Alaska to "refresh" main cabin food menu

Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
And that doesn't even start to account for the added weight from frequent fliers consuming an extra cracker with each F&C plate over time. Am sure they'll have to drop the cracker count down to 3 in a few years just to start to balance out the fuel costs.
With all the AS emphasis on "protein plates" I'm surprised that we even have the 5th cracker. Are carbs #MostWestCoast again?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by obnoxoid
With all the AS emphasis on "protein plates" I'm surprised that we even have the 5th cracker. Are carbs #MostWestCoast again?
The protein plate was the fruit & cheese platter of VX.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS
Just noticed price of fruit and cheese platter increased to $8.50. As soon as they announced revamping meals, this seemed like it would happen. Now, wondering how much drinks have increased ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just noticed price of fruit and cheese platter increased to $8.50. As soon as they announced revamping meals, this seemed like it would happen. Now, wondering how much drinks have increased ?
Please see my comment above. They had to raise the price of the fruit and cheese plate to cover the cost of the additional cracker and the cost of launching it into the air. The bean counters at AS are definitely working overtime these days....
jjmadison and pcoll like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by beckoa
Sad to see everything going cold... as reported earlier.
i was on a flight to HNL two days ago and was surprised to find out the hot food item (coconut chicken) was gone and replaced by a cold turkey sandwich that cost $9. This is bad, as I expect BOB hot food available for a nearly 6 hour flight. AS' offering has really gone downhill. I will skip that cold turkey sandwich next time--the baguette roll was bad.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
i was on a flight to HNL two days ago and was surprised to find out the hot food item (coconut chicken) was gone and replaced by a cold turkey sandwich that cost $9.
Hot entrees were $8.50. So prices have gone up for an inferior product. Excellent.

#SouthofExpected
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:16 pm

i was on a flight to HNL two days ago and was surprised to find out the hot food item (coconut chicken) was gone and replaced by a cold turkey sandwich that cost $9. This is bad, as I expect BOB hot food available for a nearly 6 hour flight. AS' offering has really gone downhill. I will skip that cold turkey sandwich next time--the baguette roll was bad.

Agree, I also preferred the hot BOB offering, especially the Hawaiian themed meals. If I wanted a cold sandwich, I could just buy one before boarding. Also, the competition (Hawaiian) offers a hot complimentary sandwich, so I feel like AS needs to step up its game here. The only positive I could see to the new menu would be if they are able to better match stock to passenger demand. On passenger review sites, a frequent complaint has been that AS runs out of the hot BOB offerings before getting to the last several rows. By charging more for a cold meal, AS may have finally solved its supply and demand problem here. But, seriously, Y on this route has lost complimentary Mai Tais, macadamia nuts and now the Hawaiian themed BOB? Why pick AS over the competition?

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jul 20, 2018 at 6:21 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Flew to ATL (middle seat in PE) this week, and had the "cold" cage free egg and bacon croissant sandwich. When I pre-ordered I had thought it would be a hot meal, wasn't expecting cold but it was actually quite good. I would order it again. (and yes, there was a little tub of something -avacado mayo? on the side that I did not use).
MagicCarpetRider likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
This has been in the works for awhile as a way to streamline their offerings across the fleet as the Airbus acquired in the VX merger don't have ovens in economy. Definitely let them know via Alaska Listens that you're not happy with the new offering and the higher price. We're unlikely to see a return of hot items at this point, but they should at least know the new products they're rolling out aren't being enjoyed.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Looks like drinks are up to $7.50 (though I can't recall what they were before, $7?) for beer and liquor, with wines ranging from $7.50 - $8.50.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:08 am

Anyone able to do pre-orders for main cabin food? Two upcoming reservations (just under two weeks out, on Boeing flights) show the food menu button, but both open to show a "Sorry, the food menu is not available." message.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Farewell, bánh mì, we hardly knew 'ye. Same with the bbq chicken still advertised in my seat back.

Guess it is the "newly" priced fruit and cheese for me from here on out, unless I just bring something.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Has this "refresh" also meant negative changes to main cabin service on transcon routes like LAX-DCA? I heard recently from family who flew DCA-LAX-DCA in the main cabin. Only one drink service and no snacks offered the whole flight, which sounds like a terrible change, especially on this length of flight. My last AS flight was about 2 yrs ago (so pre-merger) with multiple drink services and snacks in the main cabin.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by trek87
Has this "refresh" also meant negative changes to main cabin service on transcon routes like LAX-DCA? I heard recently from family who flew DCA-LAX-DCA in the main cabin. Only one drink service and no snacks offered the whole flight, which sounds like a terrible change, especially on this length of flight. My last AS flight was about 2 yrs ago (so pre-merger) with multiple drink services and snacks in the main cabin.
I believe all LAX-DCA flights are currently on the Airbus (pre-merger VX) aircraft. It's been awhile since I've flown one of those routes, but I think they're still handling most food (and drinks after initial cart pass) through the red system in main cabin. Someone else may be able to comment if it's changed, but I imagine that is the reasoning. On typical transcon routes, they do at least 3-4 services on their Boeing aircraft.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by trek87
I think it is a difference between pM VX crew+aircraft, versus AS crew+aircraft. VX service has always been this way in my experience. Even when I flew LAX-JFK 10 years ago in Y, there was a single beverage cart pass and no comp snacks. Anything else had to be ordered from the seatback screen, although complimentary beverages were readily brought out upon ordering from the screen. Had the same experience flying SFO-OGG on pMVX aircraft in April.

On AS, the service standard has always included a complimentary snack mix/cookie and three beverage cart passes on a transcon, and two beverage cart passes on flights of 2.5-4 hr. Plus usually an additional water service. Hopefully AS will get the VX cabin crew to provide the same level of service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.