Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Gogo Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Available (November, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gogo Satellite-Based Wi-Fi Available (November, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
I’ve been on flights in which the GOGo was down and they state you can still use the Alaska inflight entertainment on your device.

I’ve not been able to successfully navigate and get acccess. I see that the WiFi is connected on my iPad but then I get a message when attempting to access the movie library that currently there is no connection (or something to this effect). What have I been missing?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:25 pm

Satellite internet was installed (along with Brad Tilsen) on my DCA-SEA flight (AS #3 ) flight on December 6. Quality was good enough to stream live NFL and a movie on Hulu.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:12 pm

On another 2Ku flight tonight (N926VA):
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Xrayman
I’ve been on flights in which the GOGo was down and they state you can still use the Alaska inflight entertainment on your device.

I’ve not been able to successfully navigate and get acccess. I see that the WiFi is connected on my iPad but then I get a message when attempting to access the movie library that currently there is no connection (or something to this effect). What have I been missing?
I'm curious to know as well. Had the same experience you did on a recent flight with Gogo=Nogo. The WiFi network would show up and I could surf the movie titles, but couldn't get any to play...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Took the first revenue flight on N296AK yesterday, it has the 2Ku satellite connectivity. The conversion can't happen soon enough!
I agree, can’t happen fast enough.

On flight yesterday #175 and the GoGo WiFi couldn’t even open up emails for 1/2 the flight. I have the monthly subscription that is automatically billed on what ever day of the month in which you initially signed up. If I can’t do simple work reliably (basic emails and reply’s) I might as well just cancel.

How do i cancel and find our what the last day of my month payment cycle ? Don’t want to cancel a whole month if I was billed yesterday for the month.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Xrayman
How do i cancel and find our what the last day of my month payment cycle ? Don’t want to cancel a whole month if I was billed yesterday for the month.
Log in to your Gogo account https://www.gogoair.com It should show the billing and subscription details there for you.
Xrayman likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:57 pm

Thanks for the guidance. Have a flight this Monday. If it still persists I’m done with it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:04 am

I'm on an Airbus still equipped with ViaSat (N363VA). The internet on this plane is perfectly functional... once you click through the safety warning in your browser.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Is there a tracking thread for this that is more robust? I'd like to get sense of how the retrofit is progressing in 2019.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
Is there a tracking thread for this that is more robust? I'd like to get sense of how the retrofit is progressing in 2019.
Currently at 10/231, according to https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/
BallardFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Even better would be a "does your flight have ViaSat?" web page!
It would be nice if Alaska could send you an email prior to your flight to tell you if you have the new ViaSat. I have gotten an email that told me that my aircraft was too new to have any internet service yet (pre ViaSat install), so they certainly have the capability to do that!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
On N278AK today with GoGo satellite service. Speed test showing 19mb down 61ms latency.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
In the last two weeks I have had two flights with Satellite on board where the internet wasn't working. On the first flight, I was able to access and purchase the internet on the ground, but it did not work in the air. Gogo refunded me after I landed without issue. Might be coincidental, but hope to see more reliability in the product.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Most recent trip down to Vegas I was pulling an astounding 100*20 connection according to the speedtest. Repeated it 3 times for validation. That is damn impressive on an aircraft.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:00 am

Today I'm flying on an A321 that just left GSO 5 days ago. Seat map shows the plane was reconfigured with the new interior while in GSO; I had presumed that this also meant a 2Ku retrofit, but apparently not. Alaska just sent me the following email:

Heads up: Some entertainment options are down.

We apologize, the inflight Wi-Fi won't be available on your flight today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.