past few years - was watching YouTube and Facebook videos with no issue).

Note: On step 3, I initially closed out of that redeem pass window thinking it may have been an extra pass and wanted to confirm I didn’t have multiples. From any other screen/page on the site, the “redeem pass” window wouldn’t work right (it would pop up the box but wouldn’t display the actual passes to redeem). Fumbled around a bit, eventually signing out and in again, immediately selecting pass to redeem and presto.

Old Apr 29, 18, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Ziron View Post

Worked for me today, but under the following conditions (not sure if starting pass on AS flight is what let it work).

1) Bought in advance ($19 day pass)
2) Redeemed on AS flight from SEA-LAX
3) When I went to log in on legacy VX metal flight from LAX-MCO with gogo, it immediately game me option to redeem same pass. (So much faster than any AS flight I’ve ever had in past few years - was watching YouTube and Facebook videos with no issue).

Note: On step 3, I initially closed out of that redeem pass window thinking it may have been an extra pass and wanted to confirm I didn’t have multiples. From any other screen/page on the site, the “redeem pass” window wouldn’t work right (it would pop up the box but wouldn’t display the actual passes to redeem). Fumbled around a bit, eventually signing out and in again, immediately selecting pass to redeem and presto.

I've been able to use gogo passes on both AS and VX on the same day.
Old Apr 30, 18, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by sutrosam View Post
If you have a Gogo monthly pass, you can use it on Viasat aircraft (at least as of late last year). When you're on a Viasat-equipped aircraft, just start a live support chat from the login page and let the agent know you're a Gogo monthly member and give them the email address associated with your account. They'll give you a promo code for free access.
Alas, no more. From a Feb 3, 2018 chat attempting to do just that:
We are no longer able to provide Viasat codes. Alaska and Virgin America are moving to an all-Gogo fleet over the next 18 months, which means your Gogo subscription will be valid on all Virgin America aircraft by then. We’re sorry for the temporary inconvenience this may cause, however, an improved Wi-Fi experience is coming soon.
Although... now that I'm re-reading both your advice and my chat transcript, I realize that perhaps I need to be asking a ViaSat rep for the exception, not a Gogo one. I'll try that next time and see if it makes any difference.
Old Apr 30, 18, 6:21 am

Programs: Alaska LTG-75K, HHonors-Gld, Priority Spire, LT MR Ti
Can't wait for new GoGo Sat. Looks like as of right now 1/241 planes are equipped.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rtainment/wifi
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Emerald Club Excutive
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Can't wait for new GoGo Sat. Looks like as of right now 1/241 planes are equipped.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rtainment/wifi
So tired of GoGo (aka NoGo) equivalent of dial-up service! Only 1 plane has the new improved service? Wow, wish AS would find a better provider.
Old Apr 30, 18, 9:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So tired of GoGo (aka NoGo) equivalent of dial-up service! Only 1 plane has the new improved service? Wow, wish AS would find a better provider.
While I too, am tired of the slow wifi product that has been Gogo's offering since launch, there's not a whole lot of in-flight wifi providers out there, and switching isn't as simple as swapping your ISP at home. This comes w/ a huge investment in fleet-wide infrastructure, so once an airline picks who they're going to use, they're probably gonna stick with them for awhile. Very much look forward to trying out the new Gogo 2ku product, though. It'll be nice to get out of the 90s dial-up speeds from the air.
Old Apr 30, 18, 10:45 am

Alas, no more. From a Feb 3, 2018 chat attempting to do just that:

Although... now that I'm re-reading both your advice and my chat transcript, I realize that perhaps I need to be asking a ViaSat rep for the exception, not a Gogo one. I'll try that next time and see if it makes any difference.
Yep, I've always received one from a Viasat rep via chat while I'm on board, although I wouldn't be surprised if Viasat discontinued issuing access codes since Alaska has chosen to go in a different direction for the unified fleet. I cancelled my Gogo monthly pass since my flying doesn't pick up until later this year, so my info is a bit dated. I also seem to have terrible luck when it comes to getting a Viasat plane vs. Gogo ATG :-/
CalanMan likes this.
Old Apr 30, 18, 3:05 pm

Is AS switching to Viasat? Or is Viasat just the new provider Gogo is switching to?
Old Apr 30, 18, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jimikim View Post
Is AS switching to Viasat? Or is Viasat just the new provider Gogo is switching to?
Gogo and Viasat are competitors in the inflight internet space. VX selected Viasat for aircraft that were delivered in 2015 and 2016—basically the sharklet-fitted birds except for N361VA (Jersey Girl). There are around 10 aircraft in the fleet with it.

Shortly after the merger was announced, Alaska kicked off an RFP for a new inflight internet system and eventually decided to go with Gogo's 2Ku satellite system over Viasat. All aircraft in both the Boeing and Airbus fleets will get the new Gogo system eventually, but it's not going to be a fast process as the install is a bit more complicated than the old Gogo ATG system.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: