Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees

Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by wwongo
I don't think this is true. If it was, Alaska would not sell G/T/R fares. Without the low fare buckets many planes would have a lot of empty seats especially on less popular days or times of year.
I fly a wide range of fares because I can book in advance but I am not flexible on the days. Sometimes I get R and sometimes I pay M. It is supply and demand but planes have the same number of seats no matter the demand so it's the fare that needs to change with the demand. Airlines can't really afford to lose the fare sensitive. That's what Basic Economy is about competing for those people.
Certainly they want to fill the seats, but that doesn’t mean they want to give elite benefits and full EQMs for bargain fares.

The point of granting elite status, from AS’s perspective, is that it’s supposed to identify and reward flyers who are willing to pay a premium for AS. I don’t think they’ll care if they lose some elites who aren’t willing to pay for more than R.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by milypan
Certainly they want to fill the seats, but that doesn’t mean they want to give elite benefits and full EQMs for bargain fares.
​​​​​​
Yep. I might say it slightly differently -- "AS doesn't want to sell its full product at the same price that other airlines are selling their Basic product"

Airlines don't have much difficulty (at the moment) finding other people to buy their cheapest fares on most routes on most days. AS in fact saves money at least in the short term by selling the R fare to a non-elite/non-member.

The experiences of AA, DL and UA have shown that the business model does not collapse when you add this new "tax", however odious it feels. In fact, it's a new cash machine.

Left to its own devices, I think AS would have continued without it. But Wall Street has a lot of influence, and they were not willing to let AS leave $100+M/year on the table

Watch and see when JetBlue caves and joins the party...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by milypan

The point of granting elite status, from AS’s perspective, is that it’s supposed to identify and reward flyers who are willing to pay a premium for AS. I don’t think they’ll care if they lose some elites who aren’t willing to pay for more than R.

I see your point about benefits. Personally, I'm waiting to see the details. The reality is that if the surcharge for avoiding basic economy isn't too much, I will probably grumble and pay it just like resort fees and other annoying surcharges. I often do already pay a premium for AS but so far it has been worth it to me. This is an ever evolving calculus that will come out differently for each person.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by wwongo
I see your point about benefits. Personally, I'm waiting to see the details. The reality is that if the surcharge for avoiding basic economy isn't too much, I will probably grumble and pay it just like resort fees and other annoying surcharges. I often do already pay a premium for AS but so far it has been worth it to me. This is an ever evolving calculus that will come out differently for each person.
"Alaska" Airlines is becoming more infuriating to deal with, especially if you live in a market dominated by them. They wanna go big, so they have to have the race to the bottom.

This also brings up the arugment that since we the fare payers wanted a cheaper ticket via majority, we made our own bed. Wonder how the airlines would screw us over then, those "half-standing" seats come to mind.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
As of now all fare codes for 75k are automatic for Premium class so with this new update will this now be changing?
Old May 11, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bosca418
As of now all fare codes for 75k are automatic for Premium class so with this new update will this now be changing?
AS has not provided this level of detail yet, but since they've pointed to upgrades not permitted for elites, I would anticipate the saver fares would not qualify for PC upgrades, either.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
These changes are a big mistake. More and more Alaska is going head to head with Southwest and the change fees are real. Alaska had something good when it had the 60 day credit rule; it was not as good as Southwest, but it was pretty darn good.

Brad Tilden sees dollar signs and can't see the alienation of the customer.
jackal likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
AS has not provided this level of detail yet, but since they've pointed to upgrades not permitted for elites, I would anticipate the saver fares would not qualify for PC upgrades, either.
That would be my guess, too.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
If I booked a 2 segments CX J award, 1st leg in PE, 2nd in J. As a general member, do I have to pay the $125 change fee if J space becomes available for the 1st leg? Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by rdchen
If I booked a 2 segments CX J award, 1st leg in PE, 2nd in J. As a general member, do I have to pay the $125 change fee if J space becomes available for the 1st leg? Thanks.
I haven't seen this explicitly detailed anywhere, but my guess would be yes, you'd need to pay the change fee (unless you booked prior to 6/5, are more than 60 days from departure, and have not yet used your one free change since the new policies went into effect). Even non-elites traveling as companions with Golds wanting to up-fare to higher fare classes (for upgrades, etc) are subject to the fee on AS metal, so I don't see how this would be any different for awards.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I haven't seen this explicitly detailed anywhere, but my guess would be yes, you'd need to pay the change fee (unless you booked prior to 6/5, are more than 60 days from departure, and have not yet used your one free change since the new policies went into effect). Even non-elites traveling as companions with Golds wanting to up-fare to higher fare classes (for upgrades, etc) are subject to the fee on AS metal, so I don't see how this would be any different for awards.
It's not a new award if OP is booked and paid for in J for all segments of the award but is flying in Y+ because there is no J space for that segment. The magic words to use are "place me in the cabin I have booked the award in, there is now award space available in my originally booked class of travel, I accepted a downgrade on that segment because there was no space available".

If OP was flying Y+/J but wanted to go to J/F on CX (and thus needed to pay more miles) I think that WOULD be the case where the fee would be imposed, because that is an award reissue that changes the actual award. In this case OP just wants the cabin booked and originally paid for on an identical itinerary, and is just waiting for space in the cabin.
hightide and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Thank you for the replies.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's not a new award if OP is booked and paid for in J for all segments of the award but is flying in Y+ because there is no J space for that segment. The magic words to use are "place me in the cabin I have booked the award in, there is now award space available in my originally booked class of travel, I accepted a downgrade on that segment because there was no space available".

If OP was flying Y+/J but wanted to go to J/F on CX (and thus needed to pay more miles) I think that WOULD be the case where the fee would be imposed, because that is an award reissue that changes the actual award. In this case OP just wants the cabin booked and originally paid for on an identical itinerary, and is just waiting for space in the cabin.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Even non-elites traveling as companions with Golds wanting to up-fare to higher fare classes (for upgrades, etc) are subject to the fee on AS metal, so I don't see how this would be any different for awards.
The one exception for companions is on an award booked using a Gold/75K member's miles. The change/cancellation fee is waived in that case.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel

The one exception for companions is on an award booked using a Gold/75K member's miles. The change/cancellation fee is waived in that case.
I assume that's for upfaring only? Because I'm a Gold who has traveling with a non-status companion, and any change led to a change fee ... at least, it did if I didn't immediately book a new itinerary for both of us.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I assume that's for upfaring only? Because I'm a Gold who has traveling with a non-status companion, and any change led to a change fee ... at least, it did if I didn't immediately book a new itinerary for both of us.
Award tickets only, but should apply to any changes, not just upfaring to a higher award/cabin, as long as the miles come from a Gold or 75K.

As an MVP™ Gold, my change fees are waived. What about for my family?

While anyone traveling with you in the same reservation will have their luggage fees waived, the change fee will apply to all passengers other than the MVP Gold. The exception is if your fellow passengers are booked on an award ticket using your miles; in that case, change fees are waived.

Unrelated, but since this is the thread for new fees, I noticed this one

Guadalajara baggage changes: For tickets purchased or last exchanged on or after June 19, 2018, guests traveling to/from Guadalajara will be charged standard baggage fees.

So no more first free bag to/from GDL.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.