2. Thai F
3. Asiana F (post 2016)

I like BA J more than
1. United J
2. Thai J
3. Jal/ANA slanted J
4. Ethiopian J
5. Aeromexico J

Whenever they have a sale, upgrade with avios and it´s the cheapest first class you will find in the world. For the value, it is unbeatable. Straight up comparison, it is still better than a host of them.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rune87
BA First booked via AS miles. Start the trip in Dublin and the fuel surcharges disappear...
Actually they don't. United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD doesn't apply if stop is under 24 hours in London. That's normal. "fuel" surcharge is still there.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Okay...so start in Dublin with a 23.5 hour layover in Dublin on the way back to the states and you don't get raped on fuel surcharges. I think combined for the 2 of us we paid like $300 in fees for BA First from Dublin-LHR-Seattle. Lol
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
One doesn't need to be a Gary or a Lucky to know that BA First isn't really first class.
Sorry, that came across wrong. Wasn’t intending to negatively associate anyone with that blogger. Just having a laugh at the phrase that was used (for the second time on this thread), and chuckling to myself at how clever the guy who coined/popularized it *thinks* he is.

I almost agree with your statement. Replace “know” with “hold the opinion that”, and you’d have nailed it.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lalala
I can answer, it was great for me when I flew In February , FCO-LHR-SEA, but I'm not very picky when it comes to flights where I'm actually fed and made comfortable. From FCO, the taxes were about 325 bucks and didn't force me to fly FCO-CDG-PHL-long layover- SEA, so I jumped when it opened up.

I would never pay the YQ if I started in my journey in LHR.
What was the aircraft type? Flying FCO-LHR-LAX with 15 hours at LHR, then inside BA F A380 to LAX. I have heard it is an upgrade from the F product in their other aircraft types.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by BOB W
What was the aircraft type? Flying FCO-LHR-LAX with 15 hours at LHR, then inside BA F A380 to LAX. I have heard it is an upgrade from the F product in their other aircraft types.
767 on the fco-lhr is awful. 777 was fine for me on the long leg. Not too picky. Only been on the 380 on AF IN j and not a big fan. You may find it nicer as it is newer.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Okay...so start in Dublin with a 23.5 hour layover in Dublin on the way back to the states and you don't get raped on fuel surcharges. I think combined for the 2 of us we paid like $300 in fees for BA First from Dublin-LHR-Seattle. Lol
Fuel surcharges are a function of the market. DUB-USA will be less than LHR-USA. There are cities that are less than DUB.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:04 pm

My point was that there are ways to avoid the fuel surchages if you want to fly out of Heathrow. One way is to start the return leg in a city that does not have them an route through London. We flew into London inbound, then flew over to Dublin (Super Cheaper) spent a day or two and then started our "Return trip" home. We left Dublin, flew into Heathrow, had a 23.5 hour layover, and then continued on to Sea. It was the way to book the ticket with AS miles and avoid the fuel surcharges that BA normally charges.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point was that there are ways to avoid the fuel surchages if you want to fly out of Heathrow. One way is to start the return leg in a city that does not have them an route through London. We flew into London inbound, then flew over to Dublin (Super Cheaper) spent a day or two and then started our "Return trip" home. We left Dublin, flew into Heathrow, had a 23.5 hour layover, and then continued on to Sea. It was the way to book the ticket with AS miles and avoid the fuel surcharges that BA normally charges.
Yes the all in price goes down but you are mixing up APD and fuel surcharge. APD is waived if stop is under 24 hours. Its $186.40 fuel surcharge (referred to as international surcharge) on the routing you booked, There is not a single departure point on a BA award that waives fuel surcharge. The APD is waived. Here are 2 examples:

With Stopover:

Without stopover
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:21 am

Clearly that little loophole closed then or it was a technical issue. Wish I could find my receipt for that flight now to prove I'm not crazy.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly that little loophole closed then or it was a technical issue. Wish I could find my receipt for that flight now to prove I'm not crazy.
If you paid more than $80 or so there was some sort of fuel surcharge, The price you say you paid is way too high not to have a surcharge applied. For example here is the taxes on an AA flight. Ignore the APD line since I cant give an AA example that doesn't start in LHR. Outside of APD the taxes are much lower than what you paid.

Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
It's great! Hope you have a wonderful anniversary. https://baredemptionfinder.com might help you find your way home (despite alas, not helping me find a way there)
Thank you so much for this tip. That web site sent me an alert this morning and I was just able to snag two F seats on our way back (on the exact date we had already planned to leave, no less). Now I can cross that part of the trip planning off the list!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by david55
How was flying BA First?
BA F is the best business class in the sky. There, I said it.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
BA F is the best business class in the sky. There, I said it.
Behind AA F?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.