Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2 flights in a row without Precheck, despite Global Entry # in profile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 flights in a row without Precheck, despite Global Entry # in profile

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
100% pre using GE. only one error and that was because I miskeyed KTN on United reservation but once I corrected and checked in again it appeared. They always say randomly you don't get it but never seems to be the case. Its always been some sort of data issue. Ive had precheck on same day turns to the middle east and one ways tickets too.
I have Nexus, GE and my KTN is in my Alaska profile since 2014. I am "almost" 100% on getting TSA Pre and it is also always extended to the other party in my reservation. I have noticed from time to time that the information in my profile doesn't make it into the reservation and I am prompted for Passport & KTN information at check-in.

I said "almost" 100% because I got ssss'd in April but attributed it to flying last minute for a family medical emergency and had booked an international one-way ticket while OLCI was already open. Surprisingly, my Partner on the same PNR was not flagged.

What I find most frustrating is how international flights destined to the United States have to be dealt with. From YLW Kiosks are shut down and all passengers must queue to check their baggage (no self tag, bag drop) and be "interviewed" during the process and then at the gate before boarding. Same experience when transitting Nadi, Fiji. In Hong Kong you can't use the City Check-in nor use the CX First Class Check-in at HKG. After all that, I enter the USA with GE and clear immigration without talking to anyone and customs with a hello.

James
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I said "almost" 100% because I got ssss'd in April but attributed it to flying last minute for a family medical emergency and had booked an international one-way ticket while OLCI was already open. Surprisingly, my Partner on the same PNR was not flagged.
Probably got SSSS'd because of your hatred towards those A320s.

What I find most frustrating is how international flights destined to the United States have to be dealt with. From YLW Kiosks are shut down and all passengers must queue to check their baggage (no self tag, bag drop) and be "interviewed" during the process and then at the gate before boarding. Same experience when transitting Nadi, Fiji. In Hong Kong you can't use the City Check-in nor use the CX First Class Check-in at HKG. After all that, I enter the USA with GE and clear immigration without talking to anyone and customs with a hello.
That's strange. When I left HEL this year, it was absolutely no different than checking in to a domestic US flight. I could OLCI, use the hundreds of kiosks if I wasn't checking a bag and security was easy, efficient and quite pleasant. All the "interview" questions were done at the gate in the extremely efficient Finnish manner.

Kiosks work at YVR too, so certain Canadian airports must have different rules? That's about all I can guess.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Probably got SSSS'd because of your hatred towards those A320s.
Really? Who said I hated the A320? I have flown them before, just not with former VX nor AS for that matter. I don't and never did have any issue with the aircraft. I did have a schedule change recently though on an upcoming CX award YLW-SEA-LAX-HKG-BNE. My SEA-LAX flight had an equipment change from Boeing to Airbus. They moved me from 2F to 2F. It os in February so not sure if it will be reconfigured by then.

That's strange. When I left HEL this year, it was absolutely no different than checking in to a domestic US flight. I could OLCI, use the hundreds of kiosks if I wasn't checking a bag and security was easy, efficient and quite pleasant. All the "interview" questions were done at the gate in the extremely efficient Finnish manner.
I could use kiosks and do OLCI too, most times. I haven't been through HEL but the questioning feels more like an interrogation and repeated at boarding. In HKG I was flying CX F to BOS all US Bound passengers had to queue at a regular check-in counter, without priority, to be processed instead of using the much "nicer" check-in desk. No issues with security, immigration or customs and very efficient outside NA from my experience too. In Australia, you don't need a BP to pass through security, like the good old days in the USA.

I picked up a bottle of water in SYD and it traveled with me, through security from SYD-SCL-MAD-DXB-ICN without issue. In transit in MAD they took it out and analyzed it and then gave it back to me. lol

Kiosks work at YVR too, so certain Canadian airports must have different rules? That's about all I can guess.
Kiosks work at YVR because like YEQ & YYC they have US preclearance and arrive in the USA domestically. YLW & YYJ don't and arrive internationally. Our Kiosks in YLW are unplugged with "out of order" signs on them. You are interviewed and a sticker is placed on the back of your passport before you are allowed into the queue. Also there is no longer an Elite queue.

James
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I have Nexus, GE and my KTN is in my Alaska profile since 2014. I am "almost" 100% on getting TSA Pre and it is also always extended to the other party in my reservation. I have noticed from time to time that the information in my profile doesn't make it into the reservation and I am prompted for Passport & KTN information at check-in.

James
When was the last time you were in HKG? In-town check for US flights in should be back as of 29JUN18.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...s-flights.html
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
When was the last time you were in HKG? In-town check for US flights in should be back as of 29JUN18.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...s-flights.html
September 9th, 10th & 19th, however I wasn't bound for the US. My last US bound flight from HKG was February 18th.

