Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS still operating 737ís that donít have Premium Class?

Old Apr 20, 18, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines

Iíve got flight 111 from Sea-Anc next week.

The seating map doesnít show a Premium Class.

Does this jet actually have the old thick seats?
Old Apr 20, 18, 1:05 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Well we're gonna need to know what type of airplane you're on. Or the date of your travel. That'd be a good start.
Checking FlightAware, 111 has been operated by every type in the fleet over the past week.
I believe that all -800's and -900's have Premium Class, while the -700's don't.
Whether or not the -700's are fitted with cushy old seats, someone else will have to answer, because I haven't been on one in years.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Legend717 View Post
Well we're gonna need to know what type of airplane you're on. Or the date of your travel. That'd be a good start.
Checking FlightAware, 111 has been operated by every type in the fleet over the past week.
I believe that all -800's and -900's have Premium Class, while the -700's don't.
Whether or not the -700's are fitted with cushy old seats, someone else will have to answer, because I haven't been on one in years.
Its a -700

4/25/18 flight 111 at 3:55
Old Apr 20, 18, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Tankerman View Post

Its a -700

4/25/18 flight 111 at 3:55
According to the seat map, no premium class.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:10 am

The -700's still have the thicker seats that were taken from the -800's.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:43 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Gold, Choice Gold
How many extra seats/rows was Alaska able to squeeze in the 800 by taking out the cushy seats? Anyone happen to know? Or is it a wash with the addition of premium class? And, why do some planes have row 10 with premium class and others do not? Is it an 800 versus 900 difference or are there plans to make row 10 premium throughout the fleet?

Last week I was "upgraded" according to both my app and the board at the gate to "premium class" on the plane, only to arrive at my seat with no premium leg room. I rang my call button and politely asked the flight attendant about the discrepancy (showing her my upgrade on the app), and she said not to worry, and she ended up giving us premium treatment even though that row had not been retrofitted. She was very nice - typical good Alaska service. Other than me, however, everyone else in that row tended to be oblivious to the difference and were not frequent flyers (no other person in the row even ordered alcohol). The FA said some aircraft had not been changed for row 10. However, I wondered if what happened to me was a technical glitch or is there supposed to be a standard of where the fleet will end up in terms of row 9 or row 10? As far as I could tell, there had been no aircraft swap.
Old Apr 20, 18, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH View Post
How many extra seats/rows was Alaska able to squeeze in the 800 by taking out the cushy seats? Anyone happen to know? Or is it a wash with the addition of premium class?.
None, the seat pitch was not reduced on the -800. Pitch in regular economy is 31-32," which is the same was when the a/c were first delivered.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Apr 20, 18 at 12:32 pm
Old Apr 20, 18, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
May not have added extra seats, but lighter seats = less weight = less fuel certainly makes this advantageous for AS.
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
May not have added extra seats, but lighter seats = less weight = less fuel certainly makes this advantageous for AS.
Well, AS did add power to its fleet that was reconfigured. So not sure there was a weight savings there. Do the new seats pending for F class weigh more than the current seats? I'm guessing they do.
Old Apr 20, 18, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH View Post
How many extra seats/rows was Alaska able to squeeze in the 800 by taking out the cushy seats? Anyone happen to know? Or is it a wash with the addition of premium class? And, why do some planes have row 10 with premium class and others do not? Is it an 800 versus 900 difference or are there plans to make row 10 premium throughout the fleet?

Last week I was "upgraded" according to both my app and the board at the gate to "premium class" on the plane, only to arrive at my seat with no premium leg room. I rang my call button and politely asked the flight attendant about the discrepancy (showing her my upgrade on the app), and she said not to worry, and she ended up giving us premium treatment even though that row had not been retrofitted. She was very nice - typical good Alaska service. Other than me, however, everyone else in that row tended to be oblivious to the difference and were not frequent flyers (no other person in the row even ordered alcohol). The FA said some aircraft had not been changed for row 10. However, I wondered if what happened to me was a technical glitch or is there supposed to be a standard of where the fleet will end up in terms of row 9 or row 10? As far as I could tell, there had been no aircraft swap.
The infamous row 10.

Iíve had a couple of similar experiences, usually when booking last minute flights departing Anchorage.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The 700's still have the old seats, which are super cushy and awesome. But there's no seat-back power, so there's that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: