Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2 flights in a row without Precheck, despite Global Entry # in profile

2 flights in a row without Precheck, despite Global Entry # in profile

Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
You are referring to TSA Pre cards, I presume? Because I just renewed my Global Entry last month and got a new card (with the same awful photo that was on the last one.)
Good to hear- funny re: photo.

Got lucky as I happened to have my GE card last month when flying thru YVR- at least leaving the country I skipped quite the security queue ^
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
Because I just renewed my Global Entry last month and got a new card (with the same awful photo that was on the last one.)
Ditto when I renewed mine a few months ago.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sorry for my error in info. it was the OG members that did not get cards and since all of those have renewed I believe cards would have been automatically sent.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
That of course was my first thought but I don't keep my GE card in my wallet. I keep it with my passport [the only time I have ever needed it was when coming back on the road from Canada in the NEXUS lane. Turns out you MUST have the card, not just your passport and GE subscription]. I thought about maybe bringing it along but 1) it is yet one more card I have to fatten my wallet with and 2) one more thing to worry about getting stolen when I don't need it routinely. So I just emailed the KTN# to myself so I could search it again in the future.

Of course the app could try to be smart by populating the KTN field from your profile when you [re-]check-in, but that would be too helpful.
Writing on a cool, gray fall morning in Vancouver. Man, that NEXUS card probably saved me 45 minutes or more last night. It always stays in the wallet...cuz you just never know. If the wallet is too fat, maybe consider reducing the size of that big wad of cash
Chiming in on the main topic, I'm at 100% Precheck when traveling in USA. Only time I have a problem is when I book on one carrier and opening segment is on another, such as (on most recent adventure), AA ticket with opening segment on QX/AS. I couldn't check in at all, presumably document check required for later int'l segment (?), let alone generate a BP showing Precheck status. But with a few minutes at AS CS desk at PDX, got a BP with Precheck noted. Kind of a pain, but I know if I get tot he airport a few minutes early, it will be straightened out.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mczlaw
If the wallet is too fat, maybe consider reducing the size of that big wad of cash
I think you mean leave those credit cards at home

Only time I have a problem is when I book on one carrier and opening segment is on another, such as (on most recent adventure), AA ticket with opening segment on QX/AS.
I'm guessing AA didn't pass the KTN to AS. I know AS does to AA but not to CX for example. It would not be too surprising considering AA doesn't even give the partner conf #'s
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Really? That's the only way to use the Trusted Traveler lines in Canada (for US Citizens)
Does it work going IN to Canada driving in the NEXUS lane? I had thought they have no recognition of GE and you need to get NEXUS. I know it works coming inbound to US in NEXUS lane (even though there is NO signage referencing GE).

Writing on a cool, gray fall morning in Vancouver. Man, that NEXUS card probably saved me 45 minutes or more last night. It always stays in the wallet...cuz you just never know. If the wallet is too fat, maybe consider reducing the size of that big wad of cash
I have a George Costanza wallet... not cash, many credit cards and stack of receipts from my in-progress trip.

So far it appears all my KTNs are good. I will have a chance to test again tomorrow with my wife. I hope it's good because she packs dependent on pre-check!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I just talked to a Phoenix-based Alaska CSR who told me that they had been told that there is currently some glitch in the system and that if one doesn't get PreCheck despite having a TT #, you will have to call and it will have to "manually" be added to that particular itinerary, but it won't necessarily carry over to any following ones. After she took my number out and put it into the PNR, I re-checked and indeed now have PreCheck
Glad you got that worked out and Alaska was willing to do that. I had a situation recently at HNL while flying AA. My boarding pass didn't print PreCheck on it. AA check-in agent's response was "I don't know how to do it". She brought over the supervisor and her response was "Did you pay for it?" and wouldn't do anything other than tell me to go talk to TSA. Yup, that was their solution.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
While I too wish that AS still displayed one's full KTN in one's online profile, I'm curious as to why folks have to go to another airline's website to fetch their KTN number; mine is on my Global Entry card which is in my wallet.

Serious question. Thanks.
Serious answer: I (like many people I know) downsized from a full-size wallet to a small cardholder with a money clip years ago.

Only carry essential cards with me these days, and the GE card is not among them.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Does it work going IN to Canada driving in the NEXUS lane? I had thought they have no recognition of GE and you need to get NEXUS. I know it works coming inbound to US in NEXUS lane (even though there is NO signage referencing GE).
Correct - going in NEXUS required (which I got and have used a few times - def a timesaver so long as everyone you're with also has it). Coming back in a GE card will work.

Last edited by be_rettSEA; Oct 9, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Correct - going in NEXUS required (which I got and have used a few times - def a timesaver so long as everyone you're with also has it). Coming back in a GE card will work.
The reason for this is NEXUS is a shared program between US and Canadian customs - you are interviewed by both US and Canadian officials in order to apply. GE is a US customs program and Canadian customs does not recognize it as a valid fast-track method when crossing into Canada.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by DG206
Pre is never guaranteed. I have had the desk re enter and itll show up then, sometimes not others. Always be prepared to show up to the airport early just in case
AFAIK TSA doesn't "randomly" exclude you from PreCheck during OLCI. Sometimes the name doesn't quite match, or the KTN doesn't go through, or there's just a technical glitch. In my experience having the ticket counter agent re-enter the number has always fixed it. Unless you get the dreaded "SSSS", TSA "randomness" generally occurs at the checkpoint.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:09 pm

ETA: I just talked to a Phoenix-based Alaska CSR who told me that they had been told that there is currently some glitch in the system and that if one doesn't get PreCheck despite having a TT #, you will have to call and it will have to "manually" be added to that particular itinerary, but it won't necessarily carry over to any following ones. After she took my number out and put it into the PNR, I re-checked and indeed now have PreCheck

similar to a few years ago, when they would drop the KTN from your return flight despite it being in your profile. You just had to add it back in and check in again.

Was this outbound and return? You can add it back in the flights pax info on the web site or during checkin I think. That was the previous workaround.

-David
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS
Just tried to check in for flights. Both of us have Global Entry and number is entered into our AS Miles Account.
Just noticed that Pre Check did not show on boarding passes.
Went back into accounts and double checked that Known Traveler Numbers are correct.
Tried Check in again and still no Pre Check on boarding pass.
I guess I will have to have agent enter it manually when we check our bags.
UGH!!! Love AS IT issues.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just tried to check in for flights. Both of us have Global Entry and number is entered into our AS Miles Account.
Just noticed that Pre Check did not show on boarding passes.
Went back into accounts and double checked that Known Traveler Numbers are correct.
Tried Check in again and still no Pre Check on boarding pass.
I guess I will have to have agent enter it manually when we check our bags.
UGH!!! Love AS IT issues.
I have had this happen a few times too where the information in my profile wasn't populated into my reservation. I know when I go to check-in and it is requesting passport information. I can enter my KTN then as well. Call AS and ask them to add it to the reservation over the phone. Once completed, checking in again should give you pre Check.

James
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I had one flight about a year ago where PreCheck appeared one type of boarding pass but not the other. I don't remember if worked on mobile or paper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.