Thank you for the update. I hadn't realized that there were changes in June. I will be in HKG again November 6th and flying CX to LAX on the 7th. In-town Check-in is very handy.

James
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
September 9th, 10th & 19th, however I wasn't bound for the US. My last US bound flight from HKG was February 18th.

Thank you for the update. I hadn't realized that there were changes in June. I will be in HKG again November 6th and flying CX to LAX on the 7th. In-town Check-in is very handy.

James
I agree wholeheartedly. Have a great flight.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
To clear up some misnomers spread by airline staff:

1. TSA Pre is no longer "random". There are algorithims happening in the background (not attached to the airline PSS - Passenger Service System) that will flag travelers "cleared" for Pre who are not part of the KTN sytsem. This is done as a way to "market" the program to travelers who don't know or understand it (ie - TSA wants more $$$$)
2. You *will* always get it if you are booked at least 3 days out and all your information is correct (and part of the KTN system). All US airlines (and flights in/out of the US) have to do a "Pre-vet" 72 hours in advance. The chance of NOT getting it are increased when you book under 3 days and still fall under the "allegedly" sunset Domestic Selection Criteria Rules (one way ticket, cash payment, etc).
3. As mentioned earlier, if even ONE character is off or doesn't match your KTN profile, you will not get a Pre flag.
4. Systems like Delta, the departure control system (DCS) is separate from Deltamatic (their res system). So the only way to "fix" it on Delta is if you completely uncheck-in for a flight, reenter ALL your information, and check-in again. Other airlines are unfortunately moving to this type of IT architecture. Alaska's DCS is presently a Sabre product, tied directly into the Sabresonic reservation partition (PSS).
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
To clear up some misnomers spread by airline staff:

3. As mentioned earlier, if even ONE character is off or doesn't match your KTN profile, you will not get a Pre flag.
I'll add a contrary data point to this criterion. When I set up my DL profile last fall, I inadvertently misspelled my own name by leaving off a letter (e.g., Jonatan instead of Jonathan, although that's not my real name). I didn't catch this until recently, after I had flown at least a dozen DL segments. I went back to my old tickets to confirm and they did indeed show my misspelled name, yet I still got Pre 100% of the time.

I've had GE for about four years now and am 100% Pre on AS, DL, WN, and AA. Not a single one missed.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I was very frustrated when I found that when I logged into AlaskaAir.com that the KTN in my profile is now obscured. I ended up going to my profile at United to find it. I then populated it when I re-checked in on the app and then the pre-check showed in my app BP and I was back on my way.
Agree -- this makes no sense. Alaska makes things worse by forcing you to go to another airline website to find your KTN, and giving you no way of validating if it is correct in your profile

Originally Posted by dmodemd
As to why it was not there, I have a theory. I think it is possible that this one reservation I booked through the app. Maybe it did not pick up my KTN from my profile or I was prompted for it and didn't notice. Otherwise, every time I book online, I don't have to think about it, the KTN comes in. I checked all future reservations and I think they look good.
Reason #462 not to book via the "award winning Alaska app"...
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:54 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
...Alaska makes things worse by forcing you to go to another airline website to find your KTN....
While I too wish that AS still displayed one's full KTN in one's online profile, I'm curious as to why folks have to go to another airline's website to fetch their KTN number; mine is on my Global Entry card which is in my wallet.

Serious question. Thanks.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
While I too wish that AS still displayed one's full KTN in one's online profile, I'm curious as to why folks have to go to another airline's website to fetch their KTN number; mine is on my Global Entry card which is in my wallet.

Serious question. Thanks.
They stopped giving cards out. I think one can still request one for a cost
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Really? That's the only way to use the Trusted Traveler lines in Canada (for US Citizens)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cblaisd
That of course was my first thought but I don't keep my GE card in my wallet. I keep it with my passport [the only time I have ever needed it was when coming back on the road from Canada in the NEXUS lane. Turns out you MUST have the card, not just your passport and GE subscription]. I thought about maybe bringing it along but 1) it is yet one more card I have to fatten my wallet with and 2) one more thing to worry about getting stolen when I don't need it routinely. So I just emailed the KTN# to myself so I could search it again in the future.

Of course the app could try to be smart by populating the KTN field from your profile when you [re-]check-in, but that would be too helpful.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Really? That's the only way to use the Trusted Traveler lines in Canada (for US Citizens)
Same for Mexico by foot. Maybe what i read was wrong because the GE site still mentions card in 6-8 weeks.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
You are referring to TSA Pre cards, I presume? Because I just renewed my Global Entry last month and got a new card (with the same awful photo that was on the last one.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.