Got promoted to MVP today, weird

Old Apr 12, 18, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Got promoted to MVP today, weird

Both my wife and I were MVP last year but neither of us made it for this year. I am about 1K miles away and she is 100 miles away. We lost the status this Jan. as expected (no complain!). And we are still half way through MVP this year (me 9+k, my wife 13+k). But this morning, we got email from Alaska which said we are MVP now at the same time! I checked the status and they are already updated.

Any idea why? I am happy to receive this kind of complimentary status but would like to know if this is special or there is a wide event on going.

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Did you get a challenge email from AS earlier?

Consolidated 2018 Soft Landing (Renew MVP/Gold/75k) Status Offers
Old Apr 12, 18, 3:31 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
were you part of a status challenge that Alaska did earlier this year? (it was targeted)
Old Apr 12, 18, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

No. Never registered this challenge. It seems we are pretty lucky that Alaska put us on the challenge event automatically somehow.
Old Apr 12, 18, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
Perhaps someone (a MVPG 75K) gifted you the status. It is not unheard of and it is allowed by AS.
Old Apr 12, 18, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
If you were MVP before they may have just been nice and given a bump, in the past being that close a phone call they just push you over.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 12, 18, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

No, nobody gifted me. I don't know any 75K celebrity.... Not to mention that both my wife and I got it at the same time.

I did call AS early January to explain the situation and asked if I can pay to buy status back. However, AS was not very nice at the time. They asked me to pay $300 for my wife (100 miles away) and rejected my request (I actually should be able to reach MVP last year, but the last trip got cancelled due to an errand). I didn't buy it because they didn't accept my case.

But now, they gave me for free....
Old Apr 17, 18, 9:01 am
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Years ago, when I was that close to retaining my MVP- I got a letter from Alaska giving me the opportunity to take 4 segments or so many miles (don't remember what that was) within the first 3 months of the year- to obtain the MVP status. I would imagine that is what happened, you took a trip and triggered that benefit. You have to be very close as you were to get that offer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: